General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Insurance, how to keep my investment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Newb

Total Cats: 0
Default Insurance, how to keep my investment.

It's time to get my Miata out on the road a little before putting it way for the winter. That means adding it to my policy again. However, in the past this has ment Texas state minimum (same as my other Miata and kick-around work trucks). This time thou; I'm thinking I want to go with comprehensive. There's a lot of money under that hood, money I want back in the case of fire, theft, or (eek) accident.

But how should I go about obtaining a policy that will give this sunny weekend rider an upfront Actual Cash Value. And what about insisting on NO "competitive" brand replacement parts (or bodyshops). And maybe keeping whats left of the wreck afterward...

It's a dirty thing this insurance, and there's a lot of sludge to muck through, but maybe you folks out could let me know who's the best provider you go with and share any helpfull horror storys you may have.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Tour de Franzia

Total Cats: 375

Sneed has a special miata program. You basically pick the rider amount, drive it less than 5k miles per year, and its dirt ******* cheap.

I can't find anyone in texas who will give me a $15k theft rider.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by hustler
Sneed has a special miata program. You basically pick the rider amount, drive it less than 5k miles per year, and its dirt ******* cheap.

I can't find anyone in texas who will give me a $15k theft rider.
what did you do about the rollbar problem? i had 5k in additionals with progressive, but after the wedding i switched everything over to my wifes state farm policy. they don't offer any customized insurance
Old 08-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Newb

First and foremost comprehensive coverage only will provide coverage if your vehicle is involved in theft, fire, water damage, or vandalism. Comprehensive will not cover if your vehicle is an accident. You will need to obtain collision cov to provide for an accident. Also if you make a claim under your collision coverage you are responsible to pay your deductible. If you are not at fault they will try and recover your deductible from the other liable party.
- The most important thing to do no matter what company you buy your insurance from is to read the policy and ask questions about what you do not understand.
- Progressive Insurance will only cover $1k worth of aftermarket parts. With your full coverage policy. However they will allow you to purchase extra aftermarket parts coverage if you would like cannot speak for anyother ins companies.
-Make sure you keep all receipts and take photos of all parts installed one other thing you might want to know is they will only cover parts that are permantly attached to the vehicle such as mounted w/ bracket or screws. If you have any other questions let me know. Oh yeah I used to be an ins claims adjuster.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Tour de Franzia

Originally Posted by Mach929
what did you do about the rollbar problem? i had 5k in additionals with progressive, but after the wedding i switched everything over to my wifes state farm policy. they don't offer any customized insurance
I don't know about this roll-bar problem you speak of.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Tour de Franzia

Originally Posted by kennymr25
Oh yeah I used to be an ins claims adjuster.
is there anyone that I can go to and just get $15k in theft coverage? I don't care about collision and **** like that, just theft. I don't know that I can produce all the receipts to cover **** that I bought 2nd hand.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 PM

Hustler - there are companies that ensure custom rides, take a video diary / pict of all the parts and provide estimates (where you don't have receipts) and check out someone that does that - this is how the street rod guys deal with ins. Sorry don't know anyone speciic to that area. Also comercial insurance is better for this kind of thing - doesn't matter if you run a buis or not, (with the trailer I got I had to move to a GMAC commercial policy thru an independant agent but it's dirt cheap for what I've got and deductables). I have the dual axle 18x8 car hauler trailer (gieco and progressive wouldn't touch this - insured to 4K), the miata and the 03 yukon with myself and wife all insured at 100/month with 0 ded comp and 250 collision with the higher rental rates and rental ins for renting cars etc and higher coverage rates. On the trailer it's 0 ded comp and 0 collision. I havent pursued custom ins for the miata but I know thats how the street rod guys do it (I looked into it a few years ago).
-B
Old 08-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 130

Originally Posted by kennymr25
- Progressive Insurance will only cover $1k worth of aftermarket parts. With your full coverage policy. However they will allow you to purchase extra aftermarket parts coverage if you would like cannot speak for anyother ins companies.

I have Progressive aftermarket coverage for $4K which means $5K total. If my car gets stolen I guess I'm fucked out of a decent amount of money but if I get in an accident and sexplode my intercooler they'll reimburse me. I hit a guardrail when I was out for a drive in a bad mood one day and smashed my 6ul and my mazda type 2 door sill (ground fx). They reimbursed me the actual cost for the wheel and the sill. Yay. $100 more or so a month. I have a crappy driving record FYI.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Newb

It's starting to look like I should continue to take the low road, spare myself the extra 5-6 hundred a year on premiums, and just tell the man to stuff his **** poor check and I'll keep the wreck to salvage what I can... unless it's stolen.

Lo-jacks just a few hundred a year anyway.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:22 PM
:(

Total Cats: 4

**** lojack man just keep tabs on your ****. As stated above unless u wanna fork over real $ then no one is gonna cover the mods to your car alot of wich would or could be technically veiwed as illegal. My only fear on insurance of an FI miata is upon seeing all the mods the car can the cars insurance be made forfeit under the pretensions of its race gear and our obvius flaunting or shall we say twisting of the laws. And in this case even your liability insurance wont cover anything and that my dear newb is a shitty sittuation i hope i never see.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by hustler
I don't know about this roll-bar problem you speak of.
i thought they wanted certain pictures of the car and if you had a roll bar, they wouldn't insure you.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Newb

ya, lo-jack requires you to call the police; FIRST, in order to activate the unit. I would want to find them first. I guess I'll have to look at a GPS system.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Newb

I have never heard of this rollbar issue. Lots of companies these days let you purchase online and dont require photos of the car. I dont believe this rollbar issue exists but some insurance companies have weird policies.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 3

On a slightly related note....How much do you guys actually pay for your insurance, who is your provider and what type of coverage?

I hve progressive, only liability, one reckless driving when i was 16 (almost 20 now) and i pay $156 a ******* month. This is the cheapest I can find some of the companies I got quotes from wanted upwards of 350-400 a month for ONLY LIABILITY. Go ahead and tell me how much of a raw deal I'm getting, LOL.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Boost Czar

Total Cats: 4,080

Originally Posted by Mach929

state farm is nice. our policy is cheap as hell, and when i totaled it, they asked what i had in it to add to the final price. I gave them over 3K in reciepts IIRC.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Braineack
state farm is nice. our policy is cheap as hell, and when i totaled it, they asked what i had in it to add to the final price. I gave them over 3K in reciepts IIRC.
that's good to hear, i don't have many reciepts, i do have credit card statements, and guess i could print out paypal history, will that work?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Boost Czar

Total Cats: 4,080

it didn't really add any value. i belive the roll bar added like $250 to the final price. i cant remember, wasn't worth the effort looking for them all. But still, the adjuster suggested it.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 1

when I totalled mine all my reciepts added up to nothing according to them. I pay about $900 a year with Progressive for minimum liability. I'm 24 living in the metro area with 2 speeding tickets about 4 years ago
Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by johndoe
when I totalled mine all my reciepts added up to nothing according to them. I pay about $900 a year with Progressive for minimum liability. I'm 24 living in the metro area with 2 speeding tickets about 4 years ago
that sucks, i pay about half that with state farm for full coverage, 28 married somehow nothing on my record
Old 08-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Tour de Franzia

I have state farm. I have $150k in protection, uninsured douchebag, all the bells and whistles crap for the 1991 miata at $56 per month, $75 for the 2000 outback, and $34 per month for liability on my 1994 shitbox miata. I'm 27 with a clean record.

Considering my old corrado disappeared one day, I really want this theft rider.

Quick Reply: Insurance, how to keep my investment.