Small business bs thread - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
This.

Vash what kind of business? It may be much more financially advantageous and logic for you to go sole proprietor.
Well see, that's how its been for me the past couple years. I figured I already had my fun and I better get legit quick.

Originally I was planning on going DBA, but both tax advisors AND legal advisors said it wouldn't be best for what I do.

I guess you can say I'm half service and half online sales. I buy/sell on a commission. Anything from 1 unique item to a house full of ----. So I have customers via eBay, but I also have customers in person. One customer pays me, while I pay the other. Meanwhile, taking my cut before I pay anyone.

Its a good business so far. I cant get cheated out of money (well, almost) and I have more ---- lined up to sell than I know what to do with. What I really need is an employee or two, but in order to do that I need to have a business in place.

If all goes well I hope to eventually have an actual retail location, but I'm talking years down the road. Right now I'm more of a drop off or pick up service. You cant necessarily "shop" my store unless online. Mainly due to the fact that 90% of my items aren't in my possession until the sale takes place.

Everything is still in the works and I'm still not 100% decided on LLC, but at this point in time it looks to be the best way for me to go.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Oh, your ebay business. I would just do sole proprietership. You can write off all your expenses on a schedule C and it will be fine. You also do not have employees and your liabilities are minimal.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelwee View Post
We went the INC route. I'm not sure why but LLC has always turned me off when dealing with a company. INC sounds more professional and that is how I wanted to be known. I think I paid around $350 for it but that was in 1991. My lawyer ended up being disbarred due to tax evasion (IIRC). In the end I stopped submitting any tax stuff or whatnot and the state dissolved my corporation around 2003.

This is stupid. Many very large and successful corporations are LLCs or LLPs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSoot View Post
Make sure that LLC is the right choice for you before jumping on the LLC bandwagon. In most cases corporation will be MUCH more beneficial. I would strongly suggest talking to your accountant about what entity you should choose based on what type of business you are planning to do and what type of transactions you are dealing with.

Another suggestion is not to use LegalZoom. There is absolutely no reason you should be paying them to fill out papers and send them to the county. The process of starting a business is actually very straight forward (as long as you read forms carefully) and if you want to save as much as you can - do it yourself.

Do not, under any circumstances, sign up for anything extra that LegalZoom will try selling you on. You will just waste your money on random ---- that you will never use/require.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be glad to help with whatever I can

Yes you don't need legalzoom.

Starting a LLC. So easy a caveman could do it.


You definitely don't need a corporation for your ebay business. As I said, just sole proprieter it and sched C. Sched C is a valid and useful tax shelter. You can still get biznass insurance as a Sched C too. Get an umbrella also.

And some frikken health insurance you redneck
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashthestampede View Post
Well see, that's how its been for me the past couple years. I figured I already had my fun and I better get legit quick.

Originally I was planning on going DBA, but both tax advisors AND legal advisors said it wouldn't be best for what I do.

I guess you can say I'm half service and half online sales. I buy/sell on a commission. Anything from 1 unique item to a house full of ----. So I have customers via eBay, but I also have customers in person. One customer pays me, while I pay the other. Meanwhile, taking my cut before I pay anyone.

Its a good business so far. I cant get cheated out of money (well, almost) and I have more ---- lined up to sell than I know what to do with. What I really need is an employee or two, but in order to do that I need to have a business in place.

If all goes well I hope to eventually have an actual retail location, but I'm talking years down the road. Right now I'm more of a drop off or pick up service. You cant necessarily "shop" my store unless online. Mainly due to the fact that 90% of my items aren't in my possession until the sale takes place.

Everything is still in the works and I'm still not 100% decided on LLC, but at this point in time it looks to be the best way for me to go.
What were the reasons your tax / legal advisors gave you for LLC'ing or incorporating????
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Oh, your ebay business. I would just do sole proprietership. You can write off all your expenses on a schedule C and it will be fine. You also do not have employees and your liabilities are minimal.

Yes you don't need legalzoom.

Starting a LLC. So easy a caveman could do it.

You definitely don't need a corporation for your ebay business. As I said, just sole proprieter it and sched C. Sched C is a valid and useful tax shelter. You can still get biznass insurance as a Sched C too. Get an umbrella also.

And some frikken health insurance you redneck
Hmm. I'll have to discuss it further with the legalzoom folks to have a better understanding about it.

So far, I've been most recommended to go LLC.

I'll be the first to admit I still have a lot to learn, but for now I'm just getting the ball rolling in the right direction. I'm not in a huge hurry to have it all finalized, but the sooner the better.

Legalzoom isn't necessary to setup the business, but if its going to save me the running around bs then its worth it for me. This way I can keep working on the business itself.

Yeah I need that health insurance man. I'm a pretty volatile person at times, so I never know when I'll ------- break my hands again. lol

I'm hoping setting up the business will force me to finally get some.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
What were the reasons your tax / legal advisors gave you for LLC'ing or incorporating????
They both rattled off dozens of reasons in conversation, but these are the couple main reasons that stood out to me personally.

LLC keeps my assets separate from the business. Say I sell an old family heirloom that some 2nd cousin comes looking for months after its been sold.

If profitable, later down the road I can switch over to a s-corp. Cant if dba.

DBA is taxed the highest and also has the highest audit rate.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Not aure where they got thos audit rate figures from.

That lawsuit scenario is bogus becus as an officer of the orporation your *** and assets are still on the line.

Thats why i said get biznasty insurance. And alo an umbrella policy.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Also do a revenue projection.

It is unlikely that you will sell the business ever.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Not aure where they got thos audit rate figures from.

That lawsuit scenario is bogus becus as an officer of the orporation your *** and assets are still on the line.

Thats why i said get biznasty insurance. And alo an umbrella policy.
I take it this is how you are setup? Sole prop with business insurance for liability?

Tell me more.

I'm always looking to learn everything I can, so speakith from experience and learn me something.

Trust me. I'd RATHER go DBA over LLC, just because it seems like it'll be easier and cheaper to setup. Everything helps, especially right now. I just want to make sure I'm benefiting from it all in the end.

For every 10 people you talk to you get 10 different opinions. lol
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Many people will tell you to skip Sole Prop because of the personal liability, particularly if there is any risk involved with the business at all. However, if you can off-load that risk to the insurance company, it may be a good fit. The challenge there becomes making sure you have the right kind and enough insurance and that the provider of the guarantee is around when you need to use it.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
IcantDo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 1,769
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
Many people will tell you to skip Sole Prop because of the personal liability, particularly if there is any risk involved with the business at all. However, if you can off-load that risk to the insurance company, it may be a good fit. The challenge there becomes making sure you have the right kind and enough insurance and that the provider of the guarantee is around when you need to use it.

I did my franchise as a Sole prop because of just that, as a franchise group we have the power to negotiate a good insurance rate.
IcantDo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Llc is also a big pain in the ***.

Just get a seperate business card for all your "business expenses" and half your accountig is done.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.