Hello from Central Jersey! - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 1
Thumbs up Hello from Central Jersey!

Like promised, i am going to make an intro thread ...

My name is Dj, i am 21 years old, and i just picked up a $1500 Na Miata.

Here she is on day one ...

Name:  DSC_0001.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  151.5 KB

Name:  Post2.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  288.3 KB




Here is how she looks now ...

Name:  Post14.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  199.7 KB

Name:  Post9-1.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  182.3 KB

Plans and why i am here ...
I am looking to piece together a T25 set up, MSPnP, and make around 200 HP until i can build/turbo a 1.8 with a 6 speed.

This is my other car to toy with so i can have some down time for builds ... Don't kill me , but this is my "daily" .




Comments,complaints,thoughts,advice and anyone in NJ let me know!
JerseyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

go here for new jersey miata clan
Mobbius MiataMob
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 0
Default

I think he's already on the mob. But why would you want a 6 speed? The 6 speed guys just complain about them and want 5 speeds. Having an extra speed does not make you cooler.
ArtieParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget racer View Post
go here for new jersey miata clan
Mobbius MiataMob
I signed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieParty View Post
I think he's already on the mob. But why would you want a 6 speed? The 6 speed guys just complain about them and want 5 speeds. Having an extra speed does not make you cooler.
I was under the impression that the 5 speeds were weak? People saying they keep sheering third gear when boosted?

I would love to a 3.6 or 3.9 torsen rear with the five speed if it will handle. Unfortunately the car has 200k on it, so im not sure how that trans is going to hold up.
JerseyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guam (U.S Terr.)
Posts: 786
Total Cats: -2
Default

welcome man! Your set up sounds good. miata looks good. So does that srt4.
mike_671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyKid View Post
I signed up!



I was under the impression that the 5 speeds were weak? People saying they keep sheering third gear when boosted?

I would love to a 3.6 or 3.9 torsen rear with the five speed if it will handle. Unfortunately the car has 200k on it, so im not sure how that trans is going to hold up.
If it hasn't been abused and neglected, your 5 speed should hold up fine if you don't push over 250HP and don't abuse it yourself.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Welcome! Central NJ here...

I am afraid to post this cause I'll probably jinx myself, but I haven't broken a 1.6-era 5 speed with ~290rwhp yet and there's supposedly around 150k on the trans I have in it now. I am not abusive though, and my car has low torque and slow spool so that all helps.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_671 View Post
welcome man! Your set up sounds good. miata looks good. So does that srt4.
Thank you, i appreciate that. I have been reading alot on these forums, i have had a turbo civic, a wrx, and now the neon. So i have my experience with turbos/mods. My car never sees a shop, i do all the work so the miata should be a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
If it hasn't been abused and neglected, your 5 speed should hold up fine if you don't push over 250HP and don't abuse it yourself.
With 200k on it, it shifts better than my Neon does. I am going to change the fluid when i get a free moment. And im looking to make 200 ish WHP, nothing to crazy. I just want to maybe break a 12, and put a frown of a few peoples faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Welcome! Central NJ here...

I am afraid to post this cause I'll probably jinx myself, but I haven't broken a 1.6-era 5 speed with ~290rwhp yet and there's supposedly around 150k on the trans I have in it now. I am not abusive though, and my car has low torque and slow spool so that all helps.
Wow! That is pretty impressive. These cars seem to have no problem holding 200% more power than stock.
I am also debating a begi manifold/downpipe or the absurdflow set up. Choices ...
JerseyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Nice looking Miata

Everytime I see a NA it brings a tear to my eye, can't wait to get back home to mine
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyKid View Post
I am also debating a begi manifold/downpipe or the absurdflow set up. Choices ...
There's no choice there!

Shore Motorsports is the local BEGI dealer, they can hook you up with an entire BEGI kit (most of the local Mob turbo people run BEGI parts purchased thru Shore Motorsports) or a partial BEGI kit with substituted Absurdflow parts (mani and/or downpipe).

Oh yeah, I have always liked SRT4's, yours looks great too.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
There's no choice there!
Oh yeah, I have always liked SRT4's, yours looks great too.
look at tim brown-nosing a potential client. you must have had business classes in school.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget racer View Post
look at tim brown-nosing a potential client. you must have had business classes in school.
I'm sad it didn't work on you
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Nice looking Miata

Everytime I see a NA it brings a tear to my eye, can't wait to get back home to mine
Some people tell me i am nuts, but i have just as fun in the miata as i do in the Neon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
There's no choice there!

Shore Motorsports is the local BEGI dealer, they can hook you up with an entire BEGI kit (most of the local Mob turbo people run BEGI parts purchased thru Shore Motorsports) or a partial BEGI kit with substituted Absurdflow parts (mani and/or downpipe).

Oh yeah, I have always liked SRT4's, yours looks great too.
Excellent. Im not looking to buy a whole Begi kit, ( no offense,they are a little pricey for me ) I already dropped my couple of grand turbo kit, and im just looking to DIY this one. Can you PM me the prices on a Begi manifold/downpipe and the options?
JerseyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I'm sad it didn't work on you
it would have worked.......except for the fact that i'm a cheap SOB. hey, atleast i bought the begi-s and lc-1 from Shore Motorsports.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget racer View Post
it would have worked.......except for the fact that i'm a cheap SOB. hey, atleast i bought the begi-s and lc-1 from Shore Motorsports.
You did? I forgot. I have a bad memory. Cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyKid View Post
Can you PM me the prices on a Begi manifold/downpipe and the options?
Can you email me at tim at absurdflow dot com?
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #16
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyKid View Post
Some people tell me i am nuts, but i have just as fun in the miata as i do in the Neon.
Yes, you are nuts, you should be having WAY more fun in your Miata.. wtf are you going to do with fwd that is fun? Understeer/torque steer into a light pole?
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Yes, you are nuts, you should be having WAY more fun in your Miata.. wtf are you going to do with fwd that is fun? Understeer/torque steer into a light pole?
Haha, its fun cause it has some power. Im sure i will enjoy the miata more when it makes more than 90 HP.
JerseyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
WTB: m45 JRSC for 00 nb. Drewzilla90 WTB 0 08-30-2015 01:46 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 PM.