DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Thank you / Turbo miatas rule all!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 PM

Total Cats: 0
Default Thank you / Turbo miatas rule all!

It has been some time since I first started bugging you guys, but the beast has finally been released. This car is so awesome I am still in a state of shock after driving it. The driveability is remarkable. Once past 5k and this car is seriously quick. Its a bit boggy at lower rpms but that is due to 6 degrees of timing. The sound of the exhaust is just about perfect. Thank you to everyone who runs this forum and everyone you has helped me directly or on one of the posts I have studied. The turbo miata is very likely the best drive in the history of the automobile.

I really wasn't looking for big power but I tried to keep all my upgrade options available for when I am able to sell more of my wife's stuff on ebay.

91 with 29K miles
New Begi manifold
GT28 turbo
2.5 inch downpipe and exhaust/ borla muffler
Vortech 12:1
Aluminum crossover pipe
anti surge valve
braided oil lines

have to install:
Pierburg fuel pump
springs/tokico illuminas

Getting very soon..
Bipes
O2 clamp

Ran out of money and time but this winter..
Front mount intercooler
Wideband

As needed..
New clutch! (any suggestions?)

With some serious luck at some point..
Aem ems

The car is hitting 6psi with occasional peaks to 7psi. We beat on the car and temps stayed fine and the plugs look perfect (fat rich). I am going to put some m1 oil in it tomorrow (used cheap oil for the day) and take it to the eighth mile dragstrip tomorrow night. I am a bit nervous about this but the same guy (Cody at Lovefab) who made all my pipes and exhaust is going out with me to help keep an eye on things. For anyone in the great lakes area, I would highly recommend taking your car to him for custom work and/or tuning. Hopefully, I will be able to start actually helping other people with their projects.

Pictures coming soon..
Old 09-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 6

I want to be able to post this soon ...congrats man...lets see her!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 AM

Name:  DSC00596.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  94.8 KB
Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 AM

Name:  DSC00600.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  140.2 KB
Name:  DSC00601.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  80.8 KB
Old 09-30-2006, 09:28 AM

Total Cats: -1

I should be done by the end of october!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:34 AM

Looks good. Love how you just make the parts you need.

cars in the garage. How do you decide?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:41 AM

Don't be too jealous of the cars, I am a 35 year old teacher who has been driving old rx7s and beater civics to save every penny for the past ten years. I am more jealous of you young wippersnappers tearing it up in turbo miatas. Although.... where do you go next!?

The miata will now be my primary driver. It is the only one I can afford to repair when something big pops.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:45 AM

Grab a cheap SAAB intercooler, they can be had for under 40 bucks and they are vey flow efficient enough, If you can, get your hands on a emanage unit for the extra control of fuel and spark, Ebay is a very resourcful place to find a abundence of parts. and look into a wideband for tunning
Old 09-30-2006, 11:02 AM
:(

Total Cats: 4

that is a very nice crossover who ever that guys is he does some clean work. makes me wish i liived up north. And you should change out the brake fluid for some dot4 looks abit dark. have you checked your clutch fluid yet if it is dirty or degraded then your engagment wont be as smooth a turkey baaster and bottle of brake fluid isnt that expensive.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Im going to change out my brake fluid today, Im feeling like total **** today, I've got a cold but I still want to do it....I've put in almost 200hrs at my job this month, Thats going to be a nice paycheck for me on the 15th, 80 hrs + 30 hours Of overtime and thats time and a half pay which is like 18 bucks an hour for those 30 exrtra overtime , It's going to be like a 1400 doller check yay
Old 09-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by magnamx-5
that is a very nice crossover who ever that guys is he does some clean work. makes me wish i liived up north. And you should change out the brake fluid for some dot4 looks abit dark. have you checked your clutch fluid yet if it is dirty or degraded then your engagment wont be as smooth a turkey baaster and bottle of brake fluid isnt that expensive.
Thanks, I hadn't even thought of it, with trying to get the car on the road.

That guy is at www.lovefab.com. If you ever wanted something, I would let him fabricate it on my car. He isn't far from me.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Boost Czar

Total Cats: 4,079

when are you planning on tapping you intake pipe and running your crankcase breather line into some vacuum?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:58 PM

Today, before the strip. Always one more thing...
Old 09-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 322

Looks real good. More advice if you're open:

1. eBay FMIC $100. Cheap set of pipes and couplers that should get you routed. $100. Bipes=$175 used all the time in the forums.
Extra 4psi you can now safely dial in... Priceless. But again, I wouldn't really know as I'm not even boosted yet... DAMN HAMPTON ROADS USED TRUCK MARKET DRIED UP LAST WEEK AND I HAVE NO SECOND VEHICLE AND CAN'T FINISH MY BUILD!!!! but I digress...

2. Take it easy at the strip as you're still on the stock clutch... in fact, minimum slip on the launch. Get the clutch fully out as quick as possible before you really step on it. You'll sacrifice a little et. but you won't have to trailer it home. Lots of advice around here on clutches, my choice is the Spec Stage II.

3. With engine cold. Wrap a plastic ziplock around the filter and douse the engine bay with simple green. Let sit five minutes. Then hose the engine bay down with as much pressure as your thumb can muster over the end of the hose. Always take a clean car to the track, that way if something leaks or too much heat melts something or changes color or something happens that I can't even think of you'll be able to see it. You'll never see new leak if all the "old leak" is still there.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 5

i like the black miata
Old 09-30-2006, 08:53 PM

You guys rule.
I was all ready to video the strip trip trip when Cody cancelled on me because he still needs to finish a manifold. (For a miata, of all things.) So I went for a drive around town, it was great. I can't wait to see what kind of difference the o2 clamp makes, and the bipes too. For those still waiting for their "first TM", its worth the wait. I bought this car over 5 years ago with the intention of putting a sc or turbo on it and it has taken me this long. Hopefully, it will still be tearing it up in five years from now. I stopped by the Mazda dealer on my drive to look at some new miatas and I concluded that I need bigger rims. And a hard top. I may have to sell her minivan.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:56 PM

The stock clutch hasn't slipped at all, I am impressed. However, I keep over reving it when I am looking at the boost gauge or whatever (it revs so dang fast) and it seems like I am burying the tack before I hit the limiter. What is the rev limiter set at?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Total Cats: 7

Get a Bipes for your timing. I was running with no IC and a Bipes for awhile and the Bipes helped me get the bottom end back. I'm now intercooled with 550s and the AEM and loving it. 6psi by 2200rpm 10psi by 3000 and climbing. Hard to keep from going sideways now. Miatas rule! (Next to RX-7s ofcorse)
-LAZ
Old 09-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rotaryjunky
I need bigger rims.
Noooo!!!!! Don't do it!!! Wait, you mean like 15's bigger?

And a hard top. I may have to sell her minivan.
Do this though

I could see that conversation
Old 09-30-2006, 09:37 PM

What is the rev limiter set at?
About 7200. Although you'll probably see close to "7500" before it bounces. Just test it out tonight

Quick Reply: Thank you / Turbo miatas rule all!