Intro - sans sarcasm - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Default Intro - sans sarcasm

I'm oilstain, and I'm interested in building a fun little car. I already made myself into a bit of a pain in the *** on the DIY board asking questions. The questions were intelligent, I just had to be persistent to finally get answers to what I was asking.

So, I'm thinking about picking up an old 1.6 because that will leave me more room for doing a tune-up/once-over and getting to the fun stuff. I'm considering using the fleabay cast manifold from ilovetacotaco

My yum yum sauce is great. Thanksforasking.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Thumbs up

Well I got myself a new old car.

From Craigslist, it's a black 95 with 88k miles.

It hadn't been run for two years, so I've got a little work to do. It's filthy as hell, and needs a battery, and new set of brakes. I'm also going to
Change oil/filter
Change manual trans fluid
Change dif fluid
Flush coolant
Bleed brakes after changing rotors and pads
Bleed clutch
Bleed P/S fluid
Change timing belt
Change water pump
Change plugs and wires
Change Air filter
Change fuel filter
Change valve cover gasket (it's leaking a little)
Change accessory belts

Anyone see anything I've missed that I should do right off?

I'll post pics later, I don't feel like resizing them right now.

Last edited by oilstain; 08-10-2008 at 12:25 PM.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

oistain, consider yourself officially welcome to the forum.

We need pics of the car!
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

How much did you pay for it?
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,198
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

welcome again I guess?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 1,577
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplafin View Post
how Much Did You Pay For It?
1300 he beat me and paul to it lol
disturbedfan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedfan121 View Post
1300 he beat me and paul to it lol
Did one of you guys offer the dude your children in exchange for it? The guy kept talking about how weird some of the people that responded were.

By the way, I told him in my email that I had cash and was available immediately. That is the number one way to get something that is high demand from CL.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Default

Dirty! The pics make it look much cleaner than it is. This thing had cobwebs between the spokes, pine needles everywhere. It's pretty bad.






A hole on each side of the top. I'll need to go stalk m.net to figure out what to do with that.



Such low mileage, it still has a whole dipstick.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 1,577
Total Cats: -2
Default

lol that wasn't me lol. you should change your valve cover gasket and pcv valve too. put a breather filter on the side of the valve cover, and cap the end off of the intake piping.

might as well clean and paint the valve cover while your at it. and expose the cam gears
disturbedfan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilstain View Post
Did one of you guys offer the dude your children in exchange for it? The guy kept talking about how weird some of the people that responded were.

By the way, I told him in my email that I had cash and was available immediately. That is the number one way to get something that is high demand from CL.

Someone giving me advice on buying from Craigslist? I don't think so. If I had even thought of clicking on the reply to seller link the car would be sitting in my driveway already with a Megasquirt and turbo kit. 2 reasons it's not. 1. It's black. 2. It's a 95. I've given away or sold every black 95 I ever owned. Some even twice.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Someone giving me advice on buying from Craigslist? I don't think so. If I had even thought of clicking on the reply to seller link the car would be sitting in my driveway already with a Megasquirt and turbo kit. 2 reasons it's not. 1. It's black. 2. It's a 95. I've given away or sold every black 95 I ever owned. Some even twice.
Aww, and I bet you think this song is about you, don't you?

The advice was for the people who were also trying to buy this car, if you weren't then it wasn't for you, genius.



Edit: By the way, this really sucks to be stuck at work with a project I'd really like to work on sitting at home.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilstain View Post
Aww, and I bet you think this song is about you, don't you?

The advice was for the people who were also trying to buy this car, if you weren't then it wasn't for you, genius.



Edit: By the way, this really sucks to be stuck at work with a project I'd really like to work on sitting at home.
Nobody else on this site posted that they tried to buy the car except for Bryan who you quoted as saying "me and Paul". Do you think it's a coincidence that my name is Paul or do you think that perhaps he meant me? When you quote someone you should understand that you are replying directly to what he/she posted.

BTW, you're welcome.


for letting you have the car.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Nobody else on this site posted that they tried to buy the car except for Bryan who you quoted as saying "me and Paul". Do you think it's a coincidence that my name is Paul or do you think that perhaps he meant me? When you quote someone you should understand that you are replying directly to what he/she posted.

BTW, you're welcome.


for letting you have the car.
OMG your name is Paul! Of course I knew he was talking about you and not any other Paul that exists on the East coast, or the forum, or wherever. The thing about the internet is that there are a whole bunch of people on it. Matter of fact, I'd have never known that disturbedfan121 is named Bryan unless I met the guy.

After your inane babbling about how you're too cool, and you'd never want my car because blah blah blah, I certainly didn't jump to the conclusion that you were trying to buy it. I honestly thought you were pulling a Hustler and just being an *** for whatever reason.

BTW, Ben, the seller, told me that even though three people contacted him before me, I was the only one to tell him that I had cash and was available to see it immediately. So that's why he contacted me instead of anyone else.

So yeah, I guess that song really was about you. I know the frustration with having someone scoop up a good car just seconds before you can. There was a sweet little blue guy with a hard top that sold for a grand in DC. I was just a few minutes too late to respond.

That hurt a little.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilstain View Post
OMG your name is Paul! Of course I knew he was talking about you and not any other Paul that exists on the East coast, or the forum, or wherever. The thing about the internet is that there are a whole bunch of people on it. Matter of fact, I'd have never known that disturbedfan121 is named Bryan unless I met the guy.

After your inane babbling about how you're too cool, and you'd never want my car because blah blah blah, I certainly didn't jump to the conclusion that you were trying to buy it. I honestly thought you were pulling a Hustler and just being an *** for whatever reason.

BTW, Ben, the seller, told me that even though three people contacted him before me, I was the only one to tell him that I had cash and was available to see it immediately. So that's why he contacted me instead of anyone else.

So yeah, I guess that song really was about you. I know the frustration with having someone scoop up a good car just seconds before you can. There was a sweet little blue guy with a hard top that sold for a grand in DC. I was just a few minutes too late to respond.

That hurt a little.
Mods,

Request for thread subject change: How to buy a car on Craigslist.

If you had the reading comprehension of at least a 2nd grader you would know Bryan is DisturbedFan121 since i told you what he said and referred to him by the name bryan. If A =B, and B = C, then A=C.

There is no frustration because I was not interested in the car. My girlfriend would probably kill me if I brought another Miata home. Besides I was busy last week with the horse race and all. Yes my horse won.

When you get a chance, check to see if the coils are 3 or 4 wire. I'm just curious.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Mods,

Request for thread subject change: How to buy a car on Craigslist.

If you had the reading comprehension of at least a 2nd grader you would know Bryan is DisturbedFan121 since i told you what he said and referred to him by the name bryan. If A =B, and B = C, then A=C.

There is no frustration because I was not interested in the car. My girlfriend would probably kill me if I brought another Miata home. Besides I was busy last week with the horse race and all. Yes my horse won.

When you get a chance, check to see if the coils are 3 or 4 wire. I'm just curious.
So really, instead of saying a bunch of pompous crap about what a flaming homo (I mean, really superior guy) you are, maybe you should have simply corrected Bryan aka disturbedfan121, when he mentioned that I beat you and him to the car.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

I can see you will get far on this forum.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Default

If I ever jump on to a thread, start bashing someone's car, start giving them **** about their humble and honest attempt to help someone else (or worse, me), all the while acting like I'm a child molesting homo, I'll ban myself.

Last edited by oilstain; 08-13-2008 at 04:28 PM.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

I'm not acting.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Total Cats: 12
Default

So I've ordered a ton of stuff from Rock Auto, and it turns out that everything except for two of my rotors will be here by the weekend. That kinda sucks, but what can you do, ya know. I've still got plenty of other work to do, and two other cars that need some attention, so I can't complain too much. I'm just anxious to get some seat time in this car.
oilstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

i found pic's of your dad:
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Momo Mod .78 330mm L4nthonyl Miata parts for sale/trade 1 09-25-2015 05:18 PM
1.8, C30-74 Rotrex, 9psi, 235WHP/190WTQ (E85) Lincoln Logs Dynos and timesheets 4 09-23-2015 01:26 PM
1997 Miata Misty_Miata pineda92 Meet and Greet 4 09-20-2015 10:22 PM
Miata Limo! ennjay General Miata Chat 2 09-17-2015 08:04 AM
Wtb: front bumper in good shape any color arnetts7 WTB 0 09-12-2015 04:14 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 PM.