I'm scared of megasquirt...will it do what I want? 1991 car - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default I'm scared of megasquirt...will it do what I want? 1991 car

I don't want to deal with modifying a board at all. I want to buy a complete unit that will control spark, fuel, radiator fan, and data logging would be nice. Basically, I want cheap stand alone. I don't want to mess with splicing into the factory harness, and don't want to deal with o2 clamps and spoofing the maf.

Basically, I'd like cheap stand alone and want to hook up my trigger, sensors, and drive the car. Is that possible with MS? I was very interested in emanage, but for the price, megasquirt might be a better option especially considering all the ghetto rigging you have to do. I just want to plug this **** in and tune it.


Also, how difficult is it to just run fuel, then use msd stuff to deal with timing? Does MS throw in fuel from a MAP input, and then do I have to worry about the stock ecm trimming in response to MS maps? Can I run a 330+cc injector, or do I have to worry about inability to trim on the stock ecm side?

I hate this crap, and would really like to find a cheap stand alone ecm on ebay.


Thanks for the help, I hate how expensive stand alone engine management has to be.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 248
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler
I don't want to deal with modifying a board at all. I want to buy a complete unit that will control spark, fuel, radiator fan, and data logging would be nice. Basically, I want cheap stand alone. I don't want to mess with splicing into the factory harness, and don't want to deal with o2 clamps and spoofing the maf.

Basically, I'd like cheap stand alone and want to hook up my trigger, sensors, and drive the car. Is that possible with MS? I was very interested in emanage, but for the price, megasquirt might be a better option especially considering all the ghetto rigging you have to do. I just want to plug this **** in and tune it.


Also, how difficult is it to just run fuel, then use msd stuff to deal with timing? Does MS throw in fuel from a MAP input, and then do I have to worry about the stock ecm trimming in response to MS maps? Can I run a 330+cc injector, or do I have to worry about inability to trim on the stock ecm side?

I hate this crap, and would really like to find a cheap stand alone ecm on ebay.


Thanks for the help, I hate how expensive stand alone engine management has to be.
Basicly it is like this; the MegaSquirt is a DIY ECU. It is not a plug and play system. Hell most of the time you gotta build it yor're self. Sorry man there is NO way you can get around having to wire and mod the board you're self. If you want plug and play go buy FM's Link ECU. You will have it up and running within a few hours more than likely.
With the MS doing fuel the stock ecu will have no control over the injectors, you can run any size you want.
The reason most of the ECU's out there are so darn expensive is becuase somebody had to make them and they would like to be payed for their hard work. If you spent countless hours developing something you would want to get some money back in return right? Like the old saying there is no free lunch. The MS is a friggin steal for how powerful it is tho, just takes some extra time getting it working.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Down Under
Posts: 252
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler

I hate this crap, and would really like to find a cheap stand alone ecm on ebay.
Then I would suggest that you go and search ebay.

The whole point behind the MS is that it's a learning experience. The tone of your post suggests that you aren't interested in learning or doing anything and the whole MS experience would be wasted on you.

Go find a cheap Link somewhere and I hope that it fulfils all of your needs.
Aussie Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I don't see why link wouldn't work, but I'm not going to find it for less than the price I payed for my car. :(

I wish I could get it from someone other than fm. I also don't like how you can't just buy thier ecm, you also have to buy a bunch of crap so you can actually use it.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 248
Total Cats: 0
Default

What do you consider expensive? What would you consider cheap?
kingofl337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofl337
What do you consider expensive? What would you consider cheap?

I don't want to spend more than $500 on engine management. At this point I'll either do megasquirt, find a cheap used system from any stand alone brand, or just save up for link. I'll probably end up doing just fuel on ms, and run the msd retard box.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,272
Total Cats: 32
Default

Why not just follow this:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/show....php?p=1862982

Looks pretty straightforward!
timk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 248
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler
I don't see why link wouldn't work, but I'm not going to find it for less than the price I payed for my car. :(

I wish I could get it from someone other than fm. I also don't like how you can't just buy thier ecm, you also have to buy a bunch of crap so you can actually use it.
You got a miata for 1500? Thats pretty cheap. I assume you plan on turboing the maita?
Basicly the ECU is a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other stuff you will end up buying/destroying when you have a turbo car. I mean the greddy kit on sale, the most barebones "kit" ever is still 1200 dollars. 1200 dollars, think about that. A clutch is $300+. Injectors are $74-300 depending on what you go with. Tires and wheels $1000+. An intercooler is $300-1100 dollars. BOV is $25-250 dollars. A ballbearing turbo? 800+ US $. Oil lines, downpipe fab, exhuast,wideband,tuneing,gauges it goes on and on. I mean really ECU's are inline with what everything else is. The megasquirt is a freakin' steal! If you cant afford it then save up or just dont buy it at all. Remember you dont _need_ a fast car :gay:
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:51 AM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofl337
What do you consider expensive? What would you consider cheap?
__________________
1992 - 1.6L, 550cc, T25, LC-1, Caged, Squirted
1999 - 10AE, OBX Header, Racing Beat Duals, Ground Controls.

Ask me about 90-93 Plug and Play MS


OK, I am asking about plug and play MS. BTW... I live in Portland, ME
blue_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:29 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_sky
OK, I am asking about plug and play MS. BTW... I live in Portland, ME
First, I recommend you read through the following threads:

KingofL337's installation:
https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2217

Aussie Drivers installation:
https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2993

There is a bit of a learning curve to understand all the terminology, but it just takes time. If you want to use the megasquirt you will likely need to spend lots of it. So whats worth more ... your time (and a great experience) or your money? I chose to spend my time as I enjoy the challenge ... however I wouldnt even think about it if it was my only car
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryrye
First, I recommend you read through the following threads:

KingofL337's installation:
https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2217

Aussie Drivers installation:
https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2993

There is a bit of a learning curve to understand all the terminology, but it just takes time. If you want to use the megasquirt you will likely need to spend lots of it. So whats worth more ... your time (and a great experience) or your money? I chose to spend my time as I enjoy the challenge ... however I wouldnt even think about it if it was my only car
Thanks for the information!

I have read the above threads and have a pretty good idea of what I would be getting into w/ this install.

I have a 91 Mariner, the car is a third car for me, and sees about 7-8K miles per year. I am still working through an all motor build vs. a turbo, but that is another issue.

Time is my enemy at this time, and I believe that I can budget the time to learn to tune MS, but I am not sure if I have the time to build and tune, thus the interest in kingofl337's signature about plug and play for 90-93.

I was going to send him a PM, but the board won't let me until I have made 10 posts, and his email link is not active.

I also live pretty close to him and would love to check out the setup sometime.
blue_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15
Total Cats: 0
Default

I made a few posts, now I can PM!!
blue_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 248
Total Cats: 0
Default

blue sky you have PM
kingofl337 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
FS/FT: 03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege leatherface24 Cars for sale/trade 15 10-16-2015 12:35 PM
Squiblez 1996 Montego blue Squiblez Build Threads 2 09-22-2015 11:17 AM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 04:41 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 AM.