Military buffs needed - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default Military buffs needed

First off, Happy New Year to everyone!!

So, I have this military scrapbook and wanted to share it with you guys to see what you thought about it. Trying to start the new year off right by getting some back work done.

This binder came out of the hoarder house that I've been working at for awhile now, I just haven't had the time to catch up and actually get to listing some of the stuff. This is just one of the scrapbooks I came across. The guy has a wall filled with stuff like this.

I've been doing some research on the 82nd airborne and its funny how things start to match up. From what I'm reading, it says the 82nd was deployed in places such as Panama, and I already came across the bag of silver Panama Balboas, so I know he was in Panama at one point. I also read about the 82nd deploying paratroopers into Vietnam and South Korea, and this guy was also a paratrooper.

Just seeing if any of you military dudes might be able to tell me anything more by looking at the binder. It includes original photos, original documents and some newspaper clippings. I love seeing old stuff like this and learning about it, but its my job to move it.

Name:  mb01.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  mb02.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  mb03.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  mb04.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  mb05.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  mb06.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  mb07.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  mb08.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  133.0 KB

Name:  mb09.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  mb10.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  104.8 KB
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 2
Default

Those are some interesting old pictures you found. I will tell you what I know about them.

The first picture from "Reception Station" was taken at the first unit that this individual reported to in the Army before entering basic training. Some of the other paperwork (The Medical Examination form) makes it look like this person was drafted into the service, which started back up with the Korean War in 1950.

The second picture is of the drawer layout in your personal area during basic training. Everything from the rolled socks to the shaving razor had its particular place it had to be. If anything was found out of place, the Drill Sergeant would dump it on the floor.

Most of the following pictures are from Airborne School at Ft. Benning and this persons subsequent specialty school. The items laid out in front of the tracked vehicle are the Basic Initial Issue items that go with the vehicle. These were laid out for inspection and to make sure everything was there that was supposed to be.
tankrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashthestampede View Post
I love seeing old stuff like this and learning about it, but its my job to move it.
Probably has the most value to someone in the guys family or someone that served with him. Many military units also collect historical items and photos that show the units history, but usually it's donated so I can't imagine they would purchase any of it from you. When I die, everything in my war room better go to someone in my family.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Yea honestly that is kind of shitty that his military stuff isn't with family. If there is any cool 82nd Airborne stuff I might be interested in it for my brother.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankrust View Post
Those are some interesting old pictures you found. I will tell you what I know about them.

The first picture from "Reception Station" was taken at the first unit that this individual reported to in the Army before entering basic training. Some of the other paperwork (The Medical Examination form) makes it look like this person was drafted into the service, which started back up with the Korean War in 1950.

The second picture is of the drawer layout in your personal area during basic training. Everything from the rolled socks to the shaving razor had its particular place it had to be. If anything was found out of place, the Drill Sergeant would dump it on the floor.

Most of the following pictures are from Airborne School at Ft. Benning and this persons subsequent specialty school. The items laid out in front of the tracked vehicle are the Basic Initial Issue items that go with the vehicle. These were laid out for inspection and to make sure everything was there that was supposed to be.
Thanks for the info man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Probably has the most value to someone in the guys family or someone that served with him. Many military units also collect historical items and photos that show the units history, but usually it's donated so I can't imagine they would purchase any of it from you. When I die, everything in my war room better go to someone in my family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Yea honestly that is kind of shitty that his military stuff isn't with family. If there is any cool 82nd Airborne stuff I might be interested in it for my brother.
I completely agree that it should be staying in the family, but the guy that technically owns the house now could give 2 ***** about that. The house is actually on commercial property so the owner wants to clear the house ASAP in order to either knock down the house and sell the land, or sell it as is. Either way, he wants the stuff out before he sells it.

The only family I know of that this guy left behind is his gf, who is 90 something years old, and the mother of the guy I'm doing the work for. It inst his "father", so he doesn't want the stuff for himself, nor did he mention anything about other family members.

Lets put it this way. If I don't dig through it and sell it, it'll all be thrown away. I know I have limited time, so I'm pulling more stuff out of the house and storing it than I am selling it. Like any job though I need to make something for my time.

Military stuff is bought and sold all day long, all year long. So I don't necessarily feel bad for selling it because I did try to pass on it, but its not my decision to make. If anything I feel good about keeping it all out of the dumpster.

You'd be surprised what some of this stuff sells for. That's another reason why I'm taking a chance on it.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to direct that towards you. I'm glad it's getting sold rather than thrown out. I'd rather have my old military stuff get sold off if the only other choice is trashing it.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
In need of base map for stock 1997 brandonbkd MEGAsquirt 0 09-29-2015 12:52 AM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.