Front Desk Questions, suggestions, site problems? Put all your site related threads in here.

Whatever you're doing...

 
Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 PM
  #121  
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit (the part with no rules or laws)
Posts: 4,949
Total Cats: 415
Default

Affirmative.

Erat is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:03 PM
  #122  
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,610
Total Cats: 136
Default

Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Try un-installing the AOL toolbar, the Yahoo toolbar, the Ask Jeeves toolbar, and the twenty-seven other toolbars that you accidentally installed by clicking on the "You've won a free iPad" link.



Trying with Chrome
olderguy is online now  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 PM
  #123  
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago. (The non-murder part.)
Posts: 29,168
Total Cats: 2,870
Default

Both images look fine to me.
Joe Perez is online now  
Old 10-25-2018, 11:28 PM
  #124  
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,610
Total Cats: 136
Default

That was with Chrome. Can't seem to do anything with Edge.
olderguy is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 06:21 AM
  #125  
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago. (The non-murder part.)
Posts: 29,168
Total Cats: 2,870
Default

Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
Can't seem to do anything with Edge.
I would accept that as a universally true statement.

Well, that's not 100% true. Edge is useful as a tool for downloading Chrome.

There's no readily apparent, logical explanation for why Microsoft has never been able to produce a good browser, given that they have actually done rather well in both operating systems and integrated office productivity suites. Different development group, I assume. But ever since Explorer came out to compete with Mosaic and Navigator, they have always just kind of sucked at browsers.
Joe Perez is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 06:47 AM
  #126  
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,610
Total Cats: 136
Default

Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I would accept that as a universally true statement.

Well, that's not 100% true. Edge is useful as a tool for downloading Chrome.

There's no readily apparent, logical explanation for why Microsoft has never been able to produce a good browser, given that they have actually done rather well in both operating systems and integrated office productivity suites. Different development group, I assume. But ever since Explorer came out to compete with Mosaic and Navigator, they have always just kind of sucked at browsers.
I would like to use Firefox, and actually go back to XP, but this newer computer with W10 opens Edge to show *.pdf files and to print and not yet knowing what I will screw up, I have been hesitant. The new site software is horrible no matter how I open it.
olderguy is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 07:05 AM
  #127  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 19,092
Total Cats: 2,404
Default

Try Netscape Navigator. That's what I use.
sixshooter is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 07:12 AM
  #128  
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago. (The non-murder part.)
Posts: 29,168
Total Cats: 2,870
Default

Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Try Netscape Navigator. That's what I use.
You say this jokingly.

I actually have a virtual machine running Windows 98, Netscape Navigator, and some distressingly old build of Java which took quite a while to track down, which I keep on my desktop and laptop machines, because this is the only way I can communicate with a couple of fairly old machines at work which are critical to our operation.
Joe Perez is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 07:13 AM
  #129  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 19,092
Total Cats: 2,404
Default

Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
You say this jokingly.

I actually have a virtual machine running Windows 98, Netscape Navigator, and some distressingly old build of Java which took quite a while to track down, which I keep on my desktop and laptop machines, because this is the only way I can communicate with a couple of fairly old machines at work which are critical to our operation.
I shuddered.
sixshooter is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 07:36 AM
  #130  
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago. (The non-murder part.)
Posts: 29,168
Total Cats: 2,870
Default

Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
I shuddered.
Turns out that when the applet says "... requires Java X.Y.Z or later," the "or later" part does NOT extend indefinitely into the future. If that were written by a time-traveler, it would include the last X.Y.Z build that works, after which Sun / Oracle took away whatever specific feature the applet relies upon in order to function properly.

I assume that we broadcasters are not unique in having 20+ year old machines still in service (with many years still ahead of them, in terms of hardware reliability) that require utterly archaic PCs in order to configure and monitor.

I **** you not: it was just earlier this year that I finally managed to de-commission our last genuine MS-DOS machine.

I mean, I have no hatred for DOS. It did the job well, in its time, and I was proficient with it. The problem was more that the machine it connected to required an interface which was in the form of an ISA card. Have you tried to buy a motherboard with an ISA slot recently?
Joe Perez is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 09:14 AM
  #131  
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,198
Total Cats: 512
Default

Here is a direct download to the latest release of the best browser ever: It will never allow you to accidentally install toolbars.

ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Mosaic/Windows/v3.0/mos30.exe

Good luck and make sure to add some extra animated gifs to your angelfire site for me. If you can't figure out what I mean, just webcrawler it.
y8s is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 AM
  #132  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 19,092
Total Cats: 2,404
Default

My brother used to be in the business of sourcing archaic computer parts to sell to the federal government/military. Some of the things they were trying to keep running were in line with what you are dealing with.
sixshooter is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 AM
  #133  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 268
Total Cats: 24
Default

Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Turns out that when the applet says "... requires Java X.Y.Z or later," the "or later" part does NOT extend indefinitely into the future. If that were written by a time-traveler, it would include the last X.Y.Z build that works, after which Sun / Oracle took away whatever specific feature the applet relies upon in order to function properly.

I assume that we broadcasters are not unique in having 20+ year old machines still in service (with many years still ahead of them, in terms of hardware reliability) that require utterly archaic PCs in order to configure and monitor.

I **** you not: it was just earlier this year that I finally managed to de-commission our last genuine MS-DOS machine.

I mean, I have no hatred for DOS. It did the job well, in its time, and I was proficient with it. The problem was more that the machine it connected to required an interface which was in the form of an ISA card. Have you tried to buy a motherboard with an ISA slot recently?
Not to show off my age (or lack of) but we have some XP machines still in production...I can hardly remember using XP in my lifetime
skylinecalvin is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 AM
  #134  
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit (the part with no rules or laws)
Posts: 4,949
Total Cats: 415
Default

I'm on an XP machine right now. It was this or a thin client that was running some Windows server. I could bring that stupid thing to it's knees just opening a web browser.

I guess 60k a day and 30% of that being straight profit isn't enough to upgrade the computers around here. It's a security risk at this point .
Erat is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 11:25 AM
  #135  
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 4,497
Total Cats: 541
Default

Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I assume that we broadcasters are not unique in having 20+ year old machines still in service (with many years still ahead of them, in terms of hardware reliability) that require utterly archaic PCs in order to configure and monitor.
When I worked for Cisco and a security hole was discovered, there would be a fire drill to patch every single released image for every single affected product they'd ever made. This applied whether or not the product was still considered to be "supported", which caused a bit of a problem a couple of times. It turns out the code for some of those older products required old versions of build tools, which only ran on old versions of SunOS, which only ran on hardware that we no longer had any of. VMs weren't really a thing at that point, so there was a bit of a scramble to go out and find some old Sun hardware...

--Ian
codrus is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 11:35 AM
  #136  
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago. (The non-murder part.)
Posts: 29,168
Total Cats: 2,870
Default

Originally Posted by codrus View Post
When I worked for Cisco and a security hole was discovered, there would be a fire drill to patch every single released image for every single affected product they'd ever made. This applied whether or not the product was still considered to be "supported", which caused a bit of a problem a couple of times. It turns out the code for some of those older products required old versions of build tools, which only ran on old versions of SunOS, which only ran on hardware that we no longer had any of. VMs weren't really a thing at that point, so there was a bit of a scramble to go out and find some old Sun hardware...
We had a similar problem about a year ago.

It was a really subtle and obscure bug in the code which runs a BTS Jupiter router control system (router as in video, not as in Ethernet) which is about 25 years old. (It uses coax 10base2 ethernet, to give you an idea.)

Over the years, BTS was purchased by Philips, and then re-sold to Grass Valley, which was subsequently purchased by Belden.

Now, Belden is really amazing about customer support. If you find a legitimate bug in any product, they will fix it, no matter how old. The problem in this case was that, somewhere along one of the many moves, the engineers lost the whole development environment. As in, they physically misplaced the machine which had the compiler and IDE on it. Everyone was sure that the machine still existed in some warehouse somewhere, but nobody could find it.
Joe Perez is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 11:37 AM
  #137  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,314
Total Cats: 1,630
Default

Daily reminder that fuzzy pictures are awful and nobody wants them.
concealer404 is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 03:07 PM
  #138  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 19,092
Total Cats: 2,404
Default

sixshooter is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 03:28 PM
  #139  
Senior Member
 
Scaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 364
Default

When I open build threads it looks like Japanese **** censors got a hold of MT.net
Scaxx is online now  
Old 10-26-2018, 03:30 PM
  #140  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,297
Total Cats: 2,006
Default

Originally Posted by skylinecalvin View Post
I can hardly remember using XP in my lifetime
I feel incredibly old.
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whatever you're doing...


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.