is this totaled? - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #41
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

I'd take the check, buy it back, buy a portajack, chain that bitch to a light pole, straighten it out, then use the rest of the money to buy an Exocet kit. Sell whatever extras you have for 2 weeks. Whatever is left after that, throw away.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #42
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
Don't listen to these guys, seriously. I fixed a much worse wrinkled frame with a few hours work. The most important thing is to be sure the frame is square. If it is not square, than you have to decide if it's worth the expense or not. There are tools and shops that can fix that with no problem.

It all boils down to how important the car is to you. If it were me, I would fix that car in a heart beat.
Here we go again.

"Totaled" does not mean "not fixable." Totaled ONLY means that the cost to repair the car at normal labor rates and parts costs is greater than 70-70% (depending on insurance provider) of the ACV of the car.

The insurance company will surely declare this vehicle a total loss.. HOWEVER, it is fixable, so you'd be silly to NOT buy it back.

My car's estimated repair cost was over $10,000. I have spent less than $500 in parts so far, and the body work will cost less than $2,000. After buying new wheels, I'll still be under $3k all said and done for the repairs, and my car was MUCH worse than this.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #43
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

My racecar is bent. And its honestly been the biggest pain in the *** ever as there's a whole bunch of sheet metal that you can't measure that is apparently not in the correct locations after being hit in the front a couple times. And then there's the frame rail wrinkle behind the sway bar bracket.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
My racecar is bent. And its honestly been the biggest pain in the *** ever as there's a whole bunch of sheet metal that you can't measure that is apparently not in the correct locations after being hit in the front a couple times. And then there's the frame rail wrinkle behind the sway bar bracket.

Escort is bent as well. ****** has a clear title.

MX6 is bent, passenger floor is nice and wrinkled. MX6 = ain't care. Takes an alignment.

Escort = pain in the dick because all the adjustable suspensions and OCD not liking arms adjusted out 1" differently on each side.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #45
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,009
Total Cats: 583
Default

My cars aren't bent at all. But the engines suck.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #46
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Escort is bent as well. ****** has a clear title.

MX6 is bent, passenger floor is nice and wrinkled. MX6 = ain't care. Takes an alignment.

Escort = pain in the dick because all the adjustable suspensions and OCD not liking arms adjusted out 1" differently on each side.
My subframes and bits all line up right. The front and rear tracks are offset like 3/32nd of an inch though which is mildly annoying when doing alignments. Its the bits of sheet metal that are in the way of where the tires want to be thats the most annoying and also trying to make aero bits to fit.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #47
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Where you see the body plug has come up from the floor a bit. I'm not sure this is from being totaled or if it's from me riding around yoloslammed and hitting something. Nice and wrinkled and punched up a good 2-3".

It's ok. I have a big hammer. I can fix it.

Attached Thumbnails
is this totaled?-20140531_184317.jpg  
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #48
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Total Cats: 4
Default

7k estimate in repairs, driver send frame rail bent. car is most likely a total
dooderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #49
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,896
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
Here we go again.

"Totaled" does not mean "not fixable." Totaled ONLY means that the cost to repair the car at normal labor rates and parts costs is greater than 70-70% (depending on insurance provider) of the ACV of the car.

The insurance company will surely declare this vehicle a total loss.. HOWEVER, it is fixable, so you'd be silly to NOT buy it back.
I know what totaled means. I am just not so sure it is the best strategy to have the insurance company total the car when you consider all costs in this particular case.

When I mean all costs, I mean the actual cost to repair, cost to buy back the car, loss of value from a salvage title, and other expenses and time that may arise from all this.

What I am not clear on is if a car is devalued significantly when it has a rebuilt title.
miata2fast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #50
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
I know what totaled means. I am just not so sure it is the best strategy to have the insurance company total the car when you consider all costs in this particular case.

When I mean all costs, I mean the actual cost to repair, cost to buy back the car, loss of value from a salvage title, and other expenses and time that may arise from all this.

What I am not clear on is if a car is devalued significantly when it has a rebuilt title.
Depends on the car. In this case: Yes.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

It is devalued a lot for an MSM, not so much on an NA since they're bottoming out in value. On the other hand you cant really stop the ins co from totaling it.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #52
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
It is devalued a lot for an MSM, not so much on an NA since they're bottoming out in value. On the other hand you cant really stop the ins co from totaling it.


You can. You just take a smaller payment.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #53
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Definitely totalled, as soon as the unibody is bent it's done unless it's an expensive car. Good luck on the repair or part out.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #54
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,093
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
You can. You just take a smaller payment.
That doesnt seem right. Normally the ins co has 4 options. Shop fix is, cut you a check to have your own shop fix it, total it, or deny the claim. You only get to choose between the first two. But I guess you could bribe the adjuster to quote the repair cost at just under 70% of the value so it doesnt get totaled and choose to have them cut you the check for the repair cost.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #55
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
That doesnt seem right. Normally the ins co has 4 options. Shop fix is, cut you a check to have your own shop fix it, total it, or deny the claim. You only get to choose between the first two. But I guess you could bribe the adjuster to quote the repair cost at just under 70% of the value so it doesnt get totaled and choose to have them cut you the check for the repair cost.
I didn't say it was right or necessarily 100% legal and myself, will always push for a total.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #56
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,896
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Depends on the car. In this case: Yes.
Well, if I really wanted the car as a street car that I would eventually sell, I would negotiate with the insurance company to have the car repaired at a reduced cost. Perhaps supplying some of the parts, (the radiator you really need comes to mind) doing some of the disassembly, and letting a professional finish the car.

Some insurance companies will allow this kind of negotiation. Some won't.
miata2fast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #57
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Total Cats: 2
Default

ok guys here is how the clowns run the circus !! i'm estimating that he is gonna get $8300+/- ACV for that MSM .. at that point you can run with the money and done deal , then the insurance will value the car around $1500 bucks but its not easy .. they have to tow the car $$$expense , send paperwork to transfer the name EJ.Progressive causality co. that's an example more $$$expense , list the car with an insurance action witch 10% of sale price + storage fee's while paper work is being processes$$expense and if the car doesn't sell more storage fee's .............................. that's why insurance companies are so willing to sell you the car back is cheaper for them, and a heck of a deal on your part and yes!!!! you can negotiate the "buy it back price"
yellowspecvnismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #58
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

OP, how many miles are on your car and what are they saying is the ACV?

I think they'll ACV it higher than that. I got $8200 AFTER buyback was taken out.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #59
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
oh wow !!!!!!!
yellowspecvnismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #60
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
OP, how many miles are on your car and what are they saying is the ACV?

I think they'll ACV it higher than that. I got $8200 AFTER buyback was taken out.

you are probably right!!! $8200 is too low,,,,, im so used to low balling everything
yellowspecvnismo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
The "other" spool question stefanst DIY Turbo Discussion 44 09-28-2015 08:16 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM
Got bad Crank Angle Sensor and Random Misfire codes, but runs fine. Greasyman General Miata Chat 2 09-28-2015 11:44 AM
Run boost gauge from ECU MAP? Itty MSPNP 6 09-22-2015 12:02 PM


Tags
ti curse

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.