Long time lurker with a Rotary Miata - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #41
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,894
Total Cats: 109
Default

The quickest Miatas are all rotary powered, and rotaries have won many championships in several different sanctioned motorsports.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 AM   #42
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
Total Cats: 0
Default

Nice car man, I myself am From Auburn.
cstott282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 181
Total Cats: -37
Default

Glorious. I'm planning on converting my Miata into a Dorito-powered unicorn eventually, as well. It seems like a great swap because of the light weight (bare long block is over a hundred pounds lighter than a B6 bare block), power potential, and the fact that a swap is easy as an RX-8 bellhousing, welding a mounting tab to the front of a V8R subframe, and having a custom exhaust made. Wiring up the Megasquirt is the fun part.

Mostly I'm just making this post so that in six years' time when I'm three years and $15,000 into the swap I can come back to this thread and rage at what a clueless ******* retard I was.
Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #44
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstott282 View Post
Nice car man, I myself am FromAuburn.
Always nice to see other CNY folks on the interwebs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure View Post
Glorious. I'm planning on converting my Miata into a Dorito-powered unicorn eventually, as well. It seems like a great swap because of the light weight (bare long block is over a hundred pounds lighter than a B6 bare block), power potential, and the fact that a swap is easy as an RX-8 bellhousing, welding a mounting tab to the front of a V8R subframe, and having a custom exhaust made. Wiring up the Megasquirt is the fun part.

Mostly I'm just making this post so that in six years' time when I'm three years and $15,000 into the swap I can come back to this thread and rage at what a clueless ******* retard I was.
Rx8 bellhousing won't swap over to the stock Miata trans. Would need to use an s4 na bellhousing on the Miata trans and slightly shorten the input shaft.

I have actually exceeded the 15k mark with my last iteration of parts I ordered. However my build included alot of bells and whistles (single turbo swap on a 13B-REW, Link G4 ECU, stainless piping / exhaust, stainless AN lines, etc.). It can be done alot cheaper if going na, starting with a turbo 2, using the Miata transmission, and using a Megasquirt for the ECU.

I also have a site I built at: www.rotarymiata.com with links to builds across the internet if your looking for more info on the swap.
wildman923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 181
Total Cats: -37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman923 View Post
Rx8 bellhousing won't swap over to the stock Miata trans. Would need to use an s4 na bellhousing on the Miata trans and slightly shorten the input shaft.
NA FC gearbox has a Miata 5 speed inside, RX-8 gearbox has a Miata 6 speed inside. If I buy a complete RX-8 6MT and just swap my NB1 6MT tailshaft onto it, I should be left with a transmission all ready to swap a BP into an RX-whatever. There's got to be at least one person in the entire world that would want to buy that, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman923 View Post
I have actually exceeded the 15k mark with my last iteration of parts I ordered. However my build included alot of bells and whistles (single turbo swap on a 13B-REW, Link G4 ECU, stainless piping / exhaust, stainless AN lines, etc.). It can be done alot cheaper if going na, starting with a turbo 2, using the Miata transmission, and using a Megasquirt for the ECU.
My plan was to use a stock TII long block with an FB front housing and get everything running, then change things from there. From what I understand, the single turbo fits in a Miata without cutting the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman923 View Post
I also have a site I built at: www.rotarymiata.com with links to builds across the internet if your looking for more info on the swap.
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #46
Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 36
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman923 View Post
I also have a site I built at: RotaryMiata.com with links to builds across the internet if your looking for more info on the swap.
LOL that's awesome. I had that URL back in 1998-2006ish. Chronicled the many revisions of my rotary miata. At one time that URL was the number one result for rotary miata searches on Google. Prolly should have sold it at that point

Glad you have it and are putting some good content up. Carry on!

Attached Thumbnails
Long time lurker with a Rotary Miata-medium.jpg  
AlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #47
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 761
Total Cats: 19
Default

Nice edit, I was about to say.. how did rotarymiata> ****.
So rotary still = block?
Haha there is a guy on here with an insane BPrx7 build. But the Miata transmission wouldn't hold well.
Impuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #48
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
LOL that's awesome. I had that URL back in 1998-2006ish. Chronicled the many revisions of my rotary miata. At one time that URL was the number one result for rotary miata searches on Google. Prolly should have sold it at that point

Glad you have it and are putting some good content up. Carry on!

That's awesome! I did a DNS Lookup one day and saw it wasn't taken and said hell with it, might as well build a small site. When I started my build I found bits and pieces here and there around the web but nothing as in depth as I wanted all in one place. So figured I'd make the site into a resource for those thinking about swapping in a 13b.
wildman923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #49
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

So If you ever want to start making motor mounts let me know. I'd be interested in a set. I been thinking of doing a rotary miata as a side project. Bridgeport is ******* sex.
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #50
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
This **** is ******* rad.
Says the guy who wants to drop a F2T into the FD in your shop
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Says the guy who wants to drop a F2T into the FD in your shop


Well yeah... because that's just hilarious on multiple levels, and probably cheaper than sticking a brotary back in it.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Pickup Engine Swap B.S. Monk Build Threads 24 12-11-2016 03:21 PM
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
FS/FT: 03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege leatherface24 Cars for sale/trade 15 10-16-2015 12:35 PM
Headphones PaperMate Insert BS here 32 09-25-2015 09:22 AM
Mystery Engine Trouble. Halp, mt.net! vehicular General Miata Chat 12 09-14-2015 04:17 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.