Will Mocal Sandwich 20mm fit on 1.6? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 173
Total Cats: 0
Default Will Mocal Sandwich 20mm fit on 1.6?

Flying miata has a 1.6 version of the Oil Sandwich thermostat that includes a spacer and longer pipe thread for the oil filter.

Does the 1.6 really need it?
rippledabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,916
Default

The sandwich plate itself will fit without the spacer, however it's unlikely you'll be able to screw hoses onto the fittings. The surface of the filter mount on the block is recessed behind some obstructions, and the purpose of the spacer is to bring the plate far enough out that the hoses will clear the obstructions.

That said, IMO the Mocal plate is junk. The thermostat on it seems to either bypass too much oil when cold or open too soon, because on the street it took half of eternity for my oil to reach 180, and it never got much above that.

I replaced my spacer with an OEM '94+ cooler, blocked off the hose ports on the plate and kept it around as it's where my oil temp sensor is. I'll see if I've still got the spacer somewhere.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,364
Total Cats: 1,325
Default

Joe, the thermostat has to flow SOMETHING. Otherwise, when it opens, you'll get a sudden oil pressure drop. My 6x11" cooler with a 180 degree Mocal thermostat runs about 190 degrees around town on a hot 90 degree day, and about 175-180 on the highway.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 173
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
The sandwich plate itself will fit without the spacer, however it's unlikely you'll be able to screw hoses onto the fittings. The surface of the filter mount on the block is recessed behind some obstructions, and the purpose of the spacer is to bring the plate far enough out that the hoses will clear the obstructions.
Do you think the Hayden will fit without a spacer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...mZ220148441832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
That said, IMO the Mocal plate is junk. The thermostat on it seems to either bypass too much oil when cold or open too soon, because on the street it took half of eternity for my oil to reach 180, and it never got much above that.
This is the 3rd time I heard this comment about the Mocal plate. I am beginning to have 2nd thoughts about getting the Mocal. Do you think the 3/8" inlet/outlet of the hayden will result is a high oil pressure drop? compared to the Mocal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I replaced my spacer with an OEM '94+ cooler, blocked off the hose ports on the plate and kept it around as it's where my oil temp sensor is. I'll see if I've still got the spacer somewhere.
If I get the Mocal, will any of these ebay sandwich adaptors work as a spacer? I'll just mount some temp sensors to them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-F...spagenameZWDVW
rippledabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Joe, the thermostat has to flow SOMETHING.
Yes, it does. Problem is that mine, anyway, felt like it was flowing too much, too soon.

After I installed my 1.8 OEM oil cooler, I discovered an unforeseen benefit of it. First thing in the morning, it acts as an oil warmer! Oil comes up to temp faster than stock (1.6 design) in this configuration.

I've not have any overheating problems since installing it- even during the five hour mountain run we did a few weeks ago oil temp never went above 220. For those who are doing bona-fide track events and genuinely do have a problem, I believe a much better solution would be to place a small radiator ahead of the main radiator, dedicated to the oil cooler coolant. Put some "Ys" and a ball valve in there, and you can select between "normal" and "super-cool" on the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippledabs
Do you think the Hayden will fit without a spacer?
Tell you what. Pull your oil filter, stick your head in there, and you tell me.

Personally, I don't see how any plate will fit on the 1.6 without a spacer. There's just not much room to route the hoses.

That said, I just checked and I do still have a spacer sitting on the shelf. $25 gets it shipped within the 48 states. You'll still need to come up with a longer pipe, as mine's in use with the new cooler. The stock pipe off any 1.8 Miata engine will work.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,364
Total Cats: 1,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Yes, it does. Problem is that mine, anyway, felt like it was flowing too much, too soon.

After I installed my 1.8 OEM oil cooler, I discovered an unforeseen benefit of it. First thing in the morning, it acts as an oil warmer! Oil comes up to temp faster than stock (1.6 design) in this configuration.

I've not have any overheating problems since installing it- even during the five hour mountain run we did a few weeks ago oil temp never went above 220. For those who are doing bona-fide track events and genuinely do have a problem, I believe a much better solution would be to place a small radiator ahead of the main radiator, dedicated to the oil cooler coolant. Put some "Ys" and a ball valve in there, and you can select between "normal" and "super-cool" on the oil.
I saw oil temps of 230 at T-hill back in December with my enormous oil cooler. Obviously the OEM 1.8 cooler wasn't doing me much good (oil temps used to be 275+ )
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

pics of a stock 1.8 oil cooler? ()
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: santa cruz
Posts: 246
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I replaced my spacer with an OEM '94+ cooler, blocked off the hose ports on the plate and kept it around as it's where my oil temp sensor is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
After I installed my 1.8 OEM oil cooler, I discovered an unforeseen benefit of it. First thing in the morning, it acts as an oil warmer! Oil comes up to temp faster than stock (1.6 design) in this configuration.



If you blocked off the (coolant) hoses, how does the OE 94+ configuration warm your oil more rapidly?
chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.