The 2015 Maxi - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
??? The CX-5 didn't come out til 2013 sir. So it has nothing to do with whatever they were selling in '09. The new CX-5 is seriously quite awesome, and it is one of the vehicles I would buy over the Countryman.

I would also go for a Forester XT over a Countryman. Also: BMW X1. Also: Jetta Sportwagen TDI (although not AWD). Also: Ford Escape SEL 2.0L EcoBoost (don't laugh... 240hp, 270tq, leather seats, awd). Also: VW Tiguan. Also: WRX. Yes I'm serious.
AH.. ok, so it was the CX7 and the CX9..... I apologize for that. I was Cornfused for a minute there
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
??? The CX-5 didn't come out til 2013 sir. So it has nothing to do with whatever they were selling in '09. The new CX-5 is seriously quite awesome, and it is one of the vehicles I would buy over the Countryman.

I would also go for a Forester XT over a Countryman. Also: BMW X1. Also: Jetta Sportwagen TDI (although not AWD). Also: Ford Escape SEL 2.0L EcoBoost (don't laugh... 240hp, 270tq, leather seats, awd). Also: VW Tiguan. Also: WRX. Yes I'm serious.
Just looked it up... DEFINITELY quite awesome... Sorry about the cornfusion. I knew there were 2 CX vehicles back then, just forgot about the CX9, and didnt know there was a CX5. lol

I really like the CX5, especially with a roofrack...

I cant speak for those others you mentioned though, because ive never messed with any of them. They all look pretty decent though.

Im still a diehard MINI fan though... lol
I drove the countryman, and it is incredibly sturdy, and very fun. And at the time, it came with a snowboard rack, and a complete Burton snowboard.... So TAKE THAT CX5... lmao jk
I just wont buy a countryman, because i like the regular Mini Cooper body. I bought it because its a Mini. But IF i wanted a bigger Mini, thats what i might go for. idk..
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

No worries man. Mazda really stepped up their game with the CX-5.

I currently sell the Forester, the WRX and the Mazda. I have previously sold the Escapes, the SportWagen, and the Tiguan. I am familiar with all of them, and they're all really nice vehicles.

I have never driven a Countryman, but have sat in them and read about them and am just not impressed. Maybe they really are that much more fun to drive, but I can't imagine paying that much for a vehicle that is so small but still so heavy. If it's gonna be heavy, shouldn't it at least be big? And a 1.6l? Nope.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
No worries man. Mazda really stepped up their game with the CX-5.

I currently sell the Forester, the WRX and the Mazda. I have previously sold the Escapes, the SportWagen, and the Tiguan. I am familiar with all of them, and they're all really nice vehicles.

I have never driven a Countryman, but have sat in them and read about them and am just not impressed. Maybe they really are that much more fun to drive, but I can't imagine paying that much for a vehicle that is so small but still so heavy. If it's gonna be heavy, shouldn't it at least be big? And a 1.6l? Nope.
I think it IS the fun factor that sells them... Owning a Mini myself, and having driven one... I can HONESTLY say that the handling is surprisingly VERY similar. And the AWD makes up for the weight (compared to a regular mini) Making for a bigger heavier vehicle that handles just as well.
Now, im sure on the track the Cooper will have the Countryman hands down, but just driving it, it is very surprising. lol
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

Yeah, it probably is pretty good to drive. The magazines didn't seem to care for it much but that could have just been their Mini traditionalism.

It really doesn't matter which one I would buy, either, since I'm not going to buy any of them. though I'd go for a CX-5 diesel or a sportwagen TDI and will likely do it within the next 5 years.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

double post fail

Last edited by turbofan; 11-19-2013 at 01:35 PM.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Murfreesboro,TN
Posts: 1,275
Total Cats: 52
Default

Its the growth hormones in the milk...

Attached Thumbnails
The 2015 Maxi-original.jpg  
Midtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtenn View Post
Its the growth hormones in the milk...

Pretty cool picture.. Seriously, the R56 looks so big to me in real life. I park next to them in parkinglots just to prove that my Mini is mini-er than their Mini.... And the NEW mini??? that thing is HUGE!
In comparison, they are ALL huge compared to the O.G. Mini. lmao
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

Wow. I actually didn't realize the sorta-new-but-not-the-newest-new-new-Mini was bigger than the first new Mini. I really like those.

I hate what they've done with the taillights on the newest ones. They make me think of this:



It looks like they did the same thing to the old mini taillights, with the same result, as what they did to that cat's eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2015 Maxi-cat-wit-big-eyes.jpg  
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

I didnt even notice the taillights til you said that.... lol I was looking at the overall profile... but DAMN.... those taillights are horrible...
And The car in general is so damn big now... i bet the Toyota Yaris and Scion XA are smaller than the Mini finally, because of the new one.
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #31
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

I read somewhere that it's still a foot-ish smaller than a Yaris. It's still a tiny car by American standards. But I do think it's awful. So awful. P.S. The xA is no longer sold in the states, replaced by the xD.

XD
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
I read somewhere that it's still a foot-ish smaller than a Yaris. It's still a tiny car by American standards. But I do think it's awful. So awful. P.S. The xA is no longer sold in the states, replaced by the xD.

XD
Havent seen the yaris lately. Has it changed since its Debut??? I remember the first one wasnt too far off from the mini.... That was the little 2 door hatch that i compared my mini to side by side
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #33
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
??? The CX-5 didn't come out til 2013 sir. So it has nothing to do with whatever they were selling in '09. The new CX-5 is seriously quite awesome, and it is one of the vehicles I would buy over the Countryman.

I would also go for a Forester XT over a Countryman. Also: BMW X1. Also: Jetta Sportwagen TDI (although not AWD). Also: Ford Escape SEL 2.0L EcoBoost (don't laugh... 240hp, 270tq, leather seats, awd). Also: VW Tiguan. Also: WRX. Yes I'm serious.
Forester: not enough rear seat space for rear facing infant seats (friends just sold one), also very long like a limo. MPG estimates are similar.

BMW X1 awd starts over 32k with no options. mpg comparable. oh and it didn't exist here in 2012.

Jetta SW: why is this forum in love with those things? TDI: no way. I barely pass any gas stations on my commute and most don't sell diesel. otherwise it's big and ugly.

Ford Escape titanium 1.6 4wd: similar price, similar specs, probably not as fun to drive. also much bigger.

tiguan: much bigger, at least as much money, worse mp geez.

WRX: see forester and subtract interior room.



I don't think you understand why I bought the car I did. I found the closest thing to a miata with rear doors and room for a huge rear-facing child seat. The only reason it costs as much as it did is because I got all sorts of crazy options. yes, all those other cars you list are very large and in charge and that's why I didn't want them. I can parallel park this in tight spots on the street in the city that everyone else has to pass up. If I need cargo space, I can toss a roof pod on it.

I could have picked up a base model with nothing on it and compared it to your oranges and apples and probably been out the door at 20k even.

You should really go drive an S All4 with the sport suspension. You'd be shocked. Even if you hate the car because of some personal childhood trauma, it drives REALLY well.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Yes... It IS quite impressive... And that's saying a lot being a regular Cooper s owner. Lol
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #35
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
Forester: not enough rear seat space for rear facing infant seats (friends just sold one), also very long like a limo. MPG estimates are similar.

BMW X1 awd starts over 32k with no options. mpg comparable. oh and it didn't exist here in 2012.

Jetta SW: why is this forum in love with those things? TDI: no way. I barely pass any gas stations on my commute and most don't sell diesel. otherwise it's big and ugly.

Ford Escape titanium 1.6 4wd: similar price, similar specs, probably not as fun to drive. also much bigger.

tiguan: much bigger, at least as much money, worse mp geez.

WRX: see forester and subtract interior room.



I don't think you understand why I bought the car I did. I found the closest thing to a miata with rear doors and room for a huge rear-facing child seat. The only reason it costs as much as it did is because I got all sorts of crazy options. yes, all those other cars you list are very large and in charge and that's why I didn't want them. I can parallel park this in tight spots on the street in the city that everyone else has to pass up. If I need cargo space, I can toss a roof pod on it.

I could have picked up a base model with nothing on it and compared it to your oranges and apples and probably been out the door at 20k even.

You should really go drive an S All4 with the sport suspension. You'd be shocked. Even if you hate the car because of some personal childhood trauma, it drives REALLY well.
All valid points, but goddamn it got smashed into a coma with the ugly stick. Twice.

Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
All valid points, but goddamn it got smashed into a coma with the ugly stick. Twice.

ah yes, "it's ugly"

as is your mama.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Maybe, but she doesn't have a 25k? pricetag
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #38
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
Forester: not enough rear seat space for rear facing infant seats (friends just sold one), also very long like a limo. MPG estimates are similar. Not enough rear seat space?? Have you SEEN the new Forester? It's cavernous back there. I get that it's bigger, but that's kinda my point. It's a bigger, more spacious car with more power that gets comparable MPG and costs a comparable amount. I think it all boils down to your last point...

BMW X1 awd starts over 32k with no options. mpg comparable. oh and it didn't exist here in 2012. This is a good point... that it didn't exist there then. I would go with the RWD X1 which starts at 30k but the fact that it didn't exist when you bought yours makes it a totally moot point.

Jetta SW: why is this forum in love with those things? TDI: no way. I barely pass any gas stations on my commute and most don't sell diesel. otherwise it's big and ugly. haha they're awesome vehicles! Good handling, excellent ride, super high quality interior with high-end-looking stuff, incredible MPG, TORQUE, and tons of space. I'm sure it's not as fun as the Mini and diesel can be a nuisance but when you're going 500+ miles (600-700 on highway) on a tank, that's pretty awesome.

Ford Escape titanium 1.6 4wd: similar price, similar specs, probably not as fun to drive. also much bigger. Well, for one, you can't get a titanium with the 1.6, it's 2.0 only. The 1.6 in the Escape is stupid IMO because it's only a little more for the 2.0 in the lower trim level (SEL) and the real world fuel economy is not much different. That's why I mentioned the SEL with the 2.0. You're looking at around 31k very well equipped, tons of power, and a really nice car.

tiguan: much bigger, at least as much money, worse mp geez. Yeah, here's where your last point comes into play again. I see the 'bigger for same money' as a positive, not a negative. That VW TSI motor is soooooo sweet...

WRX: see forester and subtract interior room. I still think this is probably the best alternative option, but the MPGs aren't as good at all... but it has like 80 more HP and I believe it weighs less!



I don't think you understand why I bought the car I did. I found the closest thing to a miata with rear doors and room for a huge rear-facing child seat. The only reason it costs as much as it did is because I got all sorts of crazy options. yes, all those other cars you list are very large and in charge and that's why I didn't want them. I can parallel park this in tight spots on the street in the city that everyone else has to pass up. If I need cargo space, I can toss a roof pod on it. That's really the kicker here IMO. If you needed something small, 4-door, AWD, turbo, and have the money to spend, and you don't think it's fugly, then the Mini fits the bill and not much else really does (except as I mentioned above, the WRX)

I could have picked up a base model with nothing on it and compared it to your oranges and apples and probably been out the door at 20k even.

You should really go drive an S All4 with the sport suspension. You'd be shocked. Even if you hate the car because of some personal childhood trauma, it drives REALLY well.
Haha I do need to drive one. I need to get out and do some test drives. Need to drive the Fiesta ST and the Countryman. I certainly don't dislike it for any sort of biased reason -- I'm all for the development of a brand. But I just see it as a very overpriced little car. The price is comparable to bigger cars that offer similar MPG and performance and features, but have much more space and practicality. I don't have to regularly park in an urban environment, however, so the small size I see as a drawback instead of a perk. If it works for you, rock it.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Great snowboarding trip vehicle...
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 406
Default

True, the AWD is great. It starts out driving all four wheels and as you increase road speed, uses only the fronts.

Ultimately I'm not a big car kind of guy for a daily driver. Sure there are tons of other cars I could have loved and bough and spent more or less on, but this is where we ended up. Remember I also have a wife who gets her say and could have easily ended up with a Prius V. That unchecks pretty much all the boxes execpt MPG and I was not going to be happy.

I wonder if I could convince her that we need a Tesla S when we sell her 15 year old civic.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
1997 Miata - NASA PTE/TTE Current Logbook w/Title chris101 Cars for sale/trade 2 10-27-2015 07:27 AM
2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback - Pearl White - 83k miles - $16999 Braineack Cars for sale/trade 3 09-04-2015 03:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.