Just tested my compression, is this reasonable? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 436
Total Cats: 1
Default Just tested my compression, is this reasonable?

Hey guys, I just did a compression test on my car. The car was running fine as far as I know, no smoke or anything, no burning oil. I wanted to make sure the car is up for turbocharging duties.

results were 199, 199, 187, 173

The only thing that bugs me is the 173 but it's less than 15% off so I think it would be fine. Anyways, the car has almost 120k miles and it's a 91 1.6. Should I be concerned with anything or is this thing ready to go?
redfred18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 3,354
Total Cats: 7
Default

IIRC cars over 100 shouldn't be more than ten points off the target number.
turotufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 436
Total Cats: 1
Default

what would the target number be?
redfred18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,328
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

1.6:
Minimum 135 psi @ 300 RPM
Nominal 192 psi @ 300 RPM
Max spread: 28 psi best-to-worst

'99:
Minimum 146 psi @ 300 RPM
Nominal 209 psi @ 300 RPM
Max spread: 28 psi best-to-worst


Don't be a *****. Turbo the car. What's the worst thing that happens, you get confirmation that the engine needed a rebuild anyway?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tinley Park, IL
Posts: 1,488
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Don't be a *****. Turbo the car. What's the worst thing that happens, you get confirmation that the engine needed a rebuild anyway?
+1 Worst thing that could happen is you'll blow a motor that was questionable anyway. Then you could build a nice turbo motor.

Best case scenario is you will have many miles of boosted pleasure.
lordrigamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 436
Total Cats: 1
Default

Haha that's exactly what I was looking for Joe. I was 90% sure I was going to turbo, that post added the other 10% lol. Worst case is I pop the engine and replace it with a 1.8 haha. Thanks everyone for the input
redfred18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 254
Total Cats: 3
Default

Well only bad thing about if you pop the 1.6 and switch to a 1.8 is you will need a new manifold.
kww502 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.