Redline on 90 miata - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guam (U.S Terr.)
Posts: 786
Total Cats: -2
Default Redline on 90 miata

I remember bouncing off the redline before. So last night i told my friend that the redline on my car was over 7 and he didnt believe me so i took out for a drive. I was in 2nd gear a put my foot to the ground. The dam thing almost went to 8 so i let off as fast i can. I was like WTF thats seems a little to high. Then i thought to myself were the **** did my rev limiter go.

Ps: My friend was speech less knowing his 04 sentra spec V only rev to like 6,200.
mike_671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,198
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

im speechless that people bounce off the rev limiter just for the hell of it...maybe im just ----, but id never beat on my car just cause
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: worcester ma
Posts: 1,124
Total Cats: 0
Default

in my old civic i hit redline at least*** once a day....

in the miata, not so much so, not as much faith in the motor
urgaynknowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

The tach receives it's signal electrically, so there's always a minor delay. If you stomp on it in the lower gears, the needle will accelerate so fast that when you hit the limiter, the needle still has a little momentum and will continue past the 7200rpm limiter. 8k is a little high even for that though. I'm with 18psi though... for longevity of the engine, I usually try to shift between 6500-6800rpm.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,841
Total Cats: 0
Default

Ther was a idiot that kept bouncing his rev on his bike. He thought it sounded cool. I always wished it would blow up. I told him that was stupid. He rev'ed one night, and we got pulled over causing me to get a ticket. Well, my mouth got me the ticket. The cop started busting my *****. I told him. Why did you pull me over? He was the one that rev'ed. Do you pull over all the cars cause one is speeding? He gave me a helmet ticket. I don't know how they can do that. Tx state law doesn't require helmets, and state law over see's city ordinaces.
Oh'well. Only things like blowed motors and ***-o'delic tickets come out of bouncing rev limiters.

ps: Yes, I made up ***-O'delic. And I always wear a helmet. We were just ideling flirting with the drunk chicks on the walkway. I had to let the ladies see the what they were getting.Lol
Toddcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guam (U.S Terr.)
Posts: 786
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
The tach receives it's signal electrically, so there's always a minor delay. If you stomp on it in the lower gears, the needle will accelerate so fast that when you hit the limiter, the needle still has a little momentum and will continue past the 7200rpm limiter. 8k is a little high even for that though. I'm with 18psi though... for longevity of the engine, I usually try to shift between 6500-6800rpm.
Yea that what i wanted to know. I shift at 6800 to 7000 rpm. When im in boost i feel like the power band starts at like 4000 and ends at like 6000. I hope almost hitting 8000 rpm didn't do anything to my motor.
mike_671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guam (U.S Terr.)
Posts: 786
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
im speechless that people bounce off the rev limiter just for the hell of it...maybe im just ----, but id never beat on my car just cause
I was trying to prove something. Ivonly bounced on it once since last night besides that i never go higher then 7
mike_671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 172
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_671 View Post
I remember bouncing off the redline before. So last night i told my friend that the redline on my car was over 7 and he didnt believe me so i took out for a drive. I was in 2nd gear a put my foot to the ground. The dam thing almost went to 8 so i let off as fast i can. I was like WTF thats seems a little to high. Then i thought to myself were the **** did my rev limiter go.

Ps: My friend was speech less knowing his 04 sentra spec V only rev to like 6,200.
Revs have nothing to do with anything except how fast you can rev the motor before you float a valve and or piston velocity (and therefore tensile force on the rods) goes through the roof. Slap your friend and tell him not to be amazed.

On another note, I'm with the others...I like to stay off the rev limiter if at all possible. I think it's more of a "hey stupid you're over-revving your car" thing, than a "hey no matter what you do I'll save your motor" thing.
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guam (U.S Terr.)
Posts: 786
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Slap your friend and tell him not to be amazed.

mike_671 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
New M62 Miata owner Pist0n Meet and Greet 4 10-01-2015 09:18 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.