Hello from The Netherlands! - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 29
Total Cats: 5
Default Hello from The Netherlands!

Oh well here we are, another newbie . I'm Gerben Werkhoven, 19 years of age and I come from The Netherlands, Europe.

Yes that is across the sea, but that doesn't mean I can't have a '91 Mazda Miata from the US. Mine was imported to The Netherlands in 1996.

N/A 1.6L
No PS, No AC and No electric windows nor mirrors.
Currently 117K Miles on the ODO.

Mods
15x6 NB wheels in black with Bridgestone Potenza RE002 rubber.
Freshly welded right/rear quarter panel and wheelwell.
QSP 350MM steering wheel (3'' deep dish).
Garage Vary style front lip.

Plans are to turbo this car, goal is about up to 250 RWTQ on a stock motor.

Regards


Last edited by Gerbocharged; 10-07-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Changed HP goal to TQ.
Gerbocharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,828
Total Cats: 555
Default

Welcome. You may be pushing the stock rods a bit at that level. Might want to throw rods at it or dial it back a little.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 73
Total Cats: 7
Default

Hello fellow Dutchie!
From what area are you? I live near Utrecht.

As for your goals: I think 250 hp on a stock 1.6 is stretching it.
Personally I would go with either of these two options:
1. Cheap and cheerful, stock 1.6 engine, TD04L-13T (from an Impreza) and be happy with ~220 hp
2. Bigger turbo, 1.8 engine swap with at least aftermarket rods and run north of 220 hp.

It may not seems logical to swap a 1.8 engine, but it would actually be a small fraction of the cost of a decent turbo build.
The 1.8 has the same redline, but makes more power with the same boost and spools bigger turbos faster.
So with a 1.8 you will end up with a much more meatier power band.
DaWaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,230
Total Cats: 1,475
Default

Welcome to the forum.

The 1.6 differential is weak and fails at stock power levels. Upgrade to a 1.8 and it will last forever.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 29
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_sean View Post
Welcome. You may be pushing the stock rods a bit at that level. Might want to throw rods at it or dial it back a little.
Hello, yeah, as far as i know, 250RWTQ is around the maximum for a stock 1.6. I will most likely keep it around 220-230RWTQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWaN View Post
Hello fellow Dutchie!
From what area are you? I live near Utrecht.

As for your goals: I think 250 hp on a stock 1.6 is stretching it.
Personally I would go with either of these two options:
1. Cheap and cheerful, stock 1.6 engine, TD04L-13T (from an Impreza) and be happy with ~220 hp
2. Bigger turbo, 1.8 engine swap with at least aftermarket rods and run north of 220 hp.

It may not seems logical to swap a 1.8 engine, but it would actually be a small fraction of the cost of a decent turbo build.
The 1.8 has the same redline, but makes more power with the same boost and spools bigger turbos faster.
So with a 1.8 you will end up with a much more meatier power band.
Hello! I live near Leeuwarden.

Yes, as I said above I will keep it around 230 RWTQ. I have thought multiple times of doing a 1.8 swap, but that will not happen until this current motor blows
I'm not really a fan of the Subaru turbo's, don't ask me why because I do not have a valid reason. It just doesn't feel right for me. I do really appreciate your advice though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Welcome to the forum.

The 1.6 differential is weak and fails at stock power levels. Upgrade to a 1.8 and it will last forever.
Hello, yeah, mine is already trying to escape with the stock output. Will get a Torsen before I get boosted.

Regards
Gerbocharged is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nb2 stock nardi steering wheel Brett Dyer Miata parts for sale/trade 0 09-02-2016 01:25 AM
Oem steering wheel and gauge cover hood subi_life WTB 3 08-26-2016 12:40 AM
NRG Steering wheel specials boostedfactory Miata parts for sale/trade 2 08-23-2016 04:37 PM
94 1.8 FM Turbo FULL CAR Part Out - NJ! JerseyKid Miata parts for sale/trade 36 08-22-2016 10:21 PM
$790 - 1992 Mazda Miata hardtop Red fits 1990-2005 fuzionx23 Miata parts for sale/trade 4 08-05-2016 03:06 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.