Possibly purchasing a turboed miata.. Greddy kit.. - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #41
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentooo View Post
That one is in Harrisonburg PA. xD Little too far.

EDIT: But that would definitely be amazing...
It's a 4 hour drive doing the freakin speed limit.
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #42
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLAFIN View Post
It's a 4 hour drive doing the freakin speed limit.
Good point...
I will have to talk this one over..

Appreciate the help :P
Kentooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #43
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Newbsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,304
Total Cats: 2
Default

Um, your not going to find a steal in your area unless you are willing to wait. 4 hours is not that serious for a good deal and a good platform like that M.
Newbsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #44
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
Um, your not going to find a steal in your area unless you are willing to wait. 4 hours is not that serious for a good deal and a good platform like that M.
Yeah i understand, problem is, i have to find someone who is willing to make that drive with me. I don't really have any friends here yet since i just moved to Richmond 3 or so weeks ago. But again, i understand.

EDIT: Talking things over with my mom tonight, i'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by Kentooo; 03-29-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Kentooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #45
Antisaint
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

I bought mine bone stock off a guy in Vermont through ebay. I probably paid too much, but the car had 40k miles and was mint so I didnt care.

Doing all the work yourself is not only a learning experience and gratifying, but its the right way to do it. Buying a car that's already modded with potential problems isn't a great idea. Buying a car that's modded but done correctly with no bs is a different story, but then you'll have to pay to play.

Buying a well maintained, stock or lightly modded miata is your best bet. If it looks like its got slap on parts, it was probably treated like one. There's been A LOT of nice cars for sale on here over the years. I understand your looking to do this ASAP, but at least look around a little more.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #46
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashthestampede View Post
I bought mine bone stock off a guy in Vermont through ebay. I probably paid too much, but the car had 40k miles and was mint so I didnt care.

Doing all the work yourself is not only a learning experience and gratifying, but its the right way to do it. Buying a car that's already modded with potential problems isn't a great idea. Buying a car that's modded but done correctly with no bs is a different story, but then you'll have to pay to play.

Buying a well maintained, stock or lightly modded miata is your best bet. If it looks like its got slap on parts, it was probably treated like one. There's been A LOT of nice cars for sale on here over the years. I understand your looking to do this ASAP, but at least look around a little more.
I completely agree about modding it yourself. And i've always been one for doing so and still am. I'm going to try to talk my mom into driving me up to PA to get that M edition one and i'll go from there.

Appreciate the advice and information!
Kentooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #47
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 3,110
Total Cats: 127
Default

Fly somewhere, drive home happy/thread
jacob300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #48
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob300zx View Post
Fly somewhere, drive home happy/thread
He sounds like he's (if you're not I apologize) about 17, so I have a feeling there'd be a lot of hurdles for him to be "allowed" to fly somewhere and drive home.
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #49
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Newbsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,304
Total Cats: 2
Default

An amtrak ticket is 120 dollars from Richmond to Harrisburg on Saturday. 104 dollars if you leave on Monday morning. You have been spoon fed!
Newbsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #50
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

I got my 94 miata for two grand it has 127,000 miles. I live in VA beach, wait and oppertunity will come your way.
slighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central-ish VA
Posts: 4,449
Total Cats: 16
Default

I will sell you my newly stock 92 for $1350. Has good tires on Rota Group-N wheels. Top is Duetto motors no zip glass rear. Engine is freshly rebuilt, about 500mi on it. No AC or PS, PS was fully depowered. It's Ford Mineral Grey and has some cosmetic issues, paint is has flaked in some areas, pass fender is banged up, has a dent under the pass door from a curb that needs repair. I never sweated this stuff because I only cared about function. After my last semi-built motor blew I decided to call it quits. It just passed inspection also. Everything has been gone over on the car.

I'm in Richmond if you are interested in meeting up and checking it out. I have the title in hand. PM me for my cell if you are interested.

Brian
neogenesis2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #52
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

I am watching CL etc like a hawk right now, so if my plans work out I can snap up whatever deals are available. And I can tell you that here in CO people get incredibly stupid incredibly fast on their pricing as soon as we have a few 70 degree days. CL for the whole front range reigon went from tons of cars between 3K and 7K to being unable to find anything under 6K that was not incredibly high mileage or beat to ****. And it happened in the space of a week. So if you are buying in northern climes, I woud wait untill next winter personally. At least here, people are stupid greedy bastards with these cars. They post BS like 'rare' and the ubiquitous doush comment that it has 'go-hart handling' due to the strut tower brace and 195 width new all-seasons. Then they try to sell a 92 for 5500 dollars because it has only 80K miles and a luggage rack.

Even if my life works out well I will probably wait untill next winter to buy, or drive down to NM where they are cheaper.
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #53
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Well i ended up purchasing the silver one posted earlier in this thread for 2500.

Got the timing fixed, raised it and haven't had a problem since and i've already put nearly 1,000 miles on it.

After purchasing a timing light and some other misc ****, i ended up spending 2600 on it.

I'm 19 and honestly, i could have flown anywhere but i was slightly pressed on time as well as cash for getting a car so local would have been best.

I'm looking to possibly turbo it in the future so i'll probably just be lurking these forums for now since i'm NA. However, i greatly appreciate all the advice and help you guys gave me.
Kentooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #54
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentooo View Post
Well i ended up purchasing the silver one posted earlier in this thread for 2500.

Got the timing fixed, raised it and haven't had a problem since and i've already put nearly 1,000 miles on it.

After purchasing a timing light and some other misc ****, i ended up spending 2600 on it.

I'm 19 and honestly, i could have flown anywhere but i was slightly pressed on time as well as cash for getting a car so local would have been best.

I'm looking to possibly turbo it in the future so i'll probably just be lurking these forums for now since i'm NA. However, i greatly appreciate all the advice and help you guys gave me.
I think you made the right decision. Congrats on the car.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #55
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 17
Default

Yes, Good job peer.
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #56
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
I think you made the right decision. Congrats on the car.
Thank you :P I'm loving the way the car handles, and possibly attending my first autocross event tomorrow
Kentooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #57
I EAT CUM
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Redneck, Texas
Posts: 1,218
Total Cats: -1
Default

Post pics.
Turbo_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #58
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'll post some when I get home tonight, I'm on my phone at work posting now :P
Kentooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #59
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

If you have to buy something already turbo'd ...then wait.

Occasionally a good condition car with a BEGi FM kit and a good tune if not really engine management will pop up.

If you're not ready to take the above advice and buy a car with only basic suspension/wheel mods and build from there, then patience is the key. There are some real dumbasses out there trying to mod their cars, and you don't want to clean up their mess.



If I could go back though I'd prefer to build a setup. Find a clean 1.8L (bigger brakes, stronger diff, more displacement), and go from there. If it comes with nice shocks then great, one less thing to spend on. Then go buy a welder, or hit up one of the guys here that fabricates, and get the setup I REALLY want. This would be after putting in a MS and learning how to tune n/a of course.

Good luck.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #60
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post

If you're not ready to take the above advice and buy a car with only basic suspension/wheel mods and build from there, then patience is the key. There are some real dumbasses out there trying to mod their cars, and you don't want to clean up their mess.


Good luck.
I think he's ready since he did buy one with only basic suspension/wheel mods, and he plans to build from there...
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.