Intercooler Behind Firewall? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Clearly I am missing something.
What I haven't seen is many people with 03/04 Cobras, Lightnings, and M62 Colbalt's switching over to an A2A system..

However I see your point, the packaging reason is why I'm not building a W2A system. My worry wasn't so much points of failure..
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #22
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
What I haven't seen is many people with 03/04 Cobras, Lightnings, and M62 Colbalt's switching over to an A2A system..
Just guessing, but probably because they see no reason to tear out a factory-installed (and thus, one presumes, reasonably well-engineered) system. When the Spec Turbo Lightning class gets underway, I would expect to see conversions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
However I see your point, the packaging reason is why I'm not building a W2A system. My worry wasn't so much points of failure..
Not trying to **** on anybody's corn flakes, just curious as to why the most complex solutions sometimes appear to be the most appealing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparetire View Post
Take an autoX for instance,
Yeah, I thought I sort of covered that when I said "for nearly(*) anything other than a dedicated autocross or drag car"

I get it; low speed + high load = heatsoak for an A/A design. That's the only place where I would favor a W/A system, if and only if one is not able (or not willing) to install a CO2 tank (such as a paintball tank) and vent liquid CO2 onto the core during the run. Such a system would be far superior even to a W/A system with an ice chest.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

^ Good point regarding C02. I agree, that would be pretty damn simpe, and you could mount the tank really low too. A solenoid, relay, and hobbes switch would be just about all you need. Thats what, a few hundred bucks for everything and cheap C02 refills?
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #24
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: south east n.y.
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

Does the co2 weaken or damage the ic?
hx1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #25
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

Not if its done properly. I would not want a stream of liquid C02 going on there, as that would risk cracking the material due to the huge and rapid temp change locally. But C02 will go right to gaseous form as it leaves a nozzle more or less instantly so thats not really a problem. Long story short, no longevity issues.
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #26
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ulster County, NY
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default

Well the auction is ending in a couple of days if anyone wants to play around with this idea (are you even allowed to cut the firewall in an AutoX car?).
Mazda BP sheet metal alumunim intake manifold : eBay Motors (item 170446547871 end time Feb-21-10 18:30:08 PST)

Name:  BPComponents002.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  87.0 KB
Georonimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #27
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,292
Total Cats: 26
Default

This has to be the sneakiest route to a 10 post rush to sell something.... ever.
Splitime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #28
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ulster County, NY
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
This has to be the sneakiest route to a 10 post rush to sell something.... ever.
Would you have preferred a bunch of random "SWEET!" posts?

I've been a member since 07 and visit regularly to see what "the other half" of the BP world is doing with these engines. I see nothing wrong with starting a relevant technical discussion regarding a part that I'm selling.
Georonimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 277
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach929 View Post
on my next build i want to mount a bov in the cabin facing my passenger
Or a whoopee cushion.
Sam TII is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
01-05 Fab9 PNP COPs (used) FrankB Miata parts for sale/trade 6 09-30-2015 12:48 PM
why is my car running like pewp? (tune/datalog) itsMikey MSPNP 3 09-28-2015 07:40 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 PM.