Does anyone offer a E-Tune service for MSPNP 2nd Gens? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default Does anyone offer a E-Tune service for MSPNP 2nd Gens?

I'm playing with my miata again, and after getting the timing issues sorted I'm tired getting 10mpg. Does anyone offer a e-tune service. Before I got my wrx over to the dyno my tuner sent me a start up tune that was in some ways better than my full dyno tune. Does anyone offer something like this for the MSPNP. I need something until we get a house and then just get this thing sorted on the dyno.

I'm not looking for a dyno tune today, but something that gets the car around without feeling like its running on 3 cylinders, or super rich.
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 111
Total Cats: 2
Default

If you have the MS PnP and the LC-1 why not just set your AFR target tables and let it auto tune for a while? It got my car to a pretty good starting point.
akbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default

I've tried and the car seems to run for crap when I use autotune. I can manually adjust the table and it runs far better, but something just seems wrong and I don't know what it is. Rather than make this worse I figured I would ask. It also requires someone else drive the car and that a bit of a problem.

So I figured since its pretty common in the subaru world maybe it is here too and I just didn't know about it. I founds some who tunes NC's remotely but nothing for the NA/NB running a megasquirter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbloom View Post
If you have the MS PnP and the LC-1 why not just set your AFR target tables and let it auto tune for a while? It got my car to a pretty good starting point.
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Supporting Vendor
 
Matt Cramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,264
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apariah View Post
IBefore I got my wrx over to the dyno my tuner sent me a start up tune that was in some ways better than my full dyno tune.
If your WRX ran better on the tune it had before dyno tuning, you brought it to the wrong tuner.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default

I disagree, and I said in some ways. I didn't specify how it ran better. The point was I would be more than happy if my miata ran as well as my wrx did on the start up tune for price. It started stronger and was super safe. The final tune on the wrx was a different beast altogether and it had a different purpose. The tune was exactly what I wanted, and paid for. I think it was money very well spent considering all thats done to the car.

It is interesting you chose to respond the way you did rather than provide any thing useful. But I guess it shouldn't be shocking since it was kind of like most of the answer's i've received when calling DIY over the years. Thats part of the reason I don't bother anymore, oh and the fact it took over 6 months to get my original MSPNP back from you. After I had already paid for the 2nd Gen because you couldn't tell me when it would be done and I needed my car running.

And just to clarify the cost of the start up tune was 50 bucks and it was refunded once I went in for the dyno tune. They use to be free, but they were so nice many people ran their cars on the start up tunes.

BTW it looks like my issue may have been two bad COP's and not tuning.
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apariah View Post
I disagree, and I said in some ways. I didn't specify how it ran better. The point was I would be more than happy if my miata ran as well as my wrx did on the start up tune for price. It started stronger and was super safe. The final tune on the wrx was a different beast altogether and it had a different purpose. The tune was exactly what I wanted, and paid for. I think it was money very well spent considering all thats done to the car.

It is interesting you chose to respond the way you did rather than provide any thing useful. But I guess it shouldn't be shocking since it was kind of like most of the answer's i've received when calling DIY over the years. Thats part of the reason I don't bother anymore, oh and the fact it took over 6 months to get my original MSPNP back from you. After I had already paid for the 2nd Gen because you couldn't tell me when it would be done and I needed my car running.

And just to clarify the cost of the start up tune was 50 bucks and it was refunded once I went in for the dyno tune. They use to be free, but they were so nice many people ran their cars on the start up tunes.

BTW it looks like my issue may have been two bad COP's and not tuning.
So you just said a bunch of crap to the guy and it wasn't even a tuning issue after all?

The difference between this and your wrx is the OEM ecu on the wrx being already completely set up, vs this being a completely different ecu with a blank sleight for a tune and setup. You gotta do everything yourself. Its not the same.

Go buy a full standalone EMS for the wrx, plug it in, and see how many tuners will make you a well running map that will start/drive perfect.

Its just not the same. Apples to oranges. And I have yet to meet anyone that e-tunes megasquirts.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default

I didn't say a bunch of crap to him. I just responded to his comment. I DID NOT contact the guys at DIY about this issue. As I've said over the years they have been pretty unresponsive/unhelpful. After buying two different MSPNP's from them and a few other items would have expected more. I supported them as a consumer but they didn't follow up on their end. But you have not seen me post anything about this because I didn't see the point. However I did not appreciate Matt's comment considering past experience. The idea of being a jerk on the internet seems to be so common place now its expected. Well if he can make jerk comments I should be able to tell the truth about them. Oh and I have more, but again I don't see the point.

I built my car, and installed every single part on it. I understand the difference between the Cobb AP on a wrx and a MSPNP. However I have had issue after issue and was looking or an alternative. Please note I didn't asking anyone for anything for free. I'm willing to pay for a service.

No where in my original post did I mention Matt or his guys. If he wouldn't have commented I would not have even brought up the past.

And of course once I realized the issue, I updated my post. Because it might help someone else down the road.





Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
So you just said a bunch of crap to the guy and it wasn't even a tuning issue after all?

The difference between this and your wrx is the OEM ecu on the wrx being already completely set up, vs this being a completely different ecu with a blank sleight for a tune and setup. You gotta do everything yourself. Its not the same.

Go buy a full standalone EMS for the wrx, plug it in, and see how many tuners will make you a well running map that will start/drive perfect.

Its just not the same. Apples to oranges. And I have yet to meet anyone that e-tunes megasquirts.
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Its your thread, you're welcome to post whatever you want.
I'm just saying - a standalone ecu with a blank sleight is a whole lot more challenging to set up than an OEM ecu on a car with a few bolt ons.

I hope you get your issue figured out. I know you weren't expecting it for free, but even if you paid someone it would be a nightmare because its a lot different to set up one of these things.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
Supporting Vendor
 
Matt Cramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,264
Total Cats: 51
Default

Sorry if I came off the wrong way, but my first thought when you said your Miata was getting 10 mpg and that it sounded as if a WRX had left the shop with a tune that was worse than what it came in with was that you ought to question your tuner's competence, and I couldn't think of a tactful way to put it. So, this being Miata Turbo, I went with a tactless way. If (1) the tuner has no responsibility for your 10 mpg tune, and (2) I completely misunderstood about the WRX, then I apologize. If your tuner did in fact produce a 10 mpg map, then I stand by my recommendation that you need to find a better tuner.

If you post a copy of your MSQ file you have now and a data log of it running, I can offer suggestions on what to adjust for improvement, but not a completed tune.

I looked into what happened with the time you sent an MSPNP back to us, and I am sorry it took that long. This appears to have been a combination of bad timing (it arrived about the same time we had brought most of our techs to a trade show) and bad luck (Ben, who was assigned to repair the unit, got sick shortly after getting back from the show, and others were not aware of the unit's status). We've put steps in place to better organize returns since then and get them turned around faster.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default

I totally understand, I get the fact that the MSPNP Is different than any OEM computer. Thats why I was just looking for something better than I was able to come up with on my own. I didn't want or need perfect for now, just didn't want the car to run like it was broken. Once I decide on the next group of mods for the car its going in for a full tune.

This is also why I posted that It seems like a coil issue rather than the tune. I can't imagine any tuner would be able to make this work with bad coils. Someone else my have the same type of problem and think its the tune when it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Its your thread, you're welcome to post whatever you want.
I'm just saying - a standalone ecu with a blank sleight is a whole lot more challenging to set up than an OEM ecu on a car with a few bolt ons.

I hope you get your issue figured out. I know you weren't expecting it for free, but even if you paid someone it would be a nightmare because its a lot different to set up one of these things.
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default

Matt, it sounds like there may have been a misunderstand as far as the WRX tune,and internet effect on the other stuff.

With regards to the past, I'm over it, but it was just a little bothersome to see your response. I didn't bash your product, or assume something was wrong with it. I figured that somehow I was making a mistake in my tuning process.

I'm going to order a new set of coils Thursday and giving tuning it another shot. I will post the outcome once the new coils come in.

I appreciate your offer to provide feedback on the MSQ and data log once the new parts come in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
Sorry if I came off the wrong way, but my first thought when you said your Miata was getting 10 mpg and that it sounded as if a WRX had left the shop with a tune that was worse than what it came in with was that you ought to question your tuner's competence, and I couldn't think of a tactful way to put it. So, this being Miata Turbo, I went with a tactless way. If (1) the tuner has no responsibility for your 10 mpg tune, and (2) I completely misunderstood about the WRX, then I apologize. If your tuner did in fact produce a 10 mpg map, then I stand by my recommendation that you need to find a better tuner.

If you post a copy of your MSQ file you have now and a data log of it running, I can offer suggestions on what to adjust for improvement, but not a completed tune.

I looked into what happened with the time you sent an MSPNP back to us, and I am sorry it took that long. This appears to have been a combination of bad timing (it arrived about the same time we had brought most of our techs to a trade show) and bad luck (Ben, who was assigned to repair the unit, got sick shortly after getting back from the show, and others were not aware of the unit's status). We've put steps in place to better organize returns since then and get them turned around faster.
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Make sure to read over some guides about using the autotune feature. It does 'tune itself' but it's not as simple as turning it on and driving. You still have to do a bit of work, like make sure it won't try to tune the idle cells, and you will have to drive correctly to get the whole VE table tuned.

The reason nobody sells 'e-tunes' for the MS is it's so simple to get a safe, drivable tune yourself that nobody would pay for it. It's like paying someone so you can suck their dick. Sure maybe a few people would do it, but the vast majority of us just get on our knees and suck.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default

Now that I see the coil issue that could explain why I've had issues for a while now.

I made sure to only allow autotune to adjust the cells above idle. But something that was really different was tuning by tps vs. kpa.

Once I Get the new coils I wil get back into tuning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Make sure to read over some guides about using the autotune feature. It does 'tune itself' but it's not as simple as turning it on and driving. You still have to do a bit of work, like make sure it won't try to tune the idle cells, and you will have to drive correctly to get the whole VE table tuned.

The reason nobody sells 'e-tunes' for the MS is it's so simple to get a safe, drivable tune yourself that nobody would pay for it. It's like paying someone so you can suck their dick. Sure maybe a few people would do it, but the vast majority of us just get on our knees and suck.
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default

The new coils came, I did a test fit and tried starting the car. The car hasn't sounded like or reved like it just did in almost a year. So far so good. I'm going to looks COP settings for the MS2 just to make sure it wasn't a setting issue that caused the early death.
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #15
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NHR, TX
Posts: 536
Total Cats: -2
Default The Car Ran Great and Now it Sucks again.

So the car initially ran great. It even hit 15psi before it started stuttering again. I'm not sure what would have changed. I've attached the MSQ and Zipped Log file.
Attached Files
File Type: msq CT2014-08-13_01.43.19.msq (85.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: zip 2014-08-13.zip (403.4 KB, 15 views)
apariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 782
Total Cats: 23
Default

I am a newb but have just been through this..you have adjusted your dwell for the cops versus oem coils?

I was told that not adjusting the dwell can damage the cops...just something you "may" not have considered..... but you likely have.
mx5-kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
why is my car running like pewp? (tune/datalog) itsMikey MSPNP 3 09-28-2015 07:40 AM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.