What size throttle body to get? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default What size throttle body to get?

Sean is reaming out my stock intake manifold and I am going to cut the pinched neck off and have a pipe and throttle plate welded on. After modification, the stock plenum should be close to 2 liters.

So.

What size throttle body should I get? Choices are 60,70,80,90mm. Will be running 20-30psi.

I make 108,920 horsepower and this is my engine.

Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Pen2_the_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,690
Total Cats: 97
Default

WTF is this bastard for?!?!??!
Pen2_the_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Sean is reaming out my stock intake manifold and I am going to cut the pinched neck off and have a pipe and throttle plate welded on. After modification, the stock plenum should be close to 2 liters.

So.

What size throttle body should I get? Choices are 60,70,80,90mm. Will be running 20-30psi.

I make 108,920 horsepower and this is my engine.

Good 'ol Wartsila engines. Can't live with them. Can't beat the **** out of their absolutely incompetent sales staff.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,366
Total Cats: 1,326
Default

Whatever size you want, since you'll quickly discover that 2 liters is too small and the stock runners are garbage anyway.

Or you can graft a B18 manifold onto the motor and run a 65-70mm TB, or try a 90mm Q45 TB. The larger the throttle body, the better the flow (to a point) and the worse the low-speed driveability is.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Whatever size you want, since you'll quickly discover that 2 liters is too small and the stock runners are garbage anyway.

Or you can graft a B18 manifold onto the motor and run a 65-70mm TB, or try a 90mm Q45 TB. The larger the throttle body, the better the flow (to a point) and the worse the low-speed driveability is.
OK Mr Wet Blanket do you really think the aftermarket honda IM plenums are really 3 liters?
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Whatever size you want, since you'll quickly discover that 2 liters is too small and the stock runners are garbage anyway.

Or you can graft a B18 manifold onto the motor and run a 65-70mm TB, or try a 90mm Q45 TB. The larger the throttle body, the better the flow (to a point) and the worse the low-speed driveability is.
Wouldn't the low-speed problem be (partially) fixed by using a progressive throttle linkage?
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Q45 if the rest of your car is man enough to justify it.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Wouldn't the low-speed problem be (partially) fixed by using a progressive throttle linkage?
??? My motor above is a diesel motor and is not carbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Q45 if the rest of your car is man enough to justify it.
How was low speed driveability for you Jay? Did you notice a change after going from your stock IM/TB to the flipside/q45?

Unlike when my car was stock, about 90% of my driving is not at WOT. Stock I think I was indeed at WOT 90% of the time.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 579
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
OK Mr Wet Blanket do you really think the aftermarket honda IM plenums are really 3 liters?
Do you really think that a stock BP mani flows half as well as any aftermarket b18 mani, much less a nice edelbrock mani?
baron340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
How was low speed driveability for you Jay? Did you notice a change after going from your stock IM/TB to the flipside/q45?
With a progressive linkage on the Q45 the drive-ability was equal to the stock throttle body. I'm a big fan of an aftermarket IM/TB combo, I would recommend staying far away from anything made by Flipside Customs. I personally think you're wasting your time with the oem manifold regardless of which throttle body is on it. Stop trying to polish turds.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,362
Total Cats: 3
Default

I run a Ford 70MM 5.0 TB with no issues and low speed, I had to use a helper spring though I mounted on my plenum because the throttle spring was too weak.
jtothawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.