Hi from Portugal! - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default Hi from Portugal!

Hi there!

My name is Pedro and I'm from Portugal.
I own a 94 MX-5 (NA8) with 79.000Kms full-stock. It's just a great car but I'm wondering if it really diserves a bit more power...

Never seen or tried a turbocharged one but I think this weekend I'll try one recently done with 12PSI. Seems interesting!

My goal would be arround 220/230hp and arround 290Nm with stock internals.
Is that possible? Would it be reliable? It's a weekend's car but I'm still worried about reliability.

As you can imagine, I have plenty of questions but I'll be soft for now.

Just want to know what would you guys recommend: A good kit (witch one?) or buying all the pieces separately?
Imagine a 5.000€ budjet.

Here are some pictures:























Some videos too:

YouTube - Maddatsun's MX-5 drift part4

YouTube - Maddatsun's MX-5 drift part3
MadAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,841
Total Cats: 0
Default

220-250hp the cars are reliable. You will need a clutch. And fuel management for that.

And 250 is way more than a tad bit hp. If you want it to run like a gt mustang you need like 160hp.

With 250hp, you should out run 90-96 corvettes. The car will be a beast spinning tires everywhere, with the ocassional sideways in third.
I don't know how much hp I have yet, but I nail 120mph like it is nothing. If I had a extra gear, I it would hit 150mph easy.

I can't wait to spank a Lotus Elise. Everytime I see one, I'm not in the miata. So It is game on now.

Begi and Flying miata have good kits. Or you can make your own....

And for $5000 euro's, That is like $7500 in US $$$. You can do it all......

Top of the line kit with fuel management, WBO2, clutch & flywheel, and injectors. OH-YEA! Mabe even a craftman 263pc tool set. And after shipping, mabe beer money and hot dogs for the crew to help put it on the car.

$5000 turbo kit with management and IC,
AEM wbo2, $250
clutch $350 + shipping
Injectors $300 ( or get used $150)
Old lap top $200
=$6100 + shipping

Last edited by Toddcod; 01-08-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Toddcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

Nice car, VERY CLEAN! For that money, you can have pretty much whatever you want up to about 250whp.

The weak link in your drivetrain is the differential. Be sure to research 1.8 differential swap if you get over the 200whp mark. It's a 7" ring&pinion... don't know if those ever made it to Europe though. The 1.6 6" ring&pinion will do fine up to 200whp if you don't drag race or drift it.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddcod View Post
220-250hp the cars are reliable. You will need a clutch. And fuel management for that.

And 250 is way more than a tad bit hp. If you want it to run like a gt mustang you need like 160hp.

With 250hp, you should out run 90-96 corvettes. The car will be a beast spinning tires everywhere, with the ocassional sideways in third.
I don't know how much hp I have yet, but I nail 120mph like it is nothing. If I had a extra gear, I it would hit 150mph easy.

I can't wait to spank a Lotus Elise. Everytime I see one, I'm not in the miata. So It is game on now.

Begi and Flying miata have good kits. Or you can make your own....

And for $5000 euro's, That is like $7500 in US $$$. You can do it all......

Top of the line kit with fuel management, WBO2, clutch & flywheel, and injectors. OH-YEA! Mabe even a craftman 263pc tool set. And after shipping, mabe beer money and hot dogs for the crew to help put it on the car.

$5000 turbo kit with management and IC,
AEM wbo2, $250
clutch $350 + shipping
Injectors $300 ( or get used $150)
Old lap top $200
=$6100 + shipping
There are no Mustangs or Vettes over here mate. I'm pretty sure you'll suck the Elises's *** through your intake in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
Nice car, VERY CLEAN! For that money, you can have pretty much whatever you want up to about 250whp.

The weak link in your drivetrain is the differential. Be sure to research 1.8 differential swap if you get over the 200whp mark. It's a 7" ring&pinion... don't know if those ever made it to Europe though. The 1.6 6" ring&pinion will do fine up to 200whp if you don't drag race or drift it.
samnavy, mine is a 1.8 with the stock Torsen diff. Isn't that good enough?
MadAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 296
Total Cats: 4
Default

Hey Pedro. Your car is unbelievably clean. You obviously have way too much time on your hands ..... Either that or you own shares in Meguires or Autoglym. Looking good though!

With regards to the transmission, I'd guestimate I'm running around that power figure (220ish whp) and your 1.8 setup should be fine. Just go easy on launch control and flat shift if you go down that route.

Once again, nice car and welcome. I'm a newb myself so I'll keep an eye out for you

//Edit - I forgot to ask - have you had a respray??
GrahamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9
Total Cats: 0
Default

Pedro, dope Miata! It almost looks like it belongs in a glass case.
But what fun would that be.

And for turbo kits Begi and Flyin' Miata are top of the line (that I have seen)
They just have everything you need.. Hands down

or if your like me -broke- build your own
either way good luck
Flatblk_miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post
Once again, nice car and welcome. I'm a newb myself so I'll keep an eye out for you...
Thanks a lot, mate! Since you have reached my goal, I'll get some helpfrom you for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post
//Edit - I forgot to ask - have you had a respray??

Yes GrahamC, it was resprayed but in those pictures it was comming from the hands of a great detailer. Big friend of mine too. Fabulous work!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatblk_miata View Post
Pedro, dope Miata! It almost looks like it belongs in a glass case.
But what fun would that be.

And for turbo kits Begi and Flyin' Miata are top of the line (that I have seen)
They just have everything you need.. Hands down

or if your like me -broke- build your own
either way good luck
Thanks Flatblk!

Begi or Flyin' Miata were my first choice but I really need some true feedback.

What are the most important differences between them?
MadAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
What are the most important differences between them?
Personally, I really like Begi turbo set-ups. I just think they offer more durability and they have more Flavors to choose from.
Flatblk_miata is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi everyone! New guy from Portugal medinars Meet and Greet 5 05-11-2015 05:31 AM
hello from Portugal pedrov Meet and Greet 1 01-11-2015 10:43 AM
wmute - 10AE in Portugal wmute Meet and Greet 2 08-29-2014 01:07 PM
10AE MX-5 from Portugal Hashiriya Meet and Greet 9 08-13-2014 09:34 AM
Getting excited for Sunday, 10/4!!!! WRC , FTW! Cspence Insert BS here 6 09-29-2009 04:12 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.