BEGi Shanghai-S Installed but Overboosting - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #21
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson87 View Post
u need an intercooler.
hey tyson, what did you have to modify in order to get that garrett wastegate bracket and actuator to work on your shanghai?
IMG_1911.jpg
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #22
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
That or just add some water injection. Cheaper and easier than an IC, and should be fine for what you are doing.
I may very well do that. I was looking at the Cooling-Mist kist for 200 bucks on ebay. Also, I was thinking of maybe doing direct port W/I, I used to run direct port nitrous on this car and I could pull the pipe thred plugs out of my manifold and put the W/I nozzles in pretty easily

IMG_5236_re_sm.jpg
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #23
Former Vendor
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bell Tuning & Performance
Posts: 1,338
Total Cats: -78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
hey tyson, what did you have to modify in order to get that garrett wastegate bracket and actuator to work on your shanghai?
There was one or two - at the very beginning - that went with Garrett actuators instead of the Chinese one. That is probably what happened with tyson's.
Stephanie
Stephanie Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Turner View Post
There was one or two - at the very beginning - that went with Garrett actuators instead of the Chinese one. That is probably what happened with tyson's.
Stephanie
oh okay, so is it terribly difficult to modify it to work? and can the turbo stay clocked the way it is?

Even if I do add an intercooler or W/I Im still maxing out the FMU on 9-10psi
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

Just to share a little of my experience,

On my 99 I had the BEGi-S and their FMU... added IC and 305 injectors and did nothing to control timing.

Started to run E85 about 50/50 at first and then started to go 60/40 E85:93 gas mix. Ran 11PSI all day long in summer with no knock.

If you can run E85, I encourage you to try since it will kill the knock while you wait for an ECU solution.

Ran like this for over a year with no issues. All on a 99 with an auto!

Cheers,
Prospero
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
I may very well do that. I was looking at the Cooling-Mist kist for 200 bucks on ebay. Also, I was thinking of maybe doing direct port W/I, I used to run direct port nitrous on this car and I could pull the pipe thred plugs out of my manifold and put the W/I nozzles in pretty easily
Yeah if they are 1/8" NPT (looks like it) then you are set. All you need is a manifold to split the flow to the nozzles. You still only need one check valve. Just get a DO kit (comes with two nozzles you select), two extra 1 gpm nozzles, a manifold, and run it off of the washer fluid bottle, which is big enough for now. The DO nozzles screw in from the outside. Done

There was a WI thread around here somewhere showing a 4-into-1 WI fitting thing that would work for the manifold. Search around and you will find the thread.

Unless you get a smoking deal on a drop-in IC kit (no fab, like BEGI, FM, or TDR) then this will be a lot easier and cheaper IMO.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #27
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
tyson87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,023
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
Yeah if they are 1/8" NPT (looks like it) then you are set. All you need is a manifold to split the flow to the nozzles. You still only need one check valve. Just get a DO kit (comes with two nozzles you select), two extra 1 gpm nozzles, a manifold, and run it off of the washer fluid bottle, which is big enough for now. The DO nozzles screw in from the outside. Done

There was a WI thread around here somewhere showing a 4-into-1 WI fitting thing that would work for the manifold. Search around and you will find the thread.

Unless you get a smoking deal on a drop-in IC kit (no fab, like BEGI, FM, or TDR) then this will be a lot easier and cheaper IMO.
also make sure u get ur pipes welded with the bung for ur IAT

what do u mean "fab"? all we had to do was cut two pipes for mine to work



that was my parts list
along with the intercooler from cxracing
Quote:
FROM THE TURBO

1 2” 45* COUPLER
1 2” 90* PIPE WITH ABOUT A 10” LONG LEG
1 2” 90* COUPLER
1 2” STRAIGHT PIPE (ABOUT) 8”
1 2” TO 2.5” COUPLER

INTERCOOLER

FROM THE INTERCOOLER

1 2.5” 90* COUPLER
1 2.5” 90* PIPE WITH LONG LEG
1 2.5” 90* COUPLER
1 2.5” STRAIGHT PIPE (ABOUT 6” LONG)
1 2.5” COUPLER
1 2.5” 90* PIPE

END AT THROTTLE BODY


You will need 9 2.5” clamps and 5 2.0” clamps
tyson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 AM.