Ebay seats - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Harnesses only work if the seat is there to hold you to the seat. Leave 2 inches of slack in all the harness belts, same thing.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,186
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

so again, WTF is your point? the seat isn't going to slide out from under you, pull itself from behind you, and disappear. The harness holds you to it. even with 2 inches of slack its still going nowhere.

So instead of trying to sound like a smart guy, why don't you either make a valid argument or stfu.
I'm all for quality items when quality is needed. In this case I'm desperately trying to get a valid argument against knockoff seats and you're failing at providing one.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Fine, I need to remember my pro-Darwinism stance anyways.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 510
Total Cats: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
I just love how so many people are all about safety. Roll bars, not style bars. Certified harnesses and racing seats. And yet, they remove the airbag to put in a Momo steering wheel.
Air bags are designed to work with 3 points belts, not 6 point harnesses. If you contact an air bag with a harness you don't have it installed or adjusted properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
go ahead and explain to me how one seat will keep you safer then another.
Part of the FIA testing procedure simulates a backwards impact into the guardrail (showing the seat is strong enough not to break under the weight of the occupant). If a seat breaks or bends it could cause contact with the roll bar/cage and also allows the belts to loosen... which could become a huge deal depending on what happens next (rollover, contact with another car, etc)

Funny part is there are used FIA cert seats floating out there for good prices if you look around. I paid $150 for my brand new Momo Cup VTR and $80 for a Cobra Imola II with a couple cigarette burns.
njn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,178
Total Cats: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
so again, WTF is your point? the seat isn't going to slide out from under you, pull itself from behind you, and disappear. The harness holds you to it. even with 2 inches of slack its still going nowhere.

So instead of trying to sound like a smart guy, why don't you either make a valid argument or stfu.
I'm all for quality items when quality is needed. In this case I'm desperately trying to get a valid argument against knockoff seats and you're failing at providing one.
The point is that, yes, in fact, the seat may no longer be underneath you. If the seat tears loose or breaks in some fashion in the initial impact, it is no longer supporting you during the rest of the crash. If the car then rolls, sure the rollbar still does its job, but the harness cannot, because you are sliding around underneath it. To expect the harness to hold both you and an unsupported seat in place through any kind of further impact is simply unrealistic. The harness is supposed to hold you to the structure, and the structure in that equation is the seat. Putting a seat of completely unknown build quality underneath you, with homemade mounts made from mild untreated steel and random bolts from Lowe's Home Racing Dept, is playing russian roulette, even on the street.

Soviet does it with the taiwan Brides he uses, and gets away with it without getting any crap because, well, he's Soviet, and russian roulette is part of his cultural heritage.
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njn63 View Post
Funny part is there are used FIA cert seats floating out there for good prices if you look around. I paid $150 for my brand new Momo Cup VTR and $80 for a Cobra Imola II with a couple cigarette burns.
Yes, look for the real road racers, they have to replace their seats constantly because the SCCA put a limit on how long seats are good for, or some garbage. I can understand putting an expiration date on harnesses and fire suites because UV light does break down those materials, but not seats.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
fire suites
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
SimExperience fiberglass race seat in Chicago area chris101 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-09-2015 10:08 AM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
"Chimney Ethanol" E100 MiataGarage Engine Performance 5 09-30-2015 12:04 AM
NA Seat Sliders and Seat Belt Receivers skipstr Miata parts for sale/trade 2 09-28-2015 11:53 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.