Crank doesn't turn after trying to start MS2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Total Cats: 1
Unhappy Crank doesn't turn after trying to start MS2

I just finish building a MS2, and wen't out today to try it in the car for the first time. I got it hooked up, and tried to start the car. The engine cranked for a short time, and then there was a loud THUNK. This noise was repeated on attempting to start the car on the stock ECU shortly thereafter. I also tried turning the crank by hand too, it won't budge.

I was certain to double and triple check everything while building the MegaSquirt, it was built from this guide: 90-97 MS2 sequential | Frank's Westfield MX5 90-97 MS2 sequential |

At this point I'm trying to figure out how I screwed up on the MegaSquirt build and how much damage I've done to my engine...

Any help is very much appreciated
MrMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

It's a non-interference engine. You couldn't have done much damage. Did you do anything else between when you had the car running last and when you installed the MS?
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
It's a non-interference engine. You couldn't have done much damage. Did you do anything else between when you had the car running last and when you installed the MS?
Not a single thing. I literally just swapped in the MS, plugged it into my computer, and tried to start the car.
MrMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Maybe pull a few spark plugs and take a peak to see if the cylinders are full of fuel........
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Maybe pull a few spark plugs and take a peak to see if the cylinders are full of fuel........
Good call, cylinders 2, 3 and 4 were flooded. Any idea why the MS would do that?
MrMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojo View Post
Good call, cylinders 2, 3 and 4 were flooded. Any idea why the MS would do that?
Do you have an early car? If so, did you unplug your TPS?
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

If you don't have a 1.6, then something is wired up wrong, or your crank settings are waaaay off. You might want to verify that your injectors aren't spraying with just the key in the on position. I'd imagine just leaving the spark plug out and turning the key to "on" you can smell if they are open. If not and it's flooding during cranking you need to adjust you settings. This is all assuming it's not a 1.6 and you needed to unplug the tps.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,392
Total Cats: 58
Default

Why was cyl1 not flooded (just leekdown or something different with that injector)?
NiklasFalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
If you don't have a 1.6, then something is wired up wrong, or your crank settings are waaaay off. You might want to verify that your injectors aren't spraying with just the key in the on position. I'd imagine just leaving the spark plug out and turning the key to "on" you can smell if they are open. If not and it's flooding during cranking you need to adjust you settings. This is all assuming it's not a 1.6 and you needed to unplug the tps.
It's a 96, so it can't be the TPS. I'll check if the injectors are spraying with the key on. My cranking PW settings are just the default values:

10.0 326
30.0 301
50.0 276
70.0 251
90.0 226
110.0 201
130.0 176
150.0 151
170.0 126
180.0 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasFalk View Post
Why was cyl1 not flooded (just leekdown or something different with that injector)?
I'm not sure, the cylinder looked dry. I'm inclined to believe something is wrong with the wiring.
MrMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Newb
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Total Cats: 1
Default

Also, injectors aren't spraying with with the power on, jumped the fuel pump to be sure.
MrMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.