96 motor in 94 miata? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16
Total Cats: 4
Default 96 motor in 94 miata?

My motor is toast in my 94, and I can get a 96 longblock with 66k miles on it for 800 shipped. are there any reasons i shouldnt get it? it doesnt come with a harness, so ill be using my original one. anything i will need to modify? Im having trouble finding anything on here or on google about this specific swap. I have until 5pm PST today to make a decision on this motor, so i appreciate any responce. thank you.
Spendington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,804
Total Cats: 494
Default

It's the same engine. Drop it in.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Murfreesboro,TN
Posts: 1,279
Total Cats: 53
Default

The only major difference is that the 96+ blocks do not have the usual oil feed port used on for feeding a turbo drilled/tapped. You'll have to find another way to get the oil to the turbo (probably covered else via the search function).
Midtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: durham NC
Posts: 767
Total Cats: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spendington View Post
My motor is toast in my 94, and I can get a 96 longblock with 66k miles on it for 800 shipped. are there any reasons i shouldnt get it? it doesnt come with a harness, so ill be using my original one. anything i will need to modify? Im having trouble finding anything on here or on google about this specific swap. I have until 5pm PST today to make a decision on this motor, so i appreciate any responce. thank you.
FWIW $800 is way too much for a 96 block. You can get a 100k miles 01+ engine for that.
asmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,778
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmasm View Post
FWIW $800 is way too much for a 96 block. You can get a 100k miles 01+ engine for that.
$800 shipped seems a bit high. I would not pay more then $400-450 at most for a 94-97 motor. I have friends who have bought VVT motors in the $650-800 range off eBay.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Onyxyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 719
Total Cats: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtenn View Post
The only major difference is that the 96+ blocks do not have the usual oil feed port used on for feeding a turbo drilled/tapped. You'll have to find another way to get the oil to the turbo (probably covered else via the search function).
wait - what's the "usual oil feed port"?
I'm pulling oil from the oil pressure sensor per FM's FMII instructions.
Onyxyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,778
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxyth View Post
wait - what's the "usual oil feed port"?
I'm pulling oil from the oil pressure sensor per FM's FMII instructions.
90-95.5 engine blocks have an oil feed port on the hot side of the block. For those years you can pull from there instead of having to tee off the oil pressure sender.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Onyxyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 719
Total Cats: 55
Default

Oh, neat. I'll have to check if my 95 has that. Or I could just drill and tap it on my 96 block while it's apart.
Onyxyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
MartinezA92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 1,702
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyxyth View Post
Oh, neat. I'll have to check if my 95 has that. Or I could just drill and tap it on my 96 block while it's apart.
That has been discussed and I'm pretty sure the consensus is that its a terrible idea/maybe impossible. You'd be drilling quite a few inches and you would have to be perfectly straight, and you'd be introducing unnecessary debris into the oiling system.
MartinezA92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Onyxyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 719
Total Cats: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinezA92 View Post
That has been discussed and I'm pretty sure the consensus is that its a terrible idea/maybe impossible. You'd be drilling quite a few inches and you would have to be perfectly straight, and you'd be introducing unnecessary debris into the oiling system.
Good info. I'll probably end up keeping the Tee off the oil pressure sensor, just because I already have the needed fittings.
Onyxyth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM
starting issue Johnny Tater Engine Performance 3 09-23-2015 07:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.