General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Scirocco style radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:23 AM

Total Cats: 0
Default Scirocco style radiator?

you guys think this radiator would be enough to cool a FI miata?

Ive been eyeballing it because it looks like I can mount it and have room to go between the rad and the top of the core support for IC pipe and still mount a smallish oil cooler there.

overall dimensions, 21.5x13.25x3

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 09-01-2006, 11:11 AM

i thought i saw a member on here who had that rad. I think it was the guy with the twin turbos
Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 AM

Total Cats: -1

Is it smaller than the stock radiator?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM

nevermind it wasnt the guy with the twins

https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3721

I know I have seen it on here somewhere
Old 09-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 399

Originally Posted by BrokeEnthusiast
i thought i saw a member on here who had that rad. I think it was the guy with the twin turbos
Nope. I would love to do a smaller aluminum radiator at one point and redo some plumbing. I can never leave well-enough alone.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:35 PM

well do you think its enough radiator for a fi miata? my goal is 14psi when Im done but I only want one radiator.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 372

It looks as though the core size is smaller than the Miata, which isn't what you want. But it does have some other things going for it- It's a crossflow which is more efficient than a down flow, and it looks as though it's a double pass (in/out on same side/tank) which puts the coolant through the core twice. If it's a single core, the rows are probably thicker/larger than OE too. You have other options outside of summit. That's a typical circle track rad, and they come in other sizes.
Here's what I did. - rob
Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 PM

Total Cats: -2

I upgraded to a dual core, but it's not aluminum from radiatorbarn.com. Didn't cost much and it's able to cool my car with the AC on and I'm running 10psi. I haven't track tested it though. I believe others have used this with success as well.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:34 PM

Ive got a dual core miata rad, but I want to run my piping differently either over the top of a shorter radiator or around the sides of a narrower radiator... I'd also like it to live under the coresupport instead of behind it.

This radiator is dual core, cross flow and about an inch thicker than my current one. I dont know for certain but I think the coolant volume will be about the same.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 372

If it's an inch thicker, I bet it's got an extra row over your current rad. That'll help. And I bet that summit piece is a double pass- I dont' see how the inlet and outlet could be on the same side otherwise. That'll add more temp drop. If you were to go with the shorter rad (as pic'd) you could def run the pipes right over the top providing you don't have a condenser. Though I think what you'll be missing out on is the additonal vertical space that's available on the Miata below the existing rad. Even the stock mouth piece/belly pan doesn't flush up against the bottom end tank. It all depends on how much cooling you need. What makes this summit piece unique is it's narrow and short. I wouldn't think you'd need to give up both the height and width. - rob
Old 09-03-2006, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by m2cupcar
If it's an inch thicker, I bet it's got an extra row over your current rad.
Right now I have the Automatic miata radiator, 2 row all metal. this one says its 2 row on the summit page so I guess they are just significantly bigger?

And I bet that summit piece is a double pass- I dont' see how the inlet and outlet could be on the same side otherwise.
I meant double pass not crossflow. I was looking at two when I wrote that

If you were to go with the shorter rad (as pic'd) you could def run the pipes right over the top providing you don't have a condenser.
I pulled my ac a year ago

Though I think what you'll be missing out on is the additonal vertical space that's available on the Miata below the existing rad. Even the stock mouth piece/belly pan doesn't flush up against the bottom end tank. It all depends on how much cooling you need. What makes this summit piece unique is it's narrow and short. I wouldn't think you'd need to give up both the height and width. - rob
Im reluctant to go lower than the oem one, I have a ground clearance problem as is I would like to either go narrower or shorter, but this so far has been the best Ive found, price v. size v. design... Im still shopping though.