95 Merlot obd1 or 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 32
Total Cats: 2
Default 95 Merlot obd1 or 2

I'm going to look at a 95 either tonight or tomorrow, but was wondering about the switch over to obd2 somewhere in 95. Obd scan port should be to the right of the wheel under the dash correct? Anything else on the car to verify whether it is obd1 or 2? Labels, vin, etc..

I'm trying to start out on the right path with an obd1 car due to the emissions in my state.

Turbo complicates this.

Thanks!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Total Cats: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
I'm going to look at a 95 either tonight or tomorrow, but was wondering about the switch over to obd2 somewhere in 95. Obd scan port should be to the right of the wheel under the dash correct? Anything else on the car to verify whether it is obd1 or 2? Labels, vin, etc..

I'm trying to start out on the right path with an obd1 car due to the emissions in my state.

Turbo complicates this.

Thanks!
I think all '95 model year cars were OBD1 with the actual switchover being MY96 cars. Somewhere in actual 1995 the coil wires were changed from 3 to 4 wires to get ready for OBD2

Google should help you out.
bahurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 740
Total Cats: 62
Default

I've read that the switch over happened during the 95 MY. Check for an OBD2 plug, under the steering wheel area. Also check for ECU location, I think all OBD1 cars had them in the passenger footwell, and OBD2 behind the passenger seat, but I don't remember if that's just the difference between 1.6 and 1.8 ECU location.

Also, check hood sticker

acedeuce802 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Downmented's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 485
Total Cats: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedeuce802 View Post
I've read that the switch over happened during the 95 MY. Check for an OBD2 plug, under the steering wheel area. Also check for ECU location, I think all OBD1 cars had them in the passenger footwell, and OBD2 behind the passenger seat, but I don't remember if that's just the difference between 1.6 and 1.8 ECU location.

Also, check hood sticker


I have 95' OBD1 and my ECU is behind pass seat. I believe all 95s are behind pass seat.
Downmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 32
Total Cats: 2
Default

That hood sticker will defiantly help assuming it's still there.
Thanks guys.

Hoping it works out!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lakewood (Green Mountain) CO.
Posts: 75
Total Cats: -9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
I think all '95 model year cars were OBD1 with the actual switchover being MY96 cars. Somewhere in actual 1995 the coil wires were changed from 3 to 4 wires to get ready for OBD2.
No need for Google, you are correct!
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 206
Total Cats: 9
Default

I'm curious. In PA, do you have to pass OBD2 if your car has it, no matter what year it says on the registration?
In NC, it does not matter if the car has OBD2. Any car 1995 or older is not subject to OBD2 testing and only has to pass a safety inspection.
Guardiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 32
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardiola View Post
I'm curious. In PA, do you have to pass OBD2 if your car has it, no matter what year it says on the registration?
In NC, it does not matter if the car has OBD2. Any car 1995 or older is not subject to OBD2 testing and only has to pass a safety inspection.
I've heard rumors of the state changing to a similar law. Any OBD1 vehicle would be omitted from emissions, but as of now it is still a sniffer/tail pipe test. Only two ways around emissions for OBD2 that I know of is to drive less than 5k miles a year or "know someone".

BTW looked at the car last night and it indeed is OBD1.
Going to pick up the car in a few hours!

Might upload a pic later..
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 32
Total Cats: 2
Default


Picked it up Friday! Chrome hoops are already off.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kensington, MD
Posts: 279
Total Cats: -25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardiola View Post
I'm curious. In PA, do you have to pass OBD2 if your car has it, no matter what year it says on the registration?
In NC, it does not matter if the car has OBD2. Any car 1995 or older is not subject to OBD2 testing and only has to pass a safety inspection.
There are few cars before the 1996 model year that had OBD2 (certainly no Miatas), so I don't think that would even be an issue.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 PM.