Recommendations for a roll bar - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London,OH
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 13
Default Recommendations for a roll bar

hey guys im looking into roll bars and i need a little assistance, first off car is 96-m with original seats and interior. I am 6'3-6'4 depending on which connivence store im leaving. i also have a hardtop and the glass window non zippered softop that i would like the keep in case i have the HT off and get caught in the rain. i would also like it to be scca/nasa ready in case i get the race bug.
TIA
redturbomiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 192
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturbomiata View Post
hey guys im looking into roll bars and i need a little assistance, first off car is 96-m with original seats and interior. I am 6'3-6'4 depending on which connivence store im leaving. i also have a hardtop and the glass window non zippered softop that i would like the keep in case i have the HT off and get caught in the rain. i would also like it to be scca/nasa ready in case i get the race bug.
TIA
You're asking a lot there. The fact that you're tall AND you want/need it to fit under a hardtop is a tall order. Can you forgo the seat slider? This would give you a couple more inches of room to legally fit under a commercial rollbar. You could also go custom, but I don't think that would help much to be honest.
tpwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturbomiata View Post
hey guys im looking into roll bars and i need a little assistance, first off car is 96-m with original seats and interior. I am 6'3-6'4 depending on which connivence store im leaving. i also have a hardtop and the glass window non zippered softop that i would like the keep in case i have the HT off and get caught in the rain. i would also like it to be scca/nasa ready in case i get the race bug.
TIA
I would get a hard dog or boss frog. You may or may not fit under the bar, but you're most likely to fit if you bolt the seat to the floor (ie get new seat(s)).
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: finger lakes NY
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 17
Default

So is that the only solution?

Roll bar + hard top + tall person = bolt seat to floor?

I will not give up the hard top; I can not tolerate cowl shake.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
So is that the only solution?

Roll bar + hard top + tall person = bolt seat to floor?

I will not give up the hard top; I can not tolerate cowl shake.
Given the helmet clearance regulations yes thats one fo the best ways to do it. There is only so much room inside a miata and a rollbar that is lower than your head doesnt exactly provide alot of protection.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London,OH
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 13
Default

Well right now clearance isn't a huge deal, no track time in the forseeable future. Obviously I don't want my head in a place to where there's a bunch of my head above the bar but. Yea...
redturbomiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,458
Total Cats: 48
Default

Highest rollbar option is one of the Hardcore variants. This is the easiest test in the world. Put your helmet on and get in your car. If you can't fit in the car with helmet on with the top up then no rollbar will be high enough. The rollbar obviously can't be higher than the top, so if you do not fit, you must drastically lower your seat somehow. I'm 5'10" and I don't pass the helmet test so good luck.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London,OH
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicharger665 View Post
Highest rollbar option is one of the Hardcore variants. This is the easiest test in the world. Put your helmet on and get in your car. If you can't fit in the car with helmet on with the top up then no rollbar will be high enough. The rollbar obviously can't be higher than the top, so if you do not fit, you must drastically lower your seat somehow. I'm 5'10" and I don't pass the helmet test so good luck.
i think if track time every comes up for me i will have the HT on, Which with the seat bolted to the floor wont be a problem with a helmet, siting in the stock seats with sliders i have about a hand between my head and the top. i plan to upgrade seats and bolt the drivers side to the floor or get some really short sliders.also the hardcores dont work with glass rear window. wall and a hardplace
redturbomiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,458
Total Cats: 48
Default

At 6'3" you have a hands width between your head and a hardtop with stock seats?? SOB I need to get a hardtop because at 5'10" my head is brushing the roof, WITHOUT a helmet on. What the hell man. I have a seat that should be here this week. I'll post all sort of pics when I put it in.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,458
Total Cats: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturbomiata View Post
.also the hardcores dont work with glass rear window. wall and a hardplace
Go for the version that fits Robbins tops. When I ordered my M2 Sport from Goodwin the normal version I wanted was backordered, so Goodwin substituted a version that is slightly different that fits the Robbins tops that apparently have bigger windows or something. Call some vendors and see if there is a hardcore robbins version and that would be your best bet to clear a glass rear window.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturbomiata View Post
i think if track time every comes up for me i will have the HT on, Which with the seat bolted to the floor wont be a problem with a helmet, siting in the stock seats with sliders i have about a hand between my head and the top. i plan to upgrade seats and bolt the drivers side to the floor or get some really short sliders.also the hardcores dont work with glass rear window. wall and a hardplace
The boss frog works with a glass rear window. I am sure Harddog have a variant that works with that too. I don't know if its "track" compliant, but i think the Ace is what its called? I maybe confused, as its been a while.
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 192
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicharger665 View Post
At 6'3" you have a hands width between your head and a hardtop with stock seats?? SOB I need to get a hardtop because at 5'10" my head is brushing the roof, WITHOUT a helmet on. What the hell man. I have a seat that should be here this week. I'll post all sort of pics when I put it in.
It's all down to torso length. I've got a buddy who's the equivalent of 6'5" from the waist up.. and 5'6" legs. Poor guy was in the infantry too.
tpwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London,OH
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 13
Default

yea my legs are all my height basically, the stock m seats feel like they sit lower than my 92s stock seats and they definitely sit lower than the Mazdaspeed knock offs that were in there.
redturbomiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,458
Total Cats: 48
Default

The different years seats fit me differently. The cloth 2000 seats I had about an inch of headroom. The cloth 2004 MSM seats 1/2 inch. The 2001 leather seats 0 inches lol.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 AM.