I can has health insurance? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Boost Pope
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,326
Total Cats: 1,926
Default I can has health insurance?

I think we've really crossed a line here.

Reality:




Fantasy:




Is it even worth drawing a distinction between the two anymore?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,927
Total Cats: 5
Default

I wonder if they'll throw in some tubes of Mighty Putty?

Frank
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,145
Total Cats: 0
Default

They cure you with the power of oxygen... or oranges i forget
Loki047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 407
Total Cats: -1
Default

Damn 160$/month for health insurance?

I wonder if we didn't have public health program here how much would I save in tax and levy?
Dark Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wanderer View Post
I wonder if we didn't have public health program here how much would I save in tax and levy?
You wouldn't save anything- you'd be paying that money for health insurance.
deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

The Sham-wow of health insurance. Sweet.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norrahammar, Sweden
Posts: 614
Total Cats: 6
Default

I have to say, it feels quite good to live in a country with free health care. We only pay symbolic amounts when we go to the doctor, to make sure people don’t show up just for kicks. Example: I hurt my knee (loosing a Judo-match) when I was 21. I had 3 surgeries and 1 year of twice a month physical rehabilitation. Cost me a grant total of about $200. All health and dental care are completely free until you turn 20. It is nice to know that if I need to be lifted with a helicopter from the ski-slopes and patched up at the nearest hospital, it still costs me close to nothing.
Torkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 407
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliverator View Post
You wouldn't save anything- you'd be paying that money for health insurance.
I pay 30% of my salary in tax and levy and I'm in the lowest tax bracket. I don't think I would pay that for insurance?

How much is an average insurance for a non-smoker non-fat 22 years guy in USA?
Dark Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 407
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkel View Post
I have to say, it feels quite good to live in a country with free health care. We only pay symbolic amounts when we go to the doctor, to make sure people don’t show up just for kicks. Example: I hurt my knee (loosing a Judo-match) when I was 21. I had 3 surgeries and 1 year of twice a month physical rehabilitation. Cost me a grant total of about $200. All health and dental care are completely free until you turn 20. It is nice to know that if I need to be lifted with a helicopter from the ski-slopes and patched up at the nearest hospital, it still costs me close to nothing.
That's the problem here, we don't have the symoblic amount and everyone goess to the urgency for anything and it cost $$$$ to us.

Do you have medicament insurance in Germany? That too cost a lot!
Dark Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,145
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wanderer View Post
I pay 30% of my salary in tax and levy and I'm in the lowest tax bracket. I don't think I would pay that for insurance?

How much is an average insurance for a non-smoker non-fat 22 years guy in USA?
Depends on your income.
Loki047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norrahammar, Sweden
Posts: 614
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wanderer View Post
That's the problem here, we don't have the symoblic amount and everyone goess to the urgency for anything and it cost $$$$ to us.

Do you have medicament insurance in Germany? That too cost a lot!
Crap! I forgot to update my location. I moved back home to Sweden a few weeks ago. In Germany, they do use the insurance system and it is pretty expensive, but we do not here in Sweden.
Torkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wanderer View Post
I pay 30% of my salary in tax and levy and I'm in the lowest tax bracket. I don't think I would pay that for insurance?

How much is an average insurance for a non-smoker non-fat 22 years guy in USA?
It's not like the full 30% you pay goes towards Health Care. After all there is a bureaucracy to support.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 407
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
It's not like the full 30% you pay goes towards Health Care. After all there is a bureaucracy to support.
Yeah you're right, but I know that the health care here has one of the biggest part of the government budget if not the biggest. After verification, yep: 44% for Health, 25% for Education and the rest for others ministry. That's for the province only.
Dark Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkel View Post
I have to say, it feels quite good to live in a country with free health care.
It's not really free when the money for it comes from taxpayers.

Last edited by kotomile; 12-02-2008 at 05:58 PM.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Atlanta93LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,198
Total Cats: 1
Default

I've been quoted anywhere from $400-$1200 per month for shitty coverage here, and I'm a healthy young man. I pay nearly 30% of my earnings in taxes as well. Bah!
Atlanta93LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norrahammar, Sweden
Posts: 614
Total Cats: 6
Default

[QUOTE=kotomile;336600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkel View Post
I have to say, it feels quite good to live in a country with free health care. QUOTE]

It's not really free when the money for it comes from taxpayers.
Well, nothing in this world is for free. Of course the health care system is funded by my tax-money. More mine then others even, since I make more then the average Swede and therefore pay a higher % in taxes. But I consider the service I am buying worth the money.
Torkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 407
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta93LE View Post
I've been quoted anywhere from $400-$1200 per month for shitty coverage here, and I'm a healthy young man. I pay nearly 30% of my earnings in taxes as well. Bah!
Damn! In that case I should not whine!
Dark Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,900
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta93LE View Post
I've been quoted anywhere from $400-$1200 per month for shitty coverage here, and I'm a healthy young man. I pay nearly 30% of my earnings in taxes as well. Bah!
30% = income tax
6% = Other payroll taxes (social security and medicare)
X% = State income tax (TX = 0%)
5-10% of expenditure = sales tax (local/state depending on location)

I did the math on it last year and I paid something closer to 57% of my income on taxes.
Arkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, TX yall
Posts: 849
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wanderer View Post
How much is an average insurance for a non-smoker non-fat 22 years guy in USA?
Free.................if you raise your right hand.

AND don't mind getting a Motrin for anything up to loss of a limb.

Gov/Military Healthcare FTL

Chris
Miatamaniac92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
Free.................if you raise your right hand.

AND don't mind getting a Motrin for anything up to loss of a limb.

Gov/Military Healthcare FTL

Chris
lol

Ever gotten the bottle of 800mg Ibuprofen as treatment for a semi-serious injury? I'm half surprised they numbed me before pulling my wisdom teeth out. If you genuinely become ill at many posts you make an appointment to come in and make another appointment a couple days later to actually be seen about your ailment. You make an appointment to make an appointment! And people still demand socialized medicine...
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please school me on life insurance... samnavy Insert BS here 14 10-11-2015 12:21 AM
SOLD-Rear knuckle/spindle upper spherical bearing adapter hi_im_sean Miata parts for sale/trade 1 09-16-2015 01:45 PM
Where to start? JamesNZ DIY Turbo Discussion 12 11-29-2007 07:01 PM
What do you guys pay for car insurance? Vashthestampede Insert BS here 55 07-24-2007 06:16 PM
Everyone's Insurance savior Insert BS here 36 12-21-2006 11:04 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.