Is there a way to register a vehicle without title, and not been the owner? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to   Members

Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Trailer County
Posts: 530
Total Cats: -9
Question Is there a way to register a vehicle without title, and not been the owner?

This friend of mine who is in the military is selling me this car that used to belong to a roommate. He does not have a title, the owner transferred and stated was gonna come back for the car. It seems the original owner got out of the military and is nowhere to be found.

The car is legit, it is not stolen or nothing, just gathering dust in the driveway of his townhouse. My friend wants to get rid of it and is selling it to me for cheap.

Is there a way to get a title for the car? Like stated I am not, neither my friend, the orignal owner of the car. From what I have heard is to use the car for parts, and sell it/ donate to a jy that takes vehicles without title.

It is not in bad condition, some TLC and would be a perfect DD beater car.

Any suggestions?
mazpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SFL
Posts: 376
Total Cats: 3

If you do a title search on the original owner and contact the dmv their should be a proccess to notify the titled owner that you believe its abandoned. If they don't reply within a specified time you can retitle it.
MD323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
mgeoffriau's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447

Apply for a title bond. Basically an insurance policy against the risk of someone showing up with a valid title and claiming they own the car. Should cost $200 or less.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Auburn Maine
Posts: 185
Total Cats: 0

What year is it and where do you live? Anything over 15 years old out here (Maine) you don't need a title (I think it's 10 years in NH). If you found a friend in another state to register it, all you would need in your state is the old registration and a bill of sale.
vw_nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.