Carb kegal Turbo kit - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb kegal Turbo kit

Old 03-24-2018, 11:34 AM
  #1  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default Carb kegal Turbo kit

Hello, I have a 1995 1.8l miata and was looking into getting FI. I saw the BTP turbo kit, but keep reading horror stories on fitment and sketchy carb kegal issues. My power goal is 200WHP, while staying carb legal. I also saw the FFS kit and this seems like the best route. Has the BTP fixed their issues or should I just go FFS and call it a day?
Tokugawa Ieyasu is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 11:56 AM
  #2  
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 14,198
Total Cats: 1,260
Default

FFS is the only option truly legal option.
shuiend is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 12:31 PM
  #3  
idiotloserfuckfacegarbo
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,981
Total Cats: -83
Default

Its spelled kegel.
thumpetto007 is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 02:51 PM
  #4  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,806
Total Cats: 1,370
Default

Originally Posted by Tokugawa Ieyasu View Post
Hello, I have a 1995 1.8l miata and was looking into getting FI. I saw the BTP turbo kit, but keep reading horror stories on fitment and sketchy carb kegal issues. My power goal is 200WHP, while staying carb legal. I also saw the FFS kit and this seems like the best route. Has the BTP fixed their issues or should I just go FFS and call it a day?
BTP isn't actually CARB legal, so that sounds like an easy choice.
concealer404 is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 04:07 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 671
Total Cats: 61
Default

Originally Posted by Tokugawa Ieyasu View Post
I just go FFS and call it a day?
FFS is a legitimimate company that will ship you a fully legal kit that passes smog in California.

After tuning a BTP equipped "smog legal" kit in California on a 1.6 car, I cringed at the thought of what would happen if a smog station (especially a STAR one, likely due to the age of the car) was to inspect the car.
The owner quickly sold the Miata and bought a Skyline R32 after fighting with the issues he was having about four months later.

Be smart. Go FFS.

PS. If you are familiar at all with that CARB legal means in California, the first red flag here (after BTP) is the fact that the kit was being tuned. You cannot just send someone a Megasquirt and say "that's OK, that falls under THIS item number from the original EO".

Who ended up getting the short end of the stick?
Right. The customer who couldn't pass smog with his "CARB legal" kit.
SchmoozerJoe is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 04:57 PM
  #6  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

Thank you guys for the replies. I appreciate it.
Tokugawa Ieyasu is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 AM
  #7  
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South El Monte, CA
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'm on the same boat as you. I have a 1995 Miata and wanted a CARB legal turbo kit but there really isn't any out there. Supercharging was the only CARB legal solution otherwise you would have to pass smog illegally or go back to stock every two years before undergoing a smog check.
hvu2 is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:24 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 671
Total Cats: 61
Default

Originally Posted by hvu2 View Post
... you would have to pass smog illegally or go back to stock every two years before undergoing a smog check.
Let me just help with the decision making process if you decide to go this route.

MK Turbo or TSE kits will be the proven solutions, especially if CARB is a non-consideration for you.
SchmoozerJoe is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 06:09 AM
  #9  
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South El Monte, CA
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by SchmoozerJoe View Post
Let me just help with the decision making process if you decide to go this route.

MK Turbo or TSE kits will be the proven solutions, especially if CARB is a non-consideration for you.
Thanks! I have looked at MK Turbo and it looks like a good budget solution.
hvu2 is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 AM
  #10  
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 14,198
Total Cats: 1,260
Default

If you check out Sonofthehills build thread you can read about how he deals with emissions in Cali when running my turbo setup.
shuiend is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 01:18 PM
  #11  
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South El Monte, CA
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
If you check out Sonofthehills build thread you can read about how he deals with emissions in Cali when running my turbo setup.
Thanks, that will be useful for me in the future.
hvu2 is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 PM
  #12  
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 4,364
Total Cats: 509
Default

Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
BTP isn't actually CARB legal, so that sounds like an easy choice.
The Bell NA kits are actually legitimately CARB legal if you use them with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Not that you want to do that, but it does conform to the EO.

It's the 99 kits that are questionable due to deleting the pre-cat (because no special 99 manifold any more) and games with the "timing retard device".

--Ian
codrus is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:06 PM
  #13  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,806
Total Cats: 1,370
Default

Originally Posted by codrus View Post
The Bell NA kits are actually legitimately CARB legal if you use them with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Not that you want to do that, but it does conform to the EO.

It's the 99 kits that are questionable due to deleting the pre-cat (because no special 99 manifold any more) and games with the "timing retard device".

--Ian
Which one of these two is that?

https://www.belltuning.com/na-nb-mia...o-systems.html
concealer404 is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:20 PM
  #14  
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 4,364
Total Cats: 509
Default

Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Presumably the BTP-S on a 1.6 with the "no fuel" option and a rising rate FPR installed instead.
I agree that Bell is playing it a bit fast and loose with their EOs, but it *is* possible to configure a legal system for certain years.

--Ian
codrus is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 02:23 PM
  #15  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,806
Total Cats: 1,370
Default

There you go, OP.

Sell your car, get a 90-93, buy a kit, change some things, and hope that you can skate through and that paperwork is in order from the transfer between the two separate companies. :lol:
concealer404 is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 03:42 PM
  #16  
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 14,198
Total Cats: 1,260
Default

Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
There you go, OP.

Sell your car, get a 90-93, buy a kit, change some things, and hope that you can skate through and that paperwork is in order from the transfer between the two separate companies. :lol:
Honestly that is an interesting question as to who the CARB EO follows. It was originally setup by Begi which no longer exists. There is Bell Tuning and MaxG. Both separate companies, both from Begi. No clue which one actually has the rights to the CARB EO and making a setup that passes.
shuiend is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 05:33 PM
  #17  
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 4,364
Total Cats: 509
Default

Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Honestly that is an interesting question as to who the CARB EO follows. It was originally setup by Begi which no longer exists. There is Bell Tuning and MaxG. Both separate companies, both from Begi. No clue which one actually has the rights to the CARB EO and making a setup that passes.
I think the EO is considered a business asset, as with other intellectual property, and ownership is specified in the contracts that split the business.

--Ian
codrus is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 PM
  #18  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default Flying miata Carb legal turbo kit

This just came out for all you CARB legal folks.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/stage-1-turbo-system-na8-chassis.html
Tokugawa Ieyasu is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 11:04 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 80
Total Cats: 4
Default

Originally Posted by Tokugawa Ieyasu View Post
This just came out for all you CARB legal folks.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/stage-1-turbo-system-na8-chassis.html
GD it, FML and my CA-spec NB1. I need Nelson to kick me in the *****, point and laugh.

Time to buy an NA.
RunninOnEmpty is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 PM
  #20  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,298
Total Cats: 175
Default

They have a carb legal version of every generation...
Chiburbian is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb kegal Turbo kit


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.