oil cooler time - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default oil cooler time

I think I should get one since I'm tracking the 1.6 currently, then I can use it with the turbo build.

I will get the FM thermostat'd sammitch plate.

Questions:
Is the more expensive "bar and plate" design better than "tube and fin?"
Is it really worth the extra $100 =/- for braided lines and AN fittings?
Can I swap out the AN fittings on the FM sammitch plate for barbed fittings?
Where is the best spot to mount, considering I'll have an intercooler soon?
Should I get a fan for the cooler?
Do you really want to hurt me?
Do you really want to make me cry?

Thanks.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

I'm running a a sandwich plate w/tstat I got on ebay for $40, using some npt-to-AN adapters and custom made SS hose purchased on ebay for $60. I picked up the cooler from racerparts wholesale - http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/cooler1.htm - but since then I've seen better deals on eBay.

IMO using the 1.8s liquid cooler is a very cheap way to go, just pull the longer threaded mount from the 1.8 block and the cooler assembly and your golden.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 464
Total Cats: 0
Default

FC RX-7s have a nice sized oil cooler. As well as some of the Saabs...
PAT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Is the more expensive "bar and plate" design better than "tube and fin?"
Yes, and it's not so much a matter of cooling efficiency as flow restriction. In a bar & plate design, the oil flows through all of the bars in parallel, so the effective path from inlet to outlet is short. In a tube design, the oil flows through the entire serpentine length of the tube, with many bends. There's a reason we don't have tube-and-fin intercoolers.

Despite this, the bar & plate design is *very* efficient. I have the smallest one Earl's makes, and it's too much cooling capacity. Went from running 230-240 degrees (at drain plug) on hot days, to barely getting the oil up to 150 on short drives, and never exceeding 180. And this is with an FM sandwich plate / thermostat! (I wonder if I can shim my thermostat...)

Quote:
Is it really worth the extra $100 =/- for braided lines and AN fittings?
I think so. For one thing, those ends are never gonna come off, and for another, it's nice to know that if a line starts chafing against the body, the body is gonna give way before the line does.

Quote:
Can I swap out the AN fittings on the FM sammitch plate for barbed fittings?
Difficult. The FM plate is threaded for 1/2" BSP. After considerable searching I found that Pegasus sells BSP to AN adaptors (I was converting from -8 to -10) but I've never seen a BSP to barb adaptor, at least not in the US. I guess you could go from BSP to NPT, and then from NPT to hose barb.

Quote:
Where is the best spot to mount, considering I'll have an intercooler soon?
There isn't one. Mine is stuck to the front of the I/C with those damn thrugh-the-core plastic ties, which looks stupid and pre-heats the intercooler. If you have an NB, you could try the foglight hole maybe.
Pictures: http://www.geocities.com/thraddox/oi...2/cooler2.html

Quote:
Should I get a fan for the cooler?
Definately not.

Quote:
Do you really want to hurt me?
Do you really want to make me cry?
Give me time
To realise my crime
Let me love and steal
I have danced inside your eyes
How can I be real
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

I would look for a cooler off of a sportbike or quad. They're small and dirt cheap. Check for people parting bikes out on forums or ebay.

A T-stat is a must; oil that doesn't come to temp is bad.

<edit>
Like THIS
THIS
THIS
I think you get the idea

Last edited by Ben; 03-09-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
I'm running a a sandwich plate w/tstat I got on ebay for $40, using some npt-to-AN adapters and custom made SS hose purchased on ebay for $60. I picked up the cooler from racerparts wholesale - http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/cooler1.htm - but since then I've seen better deals on eBay.

IMO using the 1.8s liquid cooler is a very cheap way to go, just pull the longer threaded mount from the 1.8 block and the cooler assembly and your golden.

I'd go with an ebay samitch plate / t-stat, but what about it fitting on a 1.6? What is that spacer for?

What hose lengths am I looking for?

Is it dumb to get the big cooler from here, since the car will get track beatings with the impending turbo build?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

The plate has an adapter style threaded pipe that screws on to the 1.6 boss and then sandwiches the plate to the block filter seat. That leaves with a chevy style thread that can receive just about any filter you want. I'm running one from a 79 bonneville that holds 1/2 quart of oil- it's BIG. You need to sort out your positions before you buy the hose. Get your cooler and plate, then use some copper house electrical wire to make your "mock" hose runs.

What kind of temps did you see at the track event? I haven't tracked my car, and it's got a different engine so I can't really comment on your situation.

There's a few guys here doing track events that don't have a cooler at all- but you're in TX and that might change things. Scott is running a 1.6 w/boost and seems to track regularly and has no cooler. Y8s has the OE cooler only (I think) and he tracks. I Joe Perez has a cooler setup similar to what you're looking at- maybe he'll comment.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
The plate has an adapter style threaded pipe that screws on to the 1.6 boss and then sandwiches the plate to the block filter seat. That leaves with a chevy style thread that can receive just about any filter you want. I'm running one from a 79 bonneville that holds 1/2 quart of oil- it's BIG. You need to sort out your positions before you buy the hose. Get your cooler and plate, then use some copper house electrical wire to make your "mock" hose runs.
Do you have a link or a pic...I'm still kinda confused.

Why does FM include a "spacer" with the 1.6 sandwich plates?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

I dont run an oil cooler but then again I dont have an oil temp gauge either. I've only had the car out with the turbo once.

people report seeing cooler water temps with an oil cooler so apparently it helps the whole system ...

but have you weighed those ones like rob posted from racerpartswholesale? HEF-TY. if you've got a solid place to mount it (under the headlight in the fender well where it's protected on all sides), stick with the cheapee tube and fin.

I bet that spacer is just for fitment. I haven't seen a 1.6 filter mount.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
I bet that spacer is just for fitment. I haven't seen a 1.6 filter mount.
Apparently its necessary for something.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

I think the spacer is to get the sandwich plate off the block so the cooler lines can be attached. In the case of the 1.8s the OE cooler is the spacer.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
I think the spacer is to get the sandwich plate off the block so the cooler lines can be attached.
Yup. The filter mounting surface is sort of oddly recessed into the block - without the spacer you wouldn't be able to attach the lines.

Quote:
I think Joe Perez has a cooler setup similar to what you're looking at- maybe he'll comment.
Kinda thought my initial page-long reply constituted "comment."
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
...Is it dumb to get the big cooler from here, since the car will get track beatings with the impending turbo build?
Probably would've made more sense if I finished the sentence-
...maybe he'll comment... on size.

Agree- AN fittings are used on race cars for a reason, the don't leak and manage abuse.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

you guys think I can get away with 6' of hose?

Last edited by hustler; 03-09-2007 at 09:09 PM.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 536
Total Cats: 0
Default

what about one of those blue ebay oil coolers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HI-Pe...ayphotohosting
PaKMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,900
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKMaN View Post
what about one of those blue ebay oil coolers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HI-Pe...ayphotohosting
damn "Core Size: 9"x5.25"x2" a bit big i would think.
Arkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #18
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKMaN View Post
what about one of those blue ebay oil coolers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HI-Pe...ayphotohosting
these are cheaper, and probably better quality:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/cooler1.htm
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
steelrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 514
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I would look for a cooler off of a sportbike or quad. They're small and dirt cheap. Check for people parting bikes out on forums or ebay.

A T-stat is a must; oil that doesn't come to temp is bad.

<edit>
Like THIS
THIS
THIS
I think you get the idea
Hey Ben, do you think the flow-through rate on the cores for bikes would be big enough? Wouldn't it potentially, change the oil flow characteristics (aka make the pressure higher, since the holes look really small?)

Or am I just on crack about this one?

Dave,
steelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 AM   #20
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I just bought the 24 row, and the FM plate...and apparently FM can't get shipments out when you place the order at 6AM.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone help me with AE ihiryu MEGAsquirt 33 10-08-2015 05:56 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
Missing/knock at idle, can someone point me in the right direction? Mikel MEGAsquirt 4 09-28-2015 05:46 PM
why is my car running like pewp? (tune/datalog) itsMikey MSPNP 3 09-28-2015 07:40 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.