does this trunk make any usable downforce? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default does this trunk make any usable downforce?

Name:  jonnybravosna15.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  167.9 KB
yes...its time to be a man. Its either this or a top-fuel wing.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,409
Total Cats: 19
Default

From what i understand, on our cars, that area is not one that would be generally condusive to a functioning spoiler. I don't think it is so much of the design of that spoiler, but the design of the car. From looking at Savingtons and what Emilio has had to say, the area close to the trunk is not flowing right and needs to be more elevated to get cleaner flowing air. I could be wrong though.
rharris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 462
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
From what i understand, on our cars, that area is not one that would be generally condusive to a functioning spoiler. I don't think it is so much of the design of that spoiler, but the design of the car. From looking at Savingtons and what Emilio has had to say, the area close to the trunk is not flowing right and needs to be more elevated to get cleaner flowing air. I could be wrong though.
From what I have seen, you are correct.

I don't remember where I saw wind tunnel pics of I think an NB, but I will dig.

Ok, its an NC, I suck.

Name:  top-down.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  soft-top.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  PRHT-wind.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  31.9 KB
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
leatherface24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pembroke Pines
Posts: 4,033
Total Cats: 2
Default

Get the Top Fuel wing. It'll be way loads more functional for sure.
leatherface24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,241
Total Cats: 290
Default

You are wrong- at least with a hardtop on. I tested our motorola cup NB with no spoiler, OE spoiler and wing on pedestals/armature and there is a difference between each. The OE lip created enough downforce make a discernable difference over the at t12 at rd. atlanta - long high speed sweeper. The piece above will do more than the OE spoiler, but it's not gonna beat a wing sitting up high. The nice thing about going wing is you can use a second decklid and just swap it out for track days, if you're not into the lid/spoiler above. I had what was supposed to be a good wing on our cup car, but prominent racer/builder pointed out that the roundness on the trailing edge created massive drag- a killer on the straights (for our normally aspirated car). So it's best to get a good view of the contour/profile if wing shopping. And a sharp trailing edge isn't going to be something you find on a deck lid spoiler.
m2cupcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I'm fighting the desire to make this car more track-worthy because I like driving it on the street so much. The idea was to fly home for the weekend, take it to the track or whatever, then park it and fly back to work. Not to fly home, change everything on the car, then work on it some more when I could be shooting heroine under a bridge with truckers.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 292
Total Cats: 0
Default

2 questions.....is that an axis racing trunk? anddd......what flares are those? im drooling over this miata
DazedandConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,241
Total Cats: 290
Default

Then I'd run that trunk spoiler, because it looks good and it's about as big as you'll get. But with a turbo Miata for track, I say take all the downforce you can stand to look at. That's what will dictate how hard you can press the throttle in the turns.
m2cupcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandConfused View Post
2 questions.....is that an axis racing trunk? anddd......what flares are those? im drooling over this miata
ClubRoadster.net • View topic - NACA Front Bumper [ Guest ]

yes, and for the record my awesome carbon fiber, high-dollar **** will be painted green. lol
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
Then I'd run that trunk spoiler, because it looks good and it's about as big as you'll get. But with a turbo Miata for track, I say take all the downforce you can stand to look at. That's what will dictate how hard you can press the throttle in the turns.
I'm about to just buy another miata to rape at the track I'm over all this bullshit ------ry, and just want to go racing now. I need something rough as hell that I can destroy and not give a ****.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 0
Default

Hustler, ever think about cutting the back bumper like Paul did on both of his miatas? I believe MikeRiv did it too. The idea is that it acts like a parachute and traps air.
ArtieParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 292
Total Cats: 0
Default

im actually color blind so i couldnt see what color any of the car is.haha
DazedandConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieParty View Post
Hustler, ever think about cutting the back bumper like Paul did on both of his miatas? I believe MikeRiv did it too. The idea is that it acts like a parachute and traps air.
this car is way too nice for **** like that. Now, I'd do the the under-body strake **** if someone could make one that didn't stick out too far.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granbury, TX.
Posts: 1,278
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'm about to just buy another miata to rape at the track I'm over all this bullshit ------ry, and just want to go racing now. I need something rough as hell that I can destroy and not give a ****.
Then buy mine and save yourself all the hassle of another build.
Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granbury, TX.
Posts: 1,278
Total Cats: 1
Default

But seriously...... sit down with your trucker friend under the bridge and take a breather for a sec.
Buy the wing - like Matt's and Emellio's.....when you decide you don't want it anymore, trade me for the Butterfly brace.....and then everyone is happy.
Trade and barter......that's how this country was founded.
Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
But seriously...... sit down with your trucker friend under the bridge and take a breather for a sec.
Buy the wing - like Matt's and Emellio's.....when you decide you don't want it anymore, trade me for the Butterfly brace.....and then everyone is happy.
Trade and barter......that's how this country was founded.
Although car naming is totally ghey, I think I'm going to name my green car "Manifest Destiny." We'll see. Right now I don't really want to jack with trying to make it reliable on the track anymore and wish I had stayed NA so I could actually get on the track rather than constantly deal with bullshit I have to build which still won't keep the car from overheating, forcing me to give out handers to truckers for a ride back home so I can cry in my pillow, alone...in the cold.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,241
Total Cats: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'm about to just buy another miata...
Best idea yet - I had a showroom stock miata and street miata. When I broke the ss car I still had a ride. When I had the ss car torn apart on Sunday night, there was no panic to get drivable for Monday. IMO if you don't to do these mods because you like this car that much, then you're not going to want to hit the tirewall when the mustang in front dumps oil on the track. Even though you're not going wheel-to-wheel, I have seen plenty of innocent by-standers crash because the guy in front has dumped something on the track. It happens.
m2cupcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
Best idea yet - I had a showroom stock miata and street miata. When I broke the ss car I still had a ride. When I had the ss car torn apart on Sunday night, there was no panic to get drivable for Monday. IMO if you don't to do these mods because you like this car that much, then you're not going to want to hit the tirewall when the mustang in front dumps oil on the track. Even though you're not going wheel-to-wheel, I have seen plenty of innocent by-standers crash because the guy in front has dumped something on the track. It happens.
I already have an ugly miata that I daily, and an outback wagon. The green car is just really nice. Its not like a show-car or whatever, just to nice to cut and drill.

I had a scary incident where a moron on a porsche overheated his 997 turbo until it popped a headgasket. If I were going 260whp speeds, not 94whp speeds it might have ended on a sour note, rather than a little dirt surfing.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 860
Total Cats: 13
Default

If I were getting serious about aero, I'd be getting myself a cheap ebay spoiler, fab up some adjustable brackets, do some tuft testing on the freeway, and then take an informed decision on what to do next.
The_Pipefather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #20
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

I'm a fan of two trunks and a wing personally.

Open trunk, 4 nuts, swap hood, 4 nuts, close trunk and done.

<-- just feels to damn goofy driving with a wing on the street.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 AM.