FC4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Gaming Discuss to your nerdy heart's content

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,198
Total Cats: 260
Default FC4

We have any elitist PC gamers in here playing far cry 4? When I was buying my game at game stop the guy told me loud enough for the 10 other people in line that I was the first person to buy the game for PC. Sad.

At first glance it seems to be FC3 with some different touches to it. Which is not at all a bad thing. FC3 is one of my all time favorite games. So far FC4 is shaping up to be runner up.

I'm only an hour or so into the game right now so anything can change. It looks to have a sort of coop campaign, that seems interesting.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

I almost bought it on steam tonight. But sounds like it still too buggy. And it really sounds like its a huge let down coming from fc3. Probably still going to skip paying for it until ubisoft ditches U play. Or at least lets the steam version run without U play.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,342
Total Cats: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I almost bought it on steam tonight. But sounds like it still too buggy. And it really sounds like its a huge let down coming from fc3. Probably still going to skip paying for it until ubisoft ditches U play. Or at least lets the steam version run without U play.
Nothing but a black screen here my friend.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

I heard you have to unplug all your usb devices then launch it, then plug them back in once it gets past the black screen. It really hates logitech stuff.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,342
Total Cats: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I heard you have to unplug all your usb devices then launch it, then plug them back in once it gets past the black screen. It really hates logitech stuff.
I've tried unplugged my mouse and launching it with my keyboad.
Unplugging my keyboard and launching with my mouse.
Launching with my mouse, and quickly unplugging my mouse while it's still on the splash screen.

No luck :/
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,198
Total Cats: 260
Default

Well i bought a physical copy, then downloaded a 3gb patch.

Mine works fine, even with my 4 Logitech devices plugged in.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,440
Total Cats: 198
Default

I'm a fan of the series. Or maybe used to?

I watched a few video reviews, and I swear someone was just playing FC3 with an expansion pack or something - new scenery, new enemies, new beasts, uhm, that's it.

Same animation when you pick up herbs.

Same animation when you skin an animal.

Almost the same takedown animations.

Same mechanics.

The scenario is really, really weak.

I couldn't listen to any decent background music, just like FC3.

The above is actually my biggest letdown on FC3.

On FC2, the ambient music added so much to the experience/immersion. The music keeps coming back in my head 5 years after, and I instantly want to jump in and play. I've actually played more than 100 hours on FC2, and maybe I'm not even optimistic.

I played FC3 once, then once more for the alternate ending and trying to pickup all items, skills, etc, but that's it.

I'll probably get FC4 when the price drops under 30 bucks.
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
I've tried unplugged my mouse and launching it with my keyboad.
Unplugging my keyboard and launching with my mouse.
Launching with my mouse, and quickly unplugging my mouse while it's still on the splash screen.

No luck :/
Did you try leaving them plugged in but disabling everything usb related in device manager?

Also did you update to the latest nvidia drivers, with phys-x disabled during the update in both the update and the nvida control panel and run the game as admin? Thats about all the bug fixes I saw while looking at it.

It looks like my gtx460 thats been perfectly adequate and still able to run a lot of games maxed for quite a while is now being listed as the minimum spec for a lot of games. I guess its time for an upgrade. Its weird looking at the specs and meeting or exceeding all of the max ones except for graphics.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,440
Total Cats: 198
Default

Hello, this is IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,198
Total Cats: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
I'm a fan of the series. Or maybe used to?

I watched a few video reviews, and I swear someone was just playing FC3 with an expansion pack or something - new scenery, new enemies, new beasts, uhm, that's it.

Same animation when you pick up herbs.

Same animation when you skin an animal.

Almost the same takedown animations.

Same mechanics.

The scenario is really, really weak.

I couldn't listen to any decent background music, just like FC3.

The above is actually my biggest letdown on FC3.

On FC2, the ambient music added so much to the experience/immersion. The music keeps coming back in my head 5 years after, and I instantly want to jump in and play. I've actually played more than 100 hours on FC2, and maybe I'm not even optimistic.

I played FC3 once, then once more for the alternate ending and trying to pickup all items, skills, etc, but that's it.

I'll probably get FC4 when the price drops under 30 bucks.
I'll be honest, FC4 is FC3. Then again, people still buy COD when it's been the same game for the last 10 years.
I can't blame them for not messing with something that's good. So much like a COD fanboy would say COD:blackopsghostrecon is different from COD:modernroguecombat i'm saying FC4 is different from FC3.

As much as i like Ubisoft, i ******* hate Uplay. I wish these companies would quit with all their background software just to launch the game. The stupid thing updates more than the games do.

Also, update drivers? I did that and haven't had any problems. I've tried it with SLI enabled and disabled. Both work fine.

If anyone else gets it and figures out what the coop is all about let me know.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,198
Total Cats: 260
Default

A couple of quick thoughts after about 3 more hours of game play.

Running my GTX560ti 448's in SLI is horrible. Running a single card is absolutely stunning. The game runs almost completely maxed at 1080 well above 40fps. Dips to 30 when in some heavy combat. Still far superior to console. (though my one card is spiking to 190F, no ***** given) Kinda sad... Maybe i need to wait for SLI driver updates for the game.

It's different from FC3 in enough ways to not be annoying. The basic principals are the same, but everything has changed.

Animals are insane. I've run over about 50 animals now and i'm not even trying. Birds randomly attack you, maybe there's an audio que i'm missing.

The hills are annoying. I get that this game is all about the elevation change but man, it's almost a nuisance. Impossible to get up, stupid easy to get down...

The story confuses me. I'm hardly into it yet but i'm confused. Which is good. I like when i have no idea what's going on.

Autodrive is awesome. Though i have run over one of the "friendly" people while in autodrive.

Turn the music off.

I'm having fun. Probably the most fun i've had in a non Indie game since Watchdogs or even FC3.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,903
Total Cats: 612
Default

last time i played far cry was about 2002. would that be FC1? i loved that game, but i didnt have a pc that would run it so i only played at a friends house. i have been tempted to get 4, i think i will when it comes down in price a little.

ive been playing BF3 and WOT lately. WOT is badass if your into that type of gameplay.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_sean View Post
last time i played far cry was about 2002. would that be FC1? i loved that game, but i didnt have a pc that would run it so i only played at a friends house. i have been tempted to get 4, i think i will when it comes down in price a little.

ive been playing BF3 and WOT lately. WOT is badass if your into that type of gameplay.
Buy 3 now then while you wait for 4. FC3 is probably in the top 5 of games to come out in the last couple years.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,903
Total Cats: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Buy 3 now then while you wait for 4. FC3 is probably in the top 5 of games to come out in the last couple years.
$18 on steam ftw! i might just do that when i get home tonight.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Havent played it yet, but I picked up Just Cause 2 on Steam for $3 the other day.
If you like Far Cry you will like Just Cause.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,198
Total Cats: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Buy 3 now then while you wait for 4. FC3 is probably in the top 5 of games to come out in the last couple years.
This.

Then if you like FC3 wait until FC4 is on sale then buy that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
Havent played it yet, but I picked up Just Cause 2 on Steam for $3 the other day.
If you like Far Cry you will like Just Cause.
I didn't like the map size of JC2. It was cool at first, then it was kinda a pain in the ***.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,198
Total Cats: 260
Default

DP

Last edited by Erat; 11-29-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: doublepost
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

I only liked JC2 after I modded the **** out of it and just grapple hooked around using flack cannon mini guns for arms, which was a minor liability on the boss fight on top of the building, I would end up knocking the boss off the top of the building without killing them and then not be able to kill em.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 PM.