won't go in gear - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default won't go in gear

Okay guys, I just swap out a motor on my 91 and it shifts fine when car is not running, but when it's running it's not going in gear. What did I do wrong?
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

sounds like you didn't do the clutch fork right. if you aren't disengaging the clutch it'd be hard to shove it in a gear.

I'm assuming you have pressure at the clutch pedal, right?
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
sounds like you didn't do the clutch fork right. if you aren't disengaging the clutch it'd be hard to shove it in a gear.

I'm assuming you have pressure at the clutch pedal, right?
Yes I have pressure at the clutch pedal. It's a ACT HD pressure plate with street disk.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,793
Total Cats: 247
Default

Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch pedal height so that when depressed, it fully disengages the clutch. To verify that the clutch is not being fully disengaged, press the pedal in and then apply pressure to the shifter to try to shift it into 5th. gear. This will put a load on the syncros if the transmission is turnning and the engine RPM will bog down a couple hundred RPM's, verifying the clutch isn't fully disengaging.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch pedal height so that when depressed, it fully disengages the clutch. To verify that the clutch is not being fully disengaged, press the pedal in and then apply pressure to the shifter to try to shift it into 5th. gear. This will put a load on the syncros if the transmission is turnning and the engine RPM will bog down a couple hundred RPM's, verifying the clutch isn't fully disengaging.
I thought it was the clutch pedal heigh, because I adjusted before I start the car, but I put it back to what it was and still same.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,793
Total Cats: 247
Default

Well, still try that little test and that will tell you if the clutch is fully disengaging or not. Did you try bleeding the clutch lines? Air in the system would cause the clutch to not fully disengage.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

But I didn't even open up the clutch line.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:11 AM   #8
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

is the clutch aligned right?
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

Man, you have more issues with your car...
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantaylor View Post
is the clutch aligned right?
I use the clutch alignment tool. Unless that **** is fucked up,I think it's line up right.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,793
Total Cats: 247
Default

The alignment tool is used so you can stick the transmission the first time. That has nothing to do with the problem your describing. If you have pedal pressure, you either have air in the lines, a faulty slave or master cylinder, or the pedal is not properly adjusted. If I were you, I would bleed the lines just to be sure that's not the problem.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
The alignment tool is used so you can stick the transmission the first time. That has nothing to do with the problem your describing. If you have pedal pressure, you either have air in the lines, a faulty slave or master cylinder, or the pedal is not properly adjusted. If I were you, I would bleed the lines just to be sure that's not the problem.
I will try to readjust the clutch pedal height and bleed the line.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

Can't you just get someone to push the clutch pedal while you watch the slave cylinder arm? That will help you begin to narrow things down and is an easy first step.
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Can't you just get someone to push the clutch pedal while you watch the slave cylinder arm? That will help you begin to narrow things down and is an easy first step.
I got someone to push the clutch pedal and I was looking at the slave cylinder and I can see it moving. Also I bleed the line from the clutch slave cylinder and that didn't help. Also try to put in 5th gear when running and it didn't do anything,but the rpm did drop maybe a hundred or less.

Last edited by supra441979; 10-07-2007 at 06:05 PM.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

The clutch master cylinder and slave has been replaced about 6 months ago with oem factory unit. I don't see any fluid leaking and clutch MC is full of fluid.

Last edited by supra441979; 10-07-2007 at 09:41 PM.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,575
Total Cats: 11
Default

It could be that the slave is not moveing the fork enough to disengauge the clutch. When I did my clutch I acually had to use a longer shaft for the connection between the slave and fork.
cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 AM   #17
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

So what you suggest? Take the slave apart and put it back together or rebuild? It's not leaking though.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra441979 View Post
So what you suggest? Take the slave apart and put it back together or rebuild? It's not leaking though.

last engine swap we did i saw a slave go back together slightly crooked, the push rod part. it wouldn't come out after that pushing the clutch pedal. pulled the slave off, removed the boot, pulled the pushrod to straighten it out. put it back together, it was all good. so check you slave for binding
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 912
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
last engine swap we did i saw a slave go back together slightly crooked, the push rod part. it wouldn't come out after that pushing the clutch pedal. pulled the slave off, removed the boot, pulled the pushrod to straighten it out. put it back together, it was all good. so check you slave for binding
Did you have the same problem as this? It goes in gears when the car is not running, but it doesn't go in gear when it's running. Seems like a slave or master clutch cylinder, but those were replaced and I'm not sure. I will take the slave a part and see.
supra441979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra441979 View Post
So what you suggest? Take the slave apart and put it back together or rebuild? It's not leaking though.
dude, under the dash ... get down there and look at the pedal. You are going to see a rod that physically pushes into the master cylinder through the firewall (sorta like a ***** i guess). Well you just gotta adjust it's nuts so that it pushes in further.
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.