Hydra Nemesis Discontinued !!!!??? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Hydra Nemesis Discontinued !!!!???

Old 03-21-2018, 05:55 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 65
Total Cats: 2
Unhappy Hydra Nemesis Discontinued !!!!???

In my INBOX was a flyer from Flyin Miata which indicated that they are abandoning the Hydra ECU. As a person that dug deep into my pocket to buy a premium service and customized system, this is troubling. I realize the flyer said they will continue to support the Hydra's that were sold through them but I'm rather concerned about the "what if's" that now come into my mind. What if my Hydra quits working? What if it works erratically and needs diagnosed? What if it quits working in 3 years?

I make no claims to be anything more than a user in this field so bare with my ignorance regarding standalone ECU's. Is there's a wiring harness and a version of MegaSquirt that will slip right in and everything will be just fine??

So chime in with your thoughts/plans, those with Hydra's; what do you think? Should I go into a hoarder mode and try and get another (very expensive) Hydra unit to set on the shelf as a back-up or is that not the best option here?
blackandblown is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 05:57 PM
  #2  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,695
Total Cats: 1,284
Default

Originally Posted by blackandblown View Post
In my INBOX was a flyer from Flyin Miata which indicated that they are abandoning the Hydra ECU. As a person that dug deep into my pocket to buy a premium service and customized system, this is troubling. I realize the flyer said they will continue to support the Hydra's that were sold through them but I'm rather concerned about the "what if's" that now come into my mind. What if my Hydra quits working? What if it works erratically and needs diagnosed? What if it quits working in 3 years?

I make no claims to be anything more than a user in this field so bare with my ignorance regarding standalone ECU's. Is there's a wiring harness and a version of MegaSquirt that will slip right in and everything will be just fine??

So chime in with your thoughts/plans, those with Hydra's; what do you think? Should I go into a hoarder mode and try and get another (very expensive) Hydra unit to set on the shelf as a back-up or is that not the best option here?
Yes. Has been for many years. And has a huge user support group. And is the only way to get meaningful tuning help from anyone on this forum, since that's all anyone here uses.

There's even Megasquirts that don't require the patch harness that Hydra does.

I would not buy another backup Hydra. Enjoy what you have until you don't anymore, then get a new ecu.
concealer404 is online now  
Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM
  #3  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

1) I'm legitimately surprised that there's a person under the sun that didn't see this coming for at least a couple years now.
2) The latest Hydra is mediocre compared to the modern megasquirt. And when say mediocre, I mean it is inferior in almost all aspects. Previous hydra versions aren't even mentioned here because they're bottom barrel trash nowadays.
3) There are many versions of pnp megasquirts. Many of those would work perfect for you, plug right in, be cheaper, and easier to use, and.........

The stupidest thing you can possibly do is buy another hydra. That's like spending triple the money on a NA Miata because you live under a rock and don't know about NB, NC, ND.
18psi is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 06:12 PM
  #4  
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,999
Total Cats: 768
Default

Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
That's like spending triple the money on a NA Miata because you live under a rock and don't know about NB, NC, ND.
NA are prettier. And pop-ups beat all.
rleete is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 06:15 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 79
Total Cats: 4
Default

I never understood why FM continued to hamstring their full-fat turbo kits with the Hydra as opposed to the pretty much Miata standard MS3. I feel like they missed the mark with people looking for a one stop shop solution but wanted the MS.
cpierr03 is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 PM
  #6  
VladiTuned
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,052
Total Cats: 3,104
Default

Originally Posted by cpierr03 View Post
I never understood why FM continued to hamstring their full-fat turbo kits with the Hydra as opposed to the pretty much Miata standard MS3. I feel like they missed the mark with people looking for a one stop shop solution but wanted the MS.
I have the actual answer.

Here it is:
Flyin' Miata is the exclusive distributor for the Miata version of the Hydra Nemesis in North America.
They are stubborn little money grubbers. They want exclusivity.
This is the only reason they switched to that KNOCKOFF TRASH of an ecu EM221/FM221 instead of the much better in every single way Megasquirt.
18psi is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:08 PM
  #7  
Tweaking Enginerd
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 776
Total Cats: 86
Default

Originally Posted by rleete View Post
NA are prettier. And pop-ups beat all.
and OBD1...
Ted75zcar is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 668
Total Cats: 61
Default

Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
This is the only reason they switched to that KNOCKOFF TRASH of an ecu EM221/FM221 instead of the much better in every single way Megasquirt.
Quick correction on this, it's the ME221. But everything else stands.

Took me all of 20 minutes examining the interface on the third day at FM to see this and report it to Bill.
Gotta say, the guys at FM are awesome. But, they don't control the direction of the company and Bill does (or used to) have final say in things.

Looks like they've got another GM there now, someone local, versus the greasy consultant they hired while I was there.
That also took about 10 minutes to see he was going to milk them for all the money he could. And did.

I will say that from FM stocking things now like carrying more CARB-EO'd products, Moti products and the Skunk2 stuff, I applaud the new GM for helping them come into the "present day".
SchmoozerJoe is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:52 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 426
Total Cats: 38
Default

Originally Posted by SchmoozerJoe View Post
I will say that from FM stocking things now like carrying more CARB-EO'd products, Moti products and the Skunk2 stuff, I applaud the new GM for helping them come into the "present day".
Taking a week to ship an order made up of off the shelf stuff is not present day or even close. That is 90's ****.

My order finally shipped today.
LukeG is offline  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:58 PM
  #10  
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 1,939
Total Cats: 37
Default

They’d probably still sell it if it was price competitive
Stealth97 is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 706
Total Cats: 323
Default

AFAIK, the Hydra is still current product with Nemisys EMS. If your unit develops a fault, you could still have it repaired at the mothership (when I upgraded to the latest specs several years back, it was shipped to the manufacturer and not FM). I'm sure Jeremy will act as a go-between, to generate an RM number, for the indefinite future.
DeerHunter is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 AM
  #12  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 17,760
Total Cats: 2,058
Default

I'd rather run a MS1 than a Hydra if you gave me both for free.
sixshooter is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 12:26 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 257
Total Cats: 29
Default

Spoke with FM this morning, Hydra apparently have been bought out by someone from the subaru world . They will continue to support and repair Hydras under the Nemesis brand name . That said , I ordered an extra wide band this morning thinking that should carry me longer than I plan on keeping the Miata. I expect FM will continue with tuning support if required by existing customers. If my Hydra was to crap tomorrow , ya that might be a dilemma. Fredb
fredb is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 257
Total Cats: 29
Default

fredb is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 AM
  #15  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,923
Total Cats: 1,758
Default

Originally Posted by blackandblown View Post
Is there's a wiring harness and a version of MegaSquirt that will slip right in and everything will be just fine??
As mentioned, Megasquirts have been PnP for roughly 10 years. Megasquirt MS3 has a superior featureset to Hydra in my opinion, and that opinion is widely shared on this forum.

MSLabs Megasquirt MS3 Basic
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is online now  
Old 03-22-2018, 06:19 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 65
Total Cats: 2
Default

Thanks everyone, Good stuff in here and I'm happy that I can "unclench" after reading it. I was concerned I had painted myself into a corner. While I may have picked the wrong paintbrush, at least there's still hope to get mine repaired or get a roller that will likely work better.
blackandblown is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 06:38 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 124
Total Cats: -8
Default

Rest in pepperonis

megasquirt 4 lyfe
WigglingWaffles is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM
  #18  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,695
Total Cats: 1,284
Default

Originally Posted by fredb View Post
Spoke with FM this morning, Hydra apparently have been bought out by someone from the subaru world . They will continue to support and repair Hydras under the Nemesis brand name . That said , I ordered an extra wide band this morning thinking that should carry me longer than I plan on keeping the Miata. I expect FM will continue with tuning support if required by existing customers. If my Hydra was to crap tomorrow , ya that might be a dilemma. Fredb
The widebands will always be available. They're oem Honda units with different connectors put on them to make them "proprietary" in order to better upcharge you.

Next time buy the Honda unit and the other side of the connector, save some money, and will be able to get replacements anywhere you'd like.
concealer404 is online now  
Old 03-22-2018, 10:39 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 257
Total Cats: 29
Default

You wouldn’t happen to have a Honda part number would you ? Not that it’s likely I’ll need a 2nd one but it might help someone else. Speaking of connectors , one thing I’d recommend is picking up a wack of the Hydra pins . This only applies if you don’t need the ability to go back to the stock ECU . I’ve had a number of issues with converter harness. Cutting off the factory plugs and going straight to the Hydra solved all off them . Just time patience and careful wire marking to get it right. Fredb

Last edited by fredb; 03-22-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Damn auto correct.....
fredb is offline  
Old 03-22-2018, 10:45 AM
  #20  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,695
Total Cats: 1,284
Default

Not off the top of my head, no, sorry. Kris @ KO Racing can set you up, though. I ditched my Hydra years ago after nobody was able to tune the car to run remotely acceptably, and never looked back.
concealer404 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydra Nemesis Discontinued !!!!???


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.