Wiseco pistons with stock rods - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default Wiseco pistons with stock rods

Hi!
I have 1.8 BP-05 94-98 DOHC protege engine and for about a year ago was working great doing about 250whp with forced induction,till something went wrong with ignition and low octane fuel and i blowed it up!!
Now im rebuilding a new BP-05 engine and im going to use Wiseco pistons part number K553M835, Bore Size = 83.50 / 3.287, Over Size = .020, Comp. Ratio = 8.6 with my stock rods!
My goal is about 300whp, and my question is...
Can the stock rods can handle that much power or no?
And how much can handle?
ake1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

How much can you handle? I'm packing about 8" of sweet-meat and if you're a sloppy fecal freak we can party.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
How much can you handle? I'm packing about 8" of sweet-meat and if you're a sloppy fecal freak we can party.
Nice answer!!

Last edited by ake1ro; 06-06-2009 at 10:16 AM.
ake1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

(self restraint enabled)

Greetings, Newb!

First, let me get some things out of the way before the newb-bashing crew arrives in full force. Put your location in your profile, and put your engine and engine management specs in your sig.

Now that that's out of the way, it seems generally to be the case that the rods are the first weak spot in the BP engine. Stock pistons will generally hold up nicely unless you are abusing them (which I'm guessing is what happened in your case) under which conditions it's quite possible to kill even a Weisco piston.

OTOH, lots of folks around here have bent or broken stock connecting rods without any detonation taking place, simply by putting too much torque through them.

Use the little search button at the top to find out more.

Also, don't mind Hustler too much. You know the guy who always shows up at parties and starts slapping everyone in the face with a giant rubber *****?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake1ro View Post
Nice answer!!
We have better **** to do on here than "momma-bird" the most rudimentary information on this forum that's covered in the newb section and FAQ's that you can read, rather than expect people to chew the information and puke it for you. STFU and never cross me again or you'll be sorry. Final warning. Its nothing short of a god damn miracle that I'm station on based in a classified operation so I can't meet with you in person to address this matter. This bullshit will NEVER happen again, understand?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
We have better **** to do on here than "momma-bird" the most rudimentary information on this forum that's covered in the newb section and FAQ's that you can read, rather than expect people to chew the information and puke it for you. STFU and never cross me again or you'll be sorry. Final warning. Its nothing short of a god damn miracle that I'm station on based in a classified operation so I can't meet with you in person to address this matter. This bullshit will NEVER happen again, understand?
Ασε τις μαλακιες Hustler και σαλτα και γαμησου!!
Και αν εχεις καλυτερα πραγματα να κανεις τραβα ψοφα!!!!
ΜΑΛΑΚΑ
ake1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
(self restraint enabled)

Greetings, Newb!

First, let me get some things out of the way before the newb-bashing crew arrives in full force. Put your location in your profile, and put your engine and engine management specs in your sig.

Now that that's out of the way, it seems generally to be the case that the rods are the first weak spot in the BP engine. Stock pistons will generally hold up nicely unless you are abusing them (which I'm guessing is what happened in your case) under which conditions it's quite possible to kill even a Weisco piston.

OTOH, lots of folks around here have bent or broken stock connecting rods without any detonation taking place, simply by putting too much torque through them.

Use the little search button at the top to find out more.

Also, don't mind Hustler too much. You know the guy who always shows up at parties and starts slapping everyone in the face with a giant rubber *****?
First thank you for answer!
So you say is rather to put forged rods than pistons! Right?
I know that having both is the best but...:
ake1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake1ro View Post
First thank you for answer!
So you say is rather to put forged rods than pistons! Right?
I know that having both is the best but...:
why open the engine if you're only $300 short of doing it right? I have an 8.6:1 motor too with forged guts and its really nice to know that with the equipment and spark advance #'s I'm running, while making max torque, I still have another 150+whp/wtq left in the motor. I can put 20psi through this motor if I want and never worry about it, even though 15psi is more than a handful.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
why open the engine if you're only $300 short of doing it right? I have an 8.6:1 motor too with forged guts and its really nice to know that with the equipment and spark advance #'s I'm running, while making max torque, I still have another 150+whp/wtq left in the motor. I can put 20psi through this motor if I want and never worry about it, even though 15psi is more than a handful.
Correct!!
ake1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake1ro View Post
First thank you for answer!
So you say is rather to put forged rods than pistons! Right?
I know that having both is the best but...:
There are lots of people running forged rods with stock pistons. Rods are the weak link in these motors. With a good tune, stock everthing is safe for 250. Upgrade rods and safe for 300. Above that, do forged rods and pistons.

So, your assumption above is correct, but Hustler is also correct. If you are going through the whole motor, another $300 is probably worth it for peace of mind.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Guest
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vaughan, On, Canada
Posts: 1,092
Total Cats: 0
Default

Stock Pistons are good for 300hp.
Stock Rods = Fail. Not very reliable at that level.
M-Tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 182
Total Cats: 0
Default

I bent a rod at 15psi on my '99, should have put in better rods to begin with. Ended up costing me a fair bit to rebuild it a second time.

Supertech pistons don't cost much more than stock, it's worth the peace of mind. You'll have to have your block bored though, so factor that into the total.
fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Default

I've just ordered M-TUNED Rods!!
299$+60$ for shipping!
Hope to be a good choice!
Back to pistons...
Is there any difference with GTR pistons except the compression?
And what do you guys suggest for pistons?

Last edited by ake1ro; 06-07-2009 at 03:28 PM.
ake1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 182
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake1ro View Post
I've just ordered M-TUNED Rods!!
299$+60$ for shipping!
Hope to be a good choice!
Back to pistons...
Is there any difference with GTR pistons except the compression?
And what do you guys suggest for pistons?
You made a good choice, Marc is a great guy.

I'm using low compression (9.0 from 9.5) Supertech in the motor I'm building right now. I have no idea what GTR pistons are. The other popular option is Wiseco.
fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greece
Posts: 290
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake1ro View Post
Ασε τις μαλακιες Hustler και σαλτα και γαμησου!!
Και αν εχεις καλυτερα πραγματα να κανεις τραβα ψοφα!!!!
ΜΑΛΑΚΑ
: laugh:
gianic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 7
Total Cats: 0
Thumbs up

Geia sou re Ellada!!!
Pantou mesa eisai!!!!
ake1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,624
Total Cats: 1,559
Default

8.6 to 1 is a good compression ratio if you are going for 300whp.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
8.6 to 1 is a good compression ratio if you are going for 300whp.
it was badass at 260whp and 252wtq on the dynydynamics. Lots and lots or spark.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.