NA Rollbar Hardtop woes - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Total Cats: -7
Default NA Rollbar Hardtop woes

Hey peeps,

I was so close in being the owner of a new (kinda) snugtop. Right of the bat I can see the difference from the sellers HD hardtop rollbar from mine. I have the M1 HD double diagonal non HT, I was able to install the top, but it created tremendous stress on the rear roof, and the rear glass was bulging; seemed like the window stripping was about to detach. I'm now faced with two choices, either I modify my bar by shaving (grinding off some of the corners) to make it fit, or I sell it and buy the sellers HT bar.

From the experienced members here whom have dealt with this, was it worth modifying the bar?
mushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,009
Total Cats: 583
Default

So worth it. Whenever I go to the track, they tell me that's the only reason I pass tech.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 491
Total Cats: 39
Default

I managed to come across two snugtops with my hard dog rollbar and neither fit. It isn't worth modifying your top, just sell it and buy an inexpensive frp top from treasure coast Miata or Alex at second chance if your near SoCal.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,644
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokomis View Post
I managed to come across two snugtops with my hard dog rollbar and neither fit. It isn't worth modifying your top, just sell it and buy an inexpensive frp top from treasure coast Miata or Alex at second chance if your near SoCal.
Do we have actual confirmation it fits with the Hard Dog Hard Core non-Hardtop versions? That would be fantastic.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

He's not talking about modifying the top, he's talking about modifying the roll bar.

Do NOT touch the roll bar. Either get a OEM top, or get a different roll bar.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,110
Total Cats: 127
Default

Get an oem hardtop
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 491
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
Do we have actual confirmation it fits with the Hard Dog Hard Core non-Hardtop versions? That would be fantastic.
I have no direct experience with either of the suggested tops, your best bet is OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
He's not talking about modifying the top, he's talking about modifying the roll bar.

Do NOT touch the roll bar. Either get a OEM top, or get a different roll bar.
This +1, I forgot to mention that. Snug tops are generally junk anyways and don't seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
Get an oem hardtop
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,644
Total Cats: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
He's not talking about modifying the top, he's talking about modifying the roll bar.

Do NOT touch the roll bar. Either get a OEM top, or get a different roll bar.
Ah, see I read his post to say, "If the OEM hardtop won't clear, the Treasure Coast one should." Roko, not the OP.

This is not Club Roadster, my car actually goes to the track. I know not to touch the roll bar itself.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,009
Total Cats: 583
Default

Yes, my initial response regarding "grinding on the roll bar!?!?!" was a lame attempt at satire. I really didn't know what to say after reading something so moronic. I should have said nothing.

Curly's response was much better.

Working on seat back braces for my Ultrashields today!
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 491
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
Ah, see I read his post to say, "If the OEM hardtop won't clear, the Treasure Coast one should." Roko, not the OP.

This is not Club Roadster, my car actually goes to the track. I know not to touch the roll bar itself.
My impression of the treasure coast top is its copied from the OEM top so theoretically it should work. They also have a model with uses OEM window seals for the sides so it shouldn't leak.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Total Cats: -7
Default

Funny thing is quite a few members have performed this feat, and there have been members whom have made this rollbar fit with a hardtop. The point of starting a thread like this is for assistance, not dimwitted sarcasm. I have decided to sell the roll bar


Next time if you don't have anything productive to say, then don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
Yes, my initial response regarding "grinding on the roll bar!?!?!" was a lame attempt at satire. I really didn't know what to say after reading something so moronic. I should have said nothing.

Curly's response was much better.

Working on seat back braces for my Ultrashields today!
mushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,009
Total Cats: 583
Default

Sorry Frank. That's how we roll here. If you invite sarcasm, you'll get it.

I'd wager that NO member here (that isn't banned anyway) has ever purposefully weakened critical safety gear for the sake of appearance.

Z31 said it, this isn't CR.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sonora, Ca
Posts: 623
Total Cats: 73
Default

In addition you could drill half inch holes every few inches for weight reduction.
bikersam717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Total Cats: -7
Default

Didn't mean to be hard headed, it was a rhetorical question. I know members do modifications on other stuff, So I was curious about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
Sorry Frank. That's how we roll here. If you invite sarcasm, you'll get it.

I'd wager that NO member here (that isn't banned anyway) has ever purposefully weakened critical safety gear for the sake of appearance.

Z31 said it, this isn't CR.
mushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
WTB: RennenMetal Hardtop Brackets greens WTB 15 02-29-2016 05:40 PM
Black hardtop, Los Angeles thebeerbaron Miata parts for sale/trade 2 09-24-2015 04:16 AM
Noob from Fort Worth, Texas checking in. Miatabro Meet and Greet 7 09-11-2015 01:13 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.