New air filter for Greddy - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Ole
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 110
Total Cats: 0
Default New air filter for Greddy

I am soon removing my AFM and will have to replace my K&N air filter.

What air filter setup are you guys that are running greddy mani and turbo?

My turbo are not clocked, and I am running the "Stripes Pipes" for my IC.
Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 17
Default

Autozone special.
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
mca
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 153
Total Cats: 1
Default

I'm also interested in seeing some AFM-less setups. Planning a MS install soon.
mca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca View Post
I'm also interested in seeing some AFM-less setups. Planning a MS install soon.
It looks pretty much identical, there just isn't an AFM.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
mca
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 153
Total Cats: 1
Default

So the filter ends up above the shock tower? I've seen some setups with the filter coming straight out of the inlet. Is there an appreciable difference in performance?
mca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 17
Default

You can put it any where you want, just buy some piping in the proper diameter.

Are you still using the stock greddy intake elbow thingymabobber?

Or just stick the filter on the turbo, I'm 72% sure it won't burn off
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 411
Total Cats: 0
Default

I use the A'PEXi power funnel cone intake with 2.5" ID piping to my stock AFM. It's not as good at filtering as an OEM paper (and nothing is, really) but it doesn't have the same long-term ill effects that my wet-type K&N gave me on other cars. They're 100 bucks per filter, so you might want to rob a few dealerships before buying one.
E-NA6CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,085
Total Cats: 30
Default

You might want to look into the AEM Dryflow series, I did some reading and it seems to be the best choice
albumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
I use the A'PEXi power funnel cone intake with 2.5" ID piping to my stock AFM. It's not as good at filtering as an OEM paper (and nothing is, really) but it doesn't have the same long-term ill effects that my wet-type K&N gave me on other cars. They're 100 bucks per filter, so you might want to rob a few dealerships before buying one.
This whole thread is about removing the AFM, so an oil filter isn't going to affect a MAP based car at all... buying an apexi powerintake filter would be quite the waste of money.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 411
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
This whole thread is about removing the AFM, so an oil filter isn't going to affect a MAP based car at all... buying an apexi powerintake filter would be quite the waste of money.
Using a wet-style filter will still have negative effects throughout the rest of the intake system, throttle body (butterfly movement) and so on. Anywhere there is cyclonic air movement in the intake system is a potential problem for moisture (especially oil particles from the filter) to sit and build. Sure, it won't happen for quite a while, but still, why even use one when it creates long-term problems?
E-NA6CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
mca
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 153
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
You can put it any where you want, just buy some piping in the proper diameter.

Are you still using the stock greddy intake elbow thingymabobber?

Or just stick the filter on the turbo, I'm 72% sure it won't burn off
Yes, I believe I still have the stock Greddy thing, or at least something in the same U-bend shape. I wonder if keeping the filter up near the master cylinder would help if you could get fresh air from the cowl area?
mca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca View Post
Yes, I believe I still have the stock Greddy thing, or at least something in the same U-bend shape. I wonder if keeping the filter up near the master cylinder would help if you could get fresh air from the cowl area?
I personally think fresh air is redundant in a turbo setup. The air is just going to get heated going through the turbo, and then hopefully cooled in the intercooler.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 AM   #13
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,505
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
I personally think fresh air is redundant in a turbo setup. The air is just going to get heated going through the turbo, and then hopefully cooled in the intercooler.
Cool air matters more with a turbo.
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connect-I-Cut
Posts: 1,431
Total Cats: 0
Default

miataspeed2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
Ole
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 110
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataspeed2005 View Post
Thanks!

It was something like this I was looking for.

Nice to have something to look at so I do not spend $150 on piping and filter finding out that the hood is touching the filter when I close it or something...

Last edited by Ole; 03-29-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
Ole
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 110
Total Cats: 0
Default

Does anyone know if a 2.5" sillicone hose will fit on the greddy turbo inlet? It is a bit to big i think..
I know the right diameter is 60mm but it is difficult fo find reducers 3"- 60mm...
Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 411
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole View Post
Does anyone know if a 2.5" sillicone hose will fit on the greddy turbo inlet? It is a bit to big i think..
I know the right diameter is 60mm but it is difficult fo find reducers 3"- 60mm...
When I had the GReddy kit I just got the shop to fab me an elbow with two different diameters so I could use a normal coupler on each side. Doesn't really make that much difference. Just an idea.
E-NA6CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connect-I-Cut
Posts: 1,431
Total Cats: 0
Default

I used a 2.5"
miataspeed2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 291
Total Cats: 5
Default

The proper standard equivalent to 60mm is 2-3/8".
Sokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

A bit of a dumb question, but is it necessary to have a filter?
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Today 10:04 PM
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
K&N Intake Filter nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 0 09-28-2015 09:46 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 PM.