Slow workday engine swap discussion - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default Slow workday engine swap discussion

FE3 block, RF-T-di (or any FR based diesel) head, rods (if different that the FE3), pistons, and injection setup, B2200 bell housing on miata 5 speed with NA FC 5th gear, 3.3 R&P. I see custom pan, custom down pipe (maybe header), and custom mounts and thats it for the hyper miler master. And somewhat silly track day or endurance racer. If you can use the FE3 rods then it probably can safely be spun to 7k if needed (probably wont make any power there without a bunch of work and/or adding a turbo) and if the injection pump can handle that. The older ones seem to be mechanical injection so wiring would be a snap.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
FE3 block, RF-T-di (or any FR based diesel) head, rods (if different that the FE3), pistons, and injection setup, B2200 bell housing on miata 5 speed with NA FC 5th gear, 3.3 R&P. I see custom pan, custom down pipe (maybe header), and custom mounts and thats it for the hyper miler master. And somewhat silly track day or endurance racer. If you can use the FE3 rods then it probably can safely be spun to 7k if needed (probably wont make any power there without a bunch of work and/or adding a turbo) and if the injection pump can handle that. The older ones seem to be mechanical injection so wiring would be a snap.

I mean... why?

And not just "why diesel miata" but also "why **** around with FE3 block?"

Just dump the entire RF in there. I also highly doubt that the FE3 rods are any stronger than the diesel rods.

If you want to do a stupid F-block swap, then look at the F8 DOHC. 2:1 rod:stroke ratio madness. ALLTHERPMS.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

I wasnt sure that the later RF's had the same bell housing bolt pattern. Hadnt gotten that far in the research. But yeah that would make sense.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

It might not, but it'd probably easier to put the new RF DI head on an old RF block than it would be to mcgyver all that **** into an FE3 block.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

But the FE3 block and the older RF blocks are supposed to be the same besides the internals and it should be a lot easier to fine an FE3 bottom end in the states than an RF.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Drill spark plug holes in diesel head, then run gas. Direct injection on a 90s engine!
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
But the FE3 block and the older RF blocks are supposed to be the same besides the internals and it should be a lot easier to fine an FE3 bottom end in the states than an RF.
It just sounds unnecessarily complicated.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,186
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

in for another "Leafy" thread
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Yeah. The suck part of this swap seems to be that the only RF to be sold in north america was an old one in the ford tempo. They didnt get even get sold in japanland so no cheap JDM takeouts. Only european jobies and no body imports jap car parts from europe.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Drill spark plug holes in diesel head, then run gas. Direct injection on a 90s engine!

More like 60s engine.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
in for another "Leafy" thread
Down the rabbit hole
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Down the rabbit hole
So the B2600 used to come with a 4G54B or something like that, which means the 4D65, 4D68, 4D55, and 4D56 should all bolt to the bell housing or at least the early ones. I also forgot about the R2 that came in the B2200 but those dont seem to exist either. The mitsu 4 banger diesels came in a ton of random stuff during the late 80's and early 90s.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

The 4G54B came with the carb'd B2600 and from what I've read it was trash. The fuel injected B2600i came with an R box.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
So the B2600 used to come with a 4G54B or something like that, which means the 4D65, 4D68, 4D55, and 4D56 should all bolt to the bell housing or at least the early ones. I also forgot about the R2 that came in the B2200 but those dont seem to exist either. The mitsu 4 banger diesels came in a ton of random stuff during the late 80's and early 90s.
Don't you guys get 4 cylinder diesels that aren't from the 80/90s? We have plenty over here, but never looked at what would be not ****-heavy cast iron and easily RWD adaptable with a non-**** transmission.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
So the B2600 used to come with a 4G54B or something like that, which means the 4D65, 4D68, 4D55, and 4D56 should all bolt to the bell housing or at least the early ones. I also forgot about the R2 that came in the B2200 but those dont seem to exist either. The mitsu 4 banger diesels came in a ton of random stuff during the late 80's and early 90s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
The 4G54B came with the carb'd B2600 and from what I've read it was trash. The fuel injected B2600i came with an R box.

ALL B2600 transmissions were actually R-boxes. The fun part is that you can use the mitsu-powered B2600 trans to do a RWD 4g63. With some creative parts swapping, you could literally just bolt an RX7 TII trans to a 4g63.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

I thought the mitsu-powered B2600 came with some **** transmission that doesn't hold power?
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,092
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Don't you guys get 4 cylinder diesels that aren't from the 80/90s? We have plenty over here, but never looked at what would be not ****-heavy cast iron and easily RWD adaptable with a non-**** transmission.
No, the american consumer is a moron. Only 4 cylinder diesels we got until the current diesel revival were VW, and TDi still hold mega value, because people who want TDis arent morons and know diesel cars are cool as ****. Want to ship me a mazda diesel engine? Or even everything besides the block and crank itself? Lol.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #18
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,186
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

direct injected carbs
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
No, the american consumer is a moron. Only 4 cylinder diesels we got until the current diesel revival were VW, and TDi still hold mega value, because people who want TDis arent morons and know diesel cars are cool as ****. Want to ship me a mazda diesel engine? Or even everything besides the block and crank itself? Lol.



You find it, buy it and pay for it, sure.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,186
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

Have him sent you $100,000 and "refund" him $90,000
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.