Help with Greddy Turbo! - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default Help with Greddy Turbo!

I introduced myself in another section so I won't do so again. Setup is a 1.6 with Greddy turbo, no intercooler. Changed the manifold and car was ok. I let it warm up, idle was good, AF was spot on. Punched it and something let go, pop the hood and we have white smoke from the turbo area above on top of the manifold.

Car currently idles but its rough, it will sit at 850-900 but sounds rough, af goes from green to lean at times at idle. Smoke from turbo but it seems to spool. I'm thinking its a bad exhaust leak. Any ideas?
NYCMiataTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

Green to lean? You mean a narrowband? I'm guessing blown head gasket.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 165
Total Cats: 19
Default

Dumb NC owner question time: are the NA's using a composite gasket? I thought they were all multi-layer metal gaskets across the board. The NC"s basically never blow a head gasket because it's essentially a metal sandwich.

If it's white smoke then coolant is involved somehow. If it's really a head gasket, depending on how it broke, you may have water in the oil and/or oil in the water. The common example is "chocolate milk" looking coolant, but that doesn't always happen. I'd pull the dipstick and look for signs of water in the crankcase.

Compression check time!
albuquerquefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 165
Total Cats: 19
Default

Also, how is this a "prefabbed turbo kit" question? I actually came into this forum checking to see if Fab9 had more faptastic pictures of the NC kit. (He doesn't :( )
albuquerquefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albuquerquefx View Post
Dumb NC owner question time: are the NA's using a composite gasket? I thought they were all multi-layer metal gaskets across the board. The NC"s basically never blow a head gasket because it's essentially a metal sandwich.

If it's white smoke then coolant is involved somehow. If it's really a head gasket, depending on how it broke, you may have water in the oil and/or oil in the water. The common example is "chocolate milk" looking coolant, but that doesn't always happen. I'd pull the dipstick and look for signs of water in the crankcase.

Compression check time!
1.6 came with composite head gaskets from the factory. 1.8 come with MLS head gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albuquerquefx View Post
Also, how is this a "prefabbed turbo kit" question? I actually came into this forum checking to see if Fab9 had more faptastic pictures of the NC kit. (He doesn't :( )
This sub section has been around long before Fab9 was here.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 165
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
This sub section has been around long before Fab9 was here.
The point wasn't Fab9, the point was a subforum named Prefabbed Turbo Kits, of which Fab9 is one of many. Is "my personal greddy turbo kit of unknown origin or design has popped" a prefab turbo kit question?

That was the point I was attempting to make. Not sure how it got lost in translation...
albuquerquefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

I would have thought a Greddy kit falls under "pre-fab turbo kit". Dropped the car off at a known tuner in Long Island. Brought the racecar to work.
NYCMiataTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 441
Total Cats: 21
Default

sorry

Last edited by Forrest95M; 03-10-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: dont band me plz
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 441
Total Cats: 21
Default

hrtjytrygehrtdtertgfdbrtbgsdf
Forrest95M is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo ND? Cool car Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 23 02-11-2016 02:42 PM
1.6 megasquirt bear rider WTB 2 11-10-2015 01:00 AM
Turbo and Engine Parts Galore! - GT2560, Eagle Rod, Supertech FM Manifold & much more cyotani Miata parts for sale/trade 9 10-26-2015 11:18 AM
Turbo Identification Blayton DIY Turbo Discussion 5 10-23-2015 11:13 AM
Good Start for a 1.8 swap... Elfering Miata parts for sale/trade 0 10-19-2015 04:41 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 AM.