Turbo Engine and DE track events - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default Turbo Engine and DE track events

Can anyone tell me how much hp they run safely on track (not drag) and what boost.

I have the '92 1.6L stock long block with greddy system modified using RX-7 injectors and megasquirt. Radiator has been replaced with a much bigger track version for heat.

Currently boosting at 11 psi and producing 195 HP on mustang dyno and 175 lbs torque.

Theres much more room to push upwards of around 17 psi but I am trying to figure out if it's safe to increase being that this car is for track only and I drive very hard.
keftes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

Ban?
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default

?
keftes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Ban?
Just because we haven't had a noob banned in a while and because a couple of my noob hazing posts hve been deleted recently.....

I will say +1
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default

nice.

Sorry guys for being new to your club.

I know nothing about this car and have recently acquired it as is. I figured I would turn to the forums to ask for more expertly advice but it seems I ran into a couple of real helpful individuals.

If there's anyone else that can simply answer without trying to be a smart ***, it would be greatly appreciated.
keftes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

Give the guy a break, maybe he has nudes of girlfriend...
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

They are (in less polite words) encouraging you to search. I wouldn't track a stock-motor car at 17psi more than once or twice. The car will go all day long at your current boost levels, though.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
They are (in less polite words) encouraging you to search. I wouldn't track a stock-motor car at 17psi more than once or twice. The car will go all day long at your current boost levels, though.
I have been sifting through this forum for hours and figured I would just ask. Haven't really turned up too much info to gauge the strength of these motors.

I contacted the shop that tuned it and his response was the same, that it will run all day long in this configuration.

Thanks
keftes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keftes View Post
I have been sifting through this forum for hours and figured I would just ask. Haven't really turned up too much info to gauge the strength of these motors.

I contacted the shop that tuned it and his response was the same, that it will run all day long in this configuration.

Thanks
I will try to say this in the least assholish way possible but no promises. There is no way you have searched this site for hours without finding information on the strength of our motors. It has been said on here dozens of times that 250whp is considered the most you should run on a street driven stock motor. also there is no way that you searched for hours without encountering dozens of posts demanding noobies to search and to make a proper intro thread before posting any questions.
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #10
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLAFIN View Post
I will try to say this in the least assholish way possible but no promises. There is no way you have searched this site for hours without finding information on the strength of our motors. It has been said on here dozens of times that 250whp is considered the most you should run on a street driven stock motor. also there is no way that you searched for hours without encountering dozens of posts demanding noobies to search and to make a proper intro thread before posting any questions.
ok, you got me.

I lied. I figured, let me just ask to see if I can **** someone off.

Seriously, does it bother you that much.

Yes, I came across what you stated. I was looking for more specific info based on the configuration I stated.

Now, since it seems you know a good deal, is 250 maximum for track use under heavy load. Do you recommend any other modification to be able to safely run at 250 on track? Yes, now I am picking your brain.
keftes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #11
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

maybe consider an oil cooler and lots of gauges. otherwise, keep it pretty conservative and give yourselfa margin of safety.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #12
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default Fortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
maybe consider an oil cooler and lots of gauges. otherwise, keep it pretty conservative and give yourselfa margin of safety.
Fortunately, there's 5 gauges that monitor everything but EGT. Nice setup.

I have considered the oil cooler.

Thanks.
keftes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, TX yall
Posts: 849
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keftes View Post
ok, you got me.

I lied. I figured, let me just ask to see if I can **** someone off.

Seriously, does it bother you that much.

Yes, I came across what you stated. I was looking for more specific info based on the configuration I stated.

Now, since it seems you know a good deal, is 250 maximum for track use under heavy load. Do you recommend any other modification to be able to safely run at 250 on track? Yes, now I am picking your brain.
Newbs with questions that have been MOSTLY answered before can get a bit annoying/fun to pick on. It's almost a weekly thing. Don't let it bug you, if you don't get banned shortly you're good to go.

That being said, +1 from y8's and if you know what you're doing I wouldn't push it more than 12-14 on the track.

Do you have a WB?

Chris
Miatamaniac92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #14
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
Do you have a WB?
What is a WB?

Thanks.
keftes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keftes View Post
What is a WB?

Thanks.
Wideband, as in wideband oxygen sensor, AEM UEGO, innovative LC-1, etc..
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #16
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLAFIN View Post
Wideband, as in wideband oxygen sensor, AEM UEGO, innovative LC-1, etc..
I don't know. I'll have to look into that.
keftes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

Search!!!

Don't push your luck.
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:05 AM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
chriscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Carrollton TX
Posts: 1,702
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keftes View Post
I don't know. I'll have to look into that.
You have 5 gauges, what are they?

C
chriscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscar View Post
You have 5 gauges, what are they?

C
Well we know one of them ISN'T a wideband...
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:11 AM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
chriscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Carrollton TX
Posts: 1,702
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLAFIN View Post
Well we know one of them ISN'T a wideband...
Your Ninja edit skills are weak.

C
chriscar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS/FT: 03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege leatherface24 Cars for sale/trade 15 10-16-2015 12:35 PM
Road Atlanta: November 21-22, 2015 Feffman Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 1 10-07-2015 09:06 AM
What happened to my Dynalite? midpack Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 18 09-22-2015 08:52 PM
In search of a Megasquirt tuner in FL, AL or GA area FrankB MEGAsquirt 2 09-08-2015 07:21 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.