xede or link for a 1.6? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Have you talked to FM? My understanding is that they do not have any more 1.6 Links and there will be no more.

The keypad will get you 90% of the way there on fuel. You really need to datalog to get the other 10%, and ignition will be easier (so I'm told) with DLL. Having said that right now my car is running pretty good and I haven't even begun course tuning it yet. I'm betting that I will be able to get the car completely livable with just the keypad, but I'll be leaving power on the table.

You are correct that to connect a laptop you need software and the serial link. I find this fact somewhat annoying as well, and pushes the price of the link into ther territory of the Hydra.

Buy something already!
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #22
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
Have you talked to FM? My understanding is that they do not have any more 1.6 Links and there will be no more.

The keypad will get you 90% of the way there on fuel. You really need to datalog to get the other 10%, and ignition will be easier (so I'm told) with DLL. Having said that right now my car is running pretty good and I haven't even begun course tuning it yet. I'm betting that I will be able to get the car completely livable with just the keypad, but I'll be leaving power on the table.

You are correct that to connect a laptop you need software and the serial link. I find this fact somewhat annoying as well, and pushes the price of the link into ther territory of the Hydra.

Buy something already!
I am looking at a used link, but was going to call fm in 30 minutes.

I read through the xede manual last night, and it looks like a tuning nightmare to me. I don't like the idea of the ghetto piggy back where adjacent cells may be +50% in one and -50% in the next for either fuel or spark. It really looks like a clusterfuck to tune where none of the figures make sense unless you compare the to the stock ecm maps, which are probably impossible to find.

If I'm going to buy anything from Bell, it has to be this week to avoid sales tax since I'm out of town.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

also, I can't tell from the manual, but it looks like xede runs the stock ecm maps for closed loop, so I'll still have to run an o2 clamp, and who knows what that will **** up.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #24
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

FWIW, you may recall that I purchased a Link from FM a couple months ago that ended up being broken. I still haven't received the refund.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #25
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
FWIW, you may recall that I purchased a Link from FM a couple months ago that ended up being broken. I still haven't received the refund.
fantastic...it looks like there is no reasonable solution other than buying haltech again.

****!
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Hydra
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
FWIW, you may recall that I purchased a Link from FM a couple months ago that ended up being broken. I still haven't received the refund.
How is that even possible? Are they at least giving you an excuse? I'd give them one warning that you are going to take this to the fraud dept of you CC company, and if you still get no joy I'd procede.

That's bullshit and I'm surprised that FM would do that.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #28
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Well, I just talked to a guy at diy autotune, so I'm going to wait a bit longer and see what pans out from these guys.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,242
Total Cats: 290
Default

I would count a used LINK as good possibility. I paid $600 for mine w/o a keypad. Then bought the air temp sensor ($100), the FM software chip ($125), the knock sensor motor mount boss ($20), a saab knock sensor ($15) and used plink (free) on a palm M500 ($30) to datalog and tune. The pc software Datalog Lab is free for 30 days trial ($100) and is really a necessity for a complete tuning solution. IMO $1k for a proven programmable ecu setup is a good deal.

That said, I too found an issue with my Link. The chip that runs boost control appears to be bad. Fortunately this is a cheap fix.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.