Prepare to ROFL (CryO2 Fuel Cooler) - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

I'm gonna make a CO2 a/c systems. Run a nozzle through your vents and into the cab of the car. Be sure the windows are air tight and let it rip. Be cooled off in no time flat...
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 1,247
Total Cats: 57
Default

oh! oh! pick me! i want a fuel rail made of ice!
mx5autoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #23
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5autoxer View Post
oh! oh! pick me! i want a fuel rail made of ice!
send me 40 bucks and ill send you a bag of water... um, i mean an ice fuel rail...
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 AM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
send me 40 bucks and ill send you a bag of water... um, i mean an ice fuel rail...
Paypal? Sounds like a great idea!
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenesis2004 View Post
Keep facepalming... you seem to be dummy so far.
I agree with him Neo, if you are spraying the outside of the intercooler how would it affect combustion like you say it would?
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
I agree with him Neo, if you are spraying the outside of the intercooler how would it affect combustion like you say it would?
Some would still likely find its way into the engine bay, but as long as you give it a few seconds to blow away, all is well.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Total Cats: 0
Default

You wont win the arguement about this because no circumstances are being stated.

If you run a CAI on your setup (the every little help method) then spraying CO2 into your IC will help. However this help is based upon circumstances of use. The closer you mount the spray bar the better the cooling effect of the spray but the less area it can actually use to take effect. If it is then taken far enough away to reach all of the IC its cooling effect will be lower due to thermodynamics. This also means that at differing velocities you will see different effects as the airflow pattern will be different and not create the same effect.
All this sad you could just run slightly higher AFRs to be in the safe zone but would this not bog down more if the spray wasnt being used?

If you do not have a CAI then of the CO2 entering the bay perhaps 30% of it will be up for combustion assuming your filter is just on the front of the turbo. Now 30% by volume of the spray used is heading to your filter along with say the same amount of air being drawn from near the wheels (probably generous assumption) that means that your engine is now breathing a mix (39% N 8% O 52% CO2 1% Others) instead of the usual (79% N 17% O 3% CO2 1% Others). So your car would run hugely rich, 5-6AFR at least I am guessing. Of course you could map to take account of this change but you would have to use CO2 all the time and have so many engine bay turbulence factors that if you ever got a tune that was streetable I'd be hugely shocked.
rrjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #28
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 462
Total Cats: 3
Default

Isn't this just a "high-tech" version of an old school fuel cooler?

Mr. Gasket 1350 Mr. Gasket Cool Can
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjwilson View Post
You wont win the arguement about this because no circumstances are being stated.

If you run a CAI on your setup (the every little help method) then spraying CO2 into your IC will help. However this help is based upon circumstances of use. The closer you mount the spray bar the better the cooling effect of the spray but the less area it can actually use to take effect. If it is then taken far enough away to reach all of the IC its cooling effect will be lower due to thermodynamics. This also means that at differing velocities you will see different effects as the airflow pattern will be different and not create the same effect.
All this sad you could just run slightly higher AFRs to be in the safe zone but would this not bog down more if the spray wasnt being used?

If you do not have a CAI then of the CO2 entering the bay perhaps 30% of it will be up for combustion assuming your filter is just on the front of the turbo. Now 30% by volume of the spray used is heading to your filter along with say the same amount of air being drawn from near the wheels (probably generous assumption) that means that your engine is now breathing a mix (39% N 8% O 52% CO2 1% Others) instead of the usual (79% N 17% O 3% CO2 1% Others). So your car would run hugely rich, 5-6AFR at least I am guessing. Of course you could map to take account of this change but you would have to use CO2 all the time and have so many engine bay turbulence factors that if you ever got a tune that was streetable I'd be hugely shocked.
Or you could spray a tiny amount of water into the charge air and blow the expensive CO2 intercooler sprayer out of the water. (err, no pun intended)
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #30
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,292
Total Cats: 26
Default

Last I checked ladies... warming the fuel is what can improve the combustion process... not cooling it.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ashe County NC
Posts: 217
Total Cats: -1
Default

Would it be a bad idea to spray brakes with gaseous CO2 when running on a track? I would say it would help cooling immensely... Only problem I see is most tracks not allowing compressed anything inside the car.
adamhershner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

i have the feeling you'd crack the rotors. Imagine cold water on the hot turbo...
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Palm Harbor FL
Posts: 332
Total Cats: 4
Default

**** it never mind.
Intercooler sprayers work, but not well enough to warrant the cost or time it takes to install.
+ I doubt that they would like seeing a bottle of compressed gas in the car at any track aside from a drags strip, where you would spray it before running which completely solves any problem with CO2 in the intake.
^ It would work if you sprayed a light amount into a cooling duct that was going to the brakes, instead of cooling the brakes with CO2 you would be cooling the air going to them. Spraying it directly on the rotors would most likely cause premature failure.
1slowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Total Cats: 0
Default

If you want an IC sprayer do what A Graham Bell says get a washer pump setup with windscreen sprayer and put the button on your steering wheel. About $3 in all and it will work as well as any other unmapped system.
BTW A Graham Bell build engines for NASCAR and F1.
rrjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #35
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Total Cats: 0
Default

Basic tests above show my assumption to be correct. Just wish there was a CAI graph for both too then we'd see the potential cooling benefits of CO2 and N2O alone. Nevermind though it pretty much closes the thread
rrjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #37
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,292
Total Cats: 26
Default

So co2 shows nothing... n2o shows results... because n2o is most likely getting into intake track and then booooom... small shot.

Screw this crap.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #38
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
So co2 shows nothing... n2o shows results... because n2o is most likely getting into intake track and then booooom... small shot.

Screw this crap.
the CO2 shows a DROP in power, lol
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #39
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Springfield, Mass
Posts: 364
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
anybody know what what temperature gasoline freezes? haha
pure unleaded will freeze around -150F.
BRRR!

Last edited by seraph; 10-23-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: ninja edit
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
"Chimney Ethanol" E100 MiataGarage Engine Performance 5 09-30-2015 12:04 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.