Na tires on 17X7 wheel - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 254
Total Cats: 3
Default Na tires on 17X7 wheel

What tires do guys think are good on an Na Miata that has been lowered on 17X7 wheel. Mostly will street the car. Also will a 215/40/17 fit without issues scrubbing.
kww502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
rccote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,595
Total Cats: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Coffee everywhere. Thanks.
rccote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

lmfao

pure ******' pwnage, nice play hustler
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,791
Total Cats: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Lawlzzzzzzzzzzzzz, that was awesome.

I would think 215/40/17's would fit just fine with the right offset, if you can't afford some 18's or 19's.
pdexta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:30 AM   #7
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,181
Total Cats: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww502 View Post
What tires do guys think are good on an Na Miata that has been lowered on 17X7 wheel. Mostly will street the car. Also will a 215/40/17 fit without issues scrubbing.
end yourself
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

lol i got that one via IM lol you suck hustler!!!!
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,106
Total Cats: 518
Default

Uh, to summarize for everyone else kww502, no one here will give you any sound advice about 17" wheels. Anything bigger than 15" drastically degrades the handling characteristics of the Miata, and this site is 99% about power, handling, and brakes. The other 1% puts some nice leather seats in their cars and some upgraded speakers, but that's about it. Perhaps www.blingmiata.com would be more to your liking.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 243
Total Cats: 3
Default

troll of the month goes to hustler, god damn I cant even keep up with him anymore.

DontPassTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Hear me Meow
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,994
Total Cats: 13
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Uh, to summarize for everyone else kww502, no one here will give you any sound advice about 17" wheels. Anything bigger than 15" drastically degrades the handling characteristics of the Miata, and this site is 99% about power, handling, and brakes. The other 1% puts some nice leather seats in their cars and some upgraded speakers, but that's about it. Perhaps clubROADSTER would be more to your liking.
There, I fixed it for you.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

try asking what good 15 inch tires there are and then see if the come in a 17"
y8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

**** you guys for picking on my 17"s...
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,106
Total Cats: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
17" wheels are for ****.
Fixed your sig.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 254
Total Cats: 3
Default

Thanks for all the useless posts at some point I do plan to run a smaller rim and tire combo in diameter when I track the car but considering when I purchased the car back in 99 it already had some three piece 17s on it and I like the look. I kept them for driving on the street and was trying to get some good info. But I guess if ur a little different no one cares to give good technical advice.
kww502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
Hear me Meow
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,994
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww502 View Post
But I guess if ur a little different no one cares to give good technical advice.
I think it's less that nobody cares and more that nobody else is running them so nobody else knows what tires are good in that size. I'm sure some people don't care to give you good technical advice, but I don't give you any simply because I don't have any to give.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 254
Total Cats: 3
Default

I understand that skidude.
kww502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,106
Total Cats: 518
Default

Problem is none of us have any experience with 17 wheels or tires, so the only thing left to do is harass you.

Even on the street most of us will not like the loss of "flingability" that heavier wheels cause. For this reason, we'll run 15's with sticky tires on the track, and 15's with less sticky tires on the street. If you want good tires to buy, the Kumho Ecsta AST is a decent cheap tire, along with the Ziex 912. Good luck in your search.

And I apologize for my previous blingmiata.com comment.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Braselton, Ga
Posts: 40
Total Cats: 0
Default

I think a 16" wheel is as large as you'd want to go on a NA without raising the height of the miata, I think a 205/40/16 is the same diameter as a 185/60/14, I don't recall.
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #20
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

pilot sports
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 PM.