How do you like your hardtop? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/DC
Posts: 468
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'll take sloppy 2nds on rockin' that fine piece!

I sill prefer the vert option though.
I guess thats just me.

The new NC has a auto hard top option.
Has anyone tourboed the NC yet?
Snowsurfer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Holiday, FL
Posts: 563
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsurfer03 View Post
The new NC has a auto hard top option.
Has anyone tourboed the NC yet?
no matter how fast ugly is, I still wouldn't buy one
Fritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #23
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 247
Total Cats: 0
Default

I landed a hardtop for free years ago, all I had to do was paint it. I used for the few months of "winter" here in Georgia over a couple years. It was nice when it was cold out, but for those random days when it warmed up outside, I hated it because it is a pain to take off by myself.

I ended up selling it once the miata was no longer my daily driver, it was just collecting dust hanging on the wall.

If you live in an area with a true winter, you'll love it... If you are in an area with mild winters and occasional temp. spikes to the 60's in Dec./Jan./Feb. like here in Georgia, don't bother.
GTS Miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 244
Total Cats: 0
Default

I really really really really really really wanted a HT. But I also wanted a 1.8L. And I wanted something that wasn't white, black, or red. So, sigh, no HT.

But I'm not sorry in the least.

I have a HT for my 1994 BMW 325ic, and it's night and day. Chassis much stiffer, rear visibility is loads better, less noise, less rattles and creaks, etc.

The Miata, though, appears to be a much better composed chassis, so the rattles, squeaks, etc aren't present in the first place. And the glass windowed soft top is fine for visibility (yeah, there's a blind spot, but you figure that out quick enough). And the heater is excellent, so it isn't really hard to stay warm... plus, then when there's breaks in the weather, you can drop the top.

I do like the appearance of the HT, and might pick one up for track days and investment; but that wouldn't be until next summer, and only if I find one for $500-700. Screw paying wintertime prices for a HT. That $1000 would get me halfway to my turbo, or get a sweet suspension setup, or pay for a handful of track days.
kyle242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,295
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsurfer03 View Post
Hardtops look nice but why would you drive a convert if you can't use it?
Because its light, 50/50 balance from factory, and rwd

I have a hardtop on mine and its getting fully bolted in and down. Will never come off. Car is being setup as a track car with ability to be street driven though... I definitly didn't buy it for its top down abilities
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #26
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I use my hard top when the wind is hot (texas summer), too cold, or raining. Its nice to have, but I wouldn't go out and buy one since I have a daily driver.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #27
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
Total Cats: 0
Thumbs up picked one up yesterday

I bought a 00 miata last week and picked up a hardtop last night. The ride home was dramatically quieter. Being a (mostly) daily driver and living in MN, it's a nice extra. Although, it will be coming off for the two weeks of summer we get up here.

I ended up paying $900 for mine. Probably high... but it was local, in perfect condition, in the right color, and with the right connectors.

hmm... I vaugely remember they could be picked up for a couple hundred when I owned my 96.
gurehamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #28
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

OK, first drive after getting the top. It was only 5 miles and I didn't get over 50. My initial impression is I like it a lot. There was definately less road and wind noise, though I could hear the car more. I never heard the Walbro wine while driving until now. I still had a little wind noise coming from the back of the side windows where they meet the tops c pillar that I hope spitime's striker plates take care of. The car definately felt more stable and makes me understand why people buy the FM braces. Visibility is greatly improved. And... I was able to LOCK THE DOORS.

I understand where SamNavy is coming from. I used to be an avid motorcycle rider. I would ride in heat, cold, mild rain, basically anything but a hard downpour or ice. There was a point where I didn't drive my car to work at all for 4 months. The only reason that ended was a bad knee and leg injury. So I don't mind driving with the top down when it's 30 deg outside, and I don't need the hardtop. But it's a lot nicer to have that option.

Ben
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

People buy the FM braces because they stiffen the chassis of the car. You may think it does because of reduced NVH levels, but the top does not stiffen the chassis of the car.

It's made of fiberglass. If it were a structural component it would not be made of of fiberglass, and it would have a sturdier mounting scheme.
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #30
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

What are "spitime's striker plates?"
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

Probably the user he purchased the hardtop from. Or from whom he purchased just the striker plates.

EDIT: Here he is --> https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/member.php?u=1199
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #32
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bripab007 View Post
People buy the FM braces because they stiffen the chassis of the car. You may think it does because of reduced NVH levels, but the top does not stiffen the chassis of the car.

It's made of fiberglass. If it were a structural component it would not be made of of fiberglass, and it would have a sturdier mounting scheme.
Everything in your above statement had crossed my mind. Bear in mind my ht driving experience is limited to 5 miles of gentle driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
What are "spitime's striker plates?"
splitime=a forum member and I'm buying oem side striker plates from him (the plates that attatch to the body behind the doors that the top's side latches lock into). He's permanately bolting his top down and won't need the latches and plates.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

I really loved my hardtop ... loved the $1000 I got for it. I had my hardtop sold before I took delivery of the car.

The only time I wished I had the hardtop is when I have to autocross in the rain. I hate wearing a helmet in the car with the softtop on.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 4
Default

harddog sells side latches that are different that the eme latches. They are "thinner?" i think so that a roll bar maybe used.

I have them sitting in my garage and am using factory lathches. They look nice.
Pitlab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #35
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

The hard top is made of fiberglass beocuse it is cheaper than alluminum and lighter than steel it realy does make a difference esp when installed properly.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

+1 for getting the miata because it's light and RWD!!

The fact that it's a convertible wasn't the reason I was interested.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #37
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 536
Total Cats: 0
Default

I just purchased a hardtop. Do you guys think it is a good idea to weld it on?
PaKMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:20 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,168
Total Cats: 0
Default

Al Hounos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #39
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

I wouldn't weld it, but I also like easily reversible mods that include being able to take the top off. Even if it is going to be a track car, i'm not sure I would go as far as to weld it. Latches should be easy enough to come by. You can always try partsgroup.com and mazmart.com as well if you can't find them privately.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
The hard top is made of fiberglass beocuse it is cheaper than alluminum and lighter than steel it realy does make a difference esp when installed properly.
Now when you say "difference," do you mean, "makes a difference in lowering NVH levels?" Because I'll readily agree with you there.

But it certainly does not "make a difference" with regard to chassis rigidity. If it did, the fiberglass would crack
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
WTB: RennenMetal Hardtop Brackets greens WTB 15 02-29-2016 05:40 PM
Black hardtop, Los Angeles thebeerbaron Miata parts for sale/trade 2 09-24-2015 04:16 AM
Noob from Fort Worth, Texas checking in. Miatabro Meet and Greet 7 09-11-2015 01:13 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.