slight vent about speed limits - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,575
Total Cats: 11
Default slight vent about speed limits

Ok so the other night I got lost, and ended up on a 2 lane each way road (fairly big). So not seing any signs, I assume the speed limit is 45, and I was doing 50. Now mind you im pretty much the only person on the road, doing 50mph is very reasonable. So I just start entering a slightly populated area, and bam there is a cop behind me, pulls me over, and tells me I was doing 25 over the limit! So in the end he lets me off with a failure to obey traffic device, which is no points just a fine, and he actually seemed like a nice guy for a cop (prolly woulda got a warning if is wasent the end of the freaking month).

So the convo I want to bring up is what do you guys think about those roads that have really unneccarily low speed limits? The road I was on was 4 lanes total, it was a slightly populated area, and the speed limit is 25mph! what the ****!

And for the people that say "oh man your doing 25 over the limit" I was almost the only person on the road! There defentially was no reason that going 45-50 was unsafe, I wasent doing any weaving, etc, just cruiseing.

I know the law is the law, but what do you guys think?
cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,378
Total Cats: 0
Default

I suspect that roads speed limits were so low was because it was a slightly populated area. Its better than those people having to pull out into 45mph traffic. Point here is, you just missed out on the city commisioners meeting a few years ago were they decided to lower the speed limit in that area for the sake of homeowners/business owners in the area. For the most part, speed limits are usually justified.
naarleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Atlanta93LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,198
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naarleven View Post
For the most part, speed limits are usually justified.
I disagree: there is normally a reason, but that doesn't mean they're justified.
Atlanta93LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Indeed, not always justified. There are several good examples of tiny-*** towns in FL where their income comes from tickets (looking at you, Waldo and Lawtey) so the limits are artificially low, and adjacent counties actually contain billboards warning unwary tourists of the upcoming trap.

Did you know that when redlight cameras were installed in some areas the length of the yellow light was decreased? Wonder what the justification for that one was...
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

i was doing 155 in a 50 a few weeks ago, lol
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
miataspeed1point6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,235
Total Cats: 0
Default

During the week of the Woodward dream cruise Woodward is PACKED! Now, the actual event only goes on for the weekend. The cruisers are out 2 weeks in advance. I live about 3 blocks away and my shop is actually on Woodward.

During that week I get pulled over at least 3 times for "speeding". I'm actually doing the 45mph limit, but due to the cruisers they "lower" it to 35. No signs, just decide to do it. Thankfully they just "warn" me and let me go. It's BS what people can get away with.
miataspeed1point6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,575
Total Cats: 11
Default

Im glad some people can relate, its really a shame...
cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Great State of Texas
Posts: 115
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardriverx View Post
So in the end he lets me off with a failure to obey traffic device, which is no points just a fine, and he actually seemed like a nice guy for a cop (prolly woulda got a warning if is wasent the end of the freaking month).
Yup because most cops are ******** and every department has quotas due at the end of the month. Always.

Glad he didn't stroke you for speeding.
Jesse H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

A lot of speed limits and road signs are implemented because people kill themselves or other people on that road or at that spot. There's this farm at a T intersection around my area and there's a fence at the T. Nyways one day the fence had been smashed through because i guess someone didn't see the stop sign or the fence. Next week the state put up yellow diamond signs in front of the rebuilt fence...
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Newb
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 41
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardriverx View Post
Ok so the other night I got lost, and ended up on a 2 lane each way road (fairly big). So not seing any signs, I assume the speed limit is 45, and I was doing 50. Now mind you im pretty much the only person on the road, doing 50mph is very reasonable. So I just start entering a slightly populated area, and bam there is a cop behind me, pulls me over, and tells me I was doing 25 over the limit! So in the end he lets me off with a failure to obey traffic device, which is no points just a fine, and he actually seemed like a nice guy for a cop (prolly woulda got a warning if is wasent the end of the freaking month).

So the convo I want to bring up is what do you guys think about those roads that have really unneccarily low speed limits? The road I was on was 4 lanes total, it was a slightly populated area, and the speed limit is 25mph! what the ****!

And for the people that say "oh man your doing 25 over the limit" I was almost the only person on the road! There defentially was no reason that going 45-50 was unsafe, I wasent doing any weaving, etc, just cruiseing.

I know the law is the law, but what do you guys think?
Don't get me started on this one...

The law is the law, that's the problem. Lawmakers think they can do whatever they want, and we let them get away with it. 55 mph nationwide speed limit, remember that? I have a good series of rants about nanny government at my blog, starting with the first post:
http://keepusfree.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_archive.html

As far as speed limits, they're set arbitrarily low in almost every state with the intent that if they're arbitrarily low, there will always be people to pull over and collect revenue from. This creates two distinct groups of drivers on the road: 1) Drivers who obey the letter of the law. 2) Drivers who drive a safe, reasonable speed, regardless of the speed limit. Since 55 mph (or even 70 mph like here in Michigan) is almost always exceedingly low based on the road and conditions, most folks drive 5 or 10 over at a minimum. Others in sports cars on empty roads can drive 20 or 30 over the limit with no problem whatsoever, and pose no threat to anyone on the road (including themselves). The problem arises when you have two distinct groups going two different speeds, that's when accidents happen.

The National Motorists Association has some good articles on this:
http://www.motorists.org/mi/85th.html
http://www.motorists.org/mi/stats.html
Check out their whole site, it's got great info on this.
Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,841
Total Cats: 0
Default

That safety crap is for the Nieve. It is all about revenue. If they were worried about safety, they would not stop people for tickets during rush hour traffic. Causing a 7 mile backup, atleast 3 wrecks from people rubbernecking and causing people to lock up brakes. Which like a wip roles through traffic till someone can't stop. And BAM they have neck injuries for life.
Rush hour tickes cause alot of wrecks and traffic jams.

I lived in North East Arkansas. The land is flat and nothing but farm land. You can literally see for miles. The road speed limit was 55. I was late and doing 80. The guy stopped me and started giving me a lecture about if one of those tractors turned around on that road, You would just run into them and DIE.

I WANTED TO SAY If I can't see a 15 FT TALL, 45 ft long, 8 WHEELED tractor 3 miles ahead of me, with no trees, buildings or life in sight, heading for the street. I would have to be a Stupid As YOU!

This guy was Jethrow off Beverly Hill Billy's. He was a stupid as a rock. I could see if there were hills, trees or even one thing to block the view for 15 miles. But we are talking Nothing. Not even traffic.

Last edited by Toddcod; 07-04-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Toddcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,575
Total Cats: 11
Default

So then why dont we do something about it?
cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
Yup because most cops are ******** and every department has quotas due at the end of the month. Always.

Glad he didn't stroke you for speeding.
Not all people are ********, at all times. However, if you're working as a police officer you are required to write tickets all the time.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Great State of Texas
Posts: 115
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Not all people are ********, at all times. However, if you're working as a police officer you are required to write tickets all the time.
Actually I was being sarcastic. I only wrote 2 tickets last month.
Jesse H is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 PM.