Jackson Racing & 949 Racing @ MRLS - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Jackson Racing & 949 Racing @ MRLS

Old 09-14-2014, 02:32 PM
  #41  
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,573
Total Cats: 11
Default

1994 miata for the win


Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT View Post
This is pretty much exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I'm actually thinking of going back to a 1.6 with this kit simply for the ease of passing emissions on a regular basis.
cardriverx is offline  
Old 09-14-2014, 04:03 PM
  #42  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 158
Total Cats: 2
Default

Nice to see these back on the market. Now to decide this or K swap.
natedawg is offline  
Old 09-14-2014, 06:07 PM
  #43  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,707
Total Cats: 1,557
Default

Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
Nice to see these back on the market. Now to decide this or K swap.
Thats a tough call if you are mechanically adept and do not require CARB compliance. K swap costs more but can make about the same power.

Viewed as a $/whp question, the Rotrex comes out slightly ahead. Ease of install is no contest, in favor of Rotrex. Torque, I think a K24 can make 230lbs on gas which is about what we made on E85.

Then there is the possibility of bolting a C30-94 onto a K24. We're already looking at that as a future project. Maybe 400whp and 300lbs tq.
__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

1:1FTW
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
.. since all the manufacturers list a 8.5 inch wheel max. That's a 1.5 inch stretch, are you really OK with that?
emilio700 is online now  
Old 09-14-2014, 07:29 PM
  #44  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 46
Total Cats: 1
Default

Originally Posted by cardriverx View Post
1994 miata for the win
Yeah well I bought the whole car for $650
Chris GTO TT is offline  
Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 PM
  #45  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,304
Total Cats: 57
Default

Are there any plans to release a C30-94 kit? With wastegate control that would really have a broad torque curve. Wide open it would be a monster.
k24madness is offline  
Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 PM
  #46  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,707
Total Cats: 1,557
Default

Originally Posted by k24madness View Post
Are there any plans to release a C30-94 kit? With wastegate control that would really have a broad torque curve. Wide open it would be a monster.
No CARB version but the C30-94 bolts right up otherwise. It will be a simple drop down menu option on the race kits.
__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

1:1FTW
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
.. since all the manufacturers list a 8.5 inch wheel max. That's a 1.5 inch stretch, are you really OK with that?
emilio700 is online now  
Old 09-15-2014, 01:09 AM
  #47  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,027
Total Cats: 3,086
Default

Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT View Post
Yeah well I bought the whole car for $650
Just don't tell them that you already have a 1.8 swapped car, and you're planning to swap back to 1.6.

I bet even Emilio will give you a hard time about that lol, just like I do every time we talk.

Heck, Scott will probably ban you if he finds out

(PS: don't do it.)
18psi is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 03:32 AM
  #48  
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,805
Total Cats: 0
Default

Then there is the possibility of bolting a C30-94 onto a K24. We're already looking at that as a future project. Maybe 400whp and 300lbs tq.
Really going to need a transmission solution at that point. Any plans beside the race only incremental upgrade of gears?
Nagase is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 01:17 PM
  #49  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,707
Total Cats: 1,557
Default

Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
Really going to need a transmission solution at that point. Any plans beside the race only incremental upgrade of gears?
We don't, no. We won't be pursuing a solution for the handful of Miata owners looking for 300lb capacity while retaining street manners for under $4k. There are more owners willing to run dogs and the K swap crew will add to that.

Agreed that the community could use a 300lb syncro box, it just won't be us doing it.
__________________


www.facebook.com/SuperMiata

949RACING.COM Home of the 6UL wheel

1:1FTW
Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
.. since all the manufacturers list a 8.5 inch wheel max. That's a 1.5 inch stretch, are you really OK with that?
emilio700 is online now  
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM
  #50  
Supporting Vendor
 
KMiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 542
Total Cats: 251
Default

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Then there is the possibility of bolting a C30-94 onto a K24. We're already looking at that as a future project. Maybe 400whp and 300lbs tq.
YES that is something we will eventually be test fitting too. You can make 400whp out of a $400 junkyard Accord motor with a lame header.
KMiata is offline  
Old 09-17-2014, 11:39 PM
  #51  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 46
Total Cats: 1
Default

Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Just don't tell them that you already have a 1.8 swapped car, and you're planning to swap back to 1.6.

I bet even Emilio will give you a hard time about that lol, just like I do every time we talk.

Heck, Scott will probably ban you if he finds out

(PS: don't do it.)
I'd rather spend time, money, and energy going to the track than having to mess around with too many emissions things.

Besides at least I'm planning on boosting the 1.6 where as i'd likely leave the 1.8 NA if I keep it.
Chris GTO TT is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM
  #52  
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Thats a tough call if you are mechanically adept and do not require CARB compliance. K swap costs more but can make about the same power.

Viewed as a $/whp question, the Rotrex comes out slightly ahead. Ease of install is no contest, in favor of Rotrex. Torque, I think a K24 can make 230lbs on gas which is about what we made on E85.

Then there is the possibility of bolting a C30-94 onto a K24. We're already looking at that as a future project. Maybe 400whp and 300lbs tq.
Weight also should be a factor. Superchargers aren't light, while the K swap removes something like 60lbs. Probably a 100lb difference over the front end between the two kits.
MOABmiata is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 04:17 PM
  #53  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,595
Total Cats: 966
Default

Originally Posted by MOABmiata View Post
Superchargers aren't light, while the K swap removes something like 60lbs. Probably a 100lb difference over the front end between the two kits.
Bro, do you even Rotrex? Shipping weight on my entire C30-74 kit was 39lbs
EO2K is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 PM
  #54  
Supporting Vendor
 
KMiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 542
Total Cats: 251
Default

Originally Posted by MOABmiata View Post
Weight also should be a factor. Superchargers aren't light, while the K swap removes something like 60lbs. Probably a 100lb difference over the front end between the two kits.
With A/C and P/S removal and the K24 swap, our car dropped over 100 lbs. Its a 2000 and last weigh in was 2278 lbs. Full interior, roll bar, OEM hard top and soft top, race seats and harnesses, no spare tire, and half a tank. Can't complain about that.

That being said, if you are adding weight, I like the idea of adding it in the form of a Rotrex
KMiata is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 668
Total Cats: 60
Default

Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Bro, do you even Rotrex? Shipping weight on my entire C30-74 kit was 39lbs
Please stop making this so damned tempting.

Next you'll tell me the Rotrex kit not only comes with a CARB EO but will spontaneously generate kittens as well.

SchmoozerJoe is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 PM
  #56  
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 0
Default

Not disagreeing that a rotrex isn't worthy weight to add, and I didn't know that rotrex's were so light. The Lysolm 1.2L twin screw on my car weighs ~38lbs by itself and that isn't even including the intercooler, piping, etc. All together my supercharger kit is probably close to or more than 60lbs. Still worth it though
MOABmiata is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 PM
  #57  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,378
Total Cats: 313
Default

No kittens. Just sparkly rainbow baby-unicorn-shaped bubbles out the tailpipe.

I like my Rotrex. It allows me to drive like a hooligan during autocross, and get more seat time on the edge of traction. Occasionally seat time watching the edge of traction part ways with me.

Mobius is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Full_Tilt_Boogie
Build Threads
63
08-09-2018 06:54 PM
emilio700
Wheels and Tires
151
06-02-2017 02:36 PM
Quinn
Cars for sale/trade
6
10-23-2016 07:58 AM
Frank_and_Beans
Supercharger Discussion
13
09-12-2016 08:17 PM


Quick Reply: Jackson Racing & 949 Racing @ MRLS


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.