Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prefabbed Options

 
Old 07-19-2017, 05:19 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 639
Total Cats: 19
Default Prefabbed Options

I used to frequent this site, then I bought a C5 and have been driving and tinkering with it for the last few years and have put the idea of a turbo miater on the back burner. Well Im back to wanting a turbo car, specifically a miata. So I'm going to sell the vette and build me a miata.

Gonna be a 1.6 carhave a

Ive always assumed Id do a budget DIY setup, been eyeing the Kraken td04 setup in the classifieds, but Im to the point now, Id rather pay for something decent and PnP, so I dont have to have a years long build before it gets were I want it. Looking for bolt on turbo, stab a clutch and diff in and enjoy it.

So what are my complete prefabbed options and recommendations?

Ive seen MKTurbo and I like it, my only question is, does the megasquirt come tuned or am I going to have to fiddle with learning to tune a boosted car and troubleshooting all the **** I will **** up?

I like the two Flying Miata kits, since they are bolt on and go, and I think 150whp that i could enjoy immediately and room to grow while i get a MS and learn to tune (Voodoo kit) would be nice, but the FM2 seems like the set it and forget it thing to do for 200whp, but then I have to pay for it.

Saw Bell tuning but seemed like slim pickings with no intercooled options (I may have missed them)
Opti is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 05:25 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 635
Total Cats: 73
Default

Originally Posted by Opti View Post
I used to frequent this site, then I bought a C5 and have been driving and tinkering with it for the last few years and have put the idea of a turbo miater on the back burner. Well Im back to wanting a turbo car, specifically a miata. So I'm going to sell the vette and build me a miata.

Gonna be a 1.6 carhave a

Ive always assumed Id do a budget DIY setup, been eyeing the Kraken td04 setup in the classifieds, but Im to the point now, Id rather pay for something decent and PnP, so I dont have to have a years long build before it gets were I want it. Looking for bolt on turbo, stab a clutch and diff in and enjoy it.

So what are my complete prefabbed options and recommendations?

Ive seen MKTurbo and I like it, my only question is, does the megasquirt come tuned or am I going to have to fiddle with learning to tune a boosted car and troubleshooting all the **** I will **** up?

I like the two Flying Miata kits, since they are bolt on and go, and I think 150whp that i could enjoy immediately and room to grow while i get a MS and learn to tune (Voodoo kit) would be nice, but the FM2 seems like the set it and forget it thing to do for 200whp, but then I have to pay for it.

Saw Bell tuning but seemed like slim pickings with no intercooled options (I may have missed them)
This is an impossibility. It will have a base tune, but it will have to be tuned from there. Every car/setup is different enough that you can't just have a tune that works perfectly on every car.
SpartanSV is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 PM
  #3  
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 1
Default

First off, I have the MKTurbo kit in my garage awaiting an engine rebuild and instillation. I am very happy with the initial kit that Shuiend has put together, and by the looks of the full kit he has I do believe that I'll be picking up the intercooler and intake kits from him as well.

Ive seen MKTurbo and I like it, my only question is, does the megasquirt come tuned or am I going to have to fiddle with learning to tune a boosted car and troubleshooting all the **** I will **** up?
I am willing to bet that the MS3 PRO that comes with the 1.6 kit will have a base map, but you will have to fiddle with the tune to get it optimal. This isn't the easiest thing to do, but starting slow by installing the ECU first will help mitigate the risk of damaging your engine. The community here at MiataTurbo has an extensive MegaSquirt knowledge base that has the answers hidden in the nooks and crannies of this site. Every now and again you may come upon an issue to explicitly outlined in another post (in my experience it was caused by me misunderstanding a setting) but the community is good with responding to questions, particularly if you've tried to find the solution yourself before coming to them.
kick-rennedy is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 05:33 PM
  #4  
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,315
Total Cats: 1,630
Default

A standalone ecu needs to be tuned, period.
concealer404 is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:08 PM
  #5  
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 3,183
Total Cats: 389
Default

you dont have a miata yet, but it needs to be a 1.6? why? I dont understand. Is it because of the moar revier revs?
ryansmoneypit is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 PM
  #6  
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,987
Total Cats: 611
Default

Originally Posted by Opti View Post
Saw Bell tuning but seemed like slim pickings with no intercooled options (I may have missed them)
Avoid this.

As I see it, your best bets for what you are looking for (in order of personal preference) are MKTurbo and tune, or FM with doodoo box.

Obviously, you already know about supporting mods, so just determine how scared you are of tuning.
MKTurbo is the best bang for your buck.
Monk is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 639
Total Cats: 19
Default

Dang ive been feeling extra lazy lately.

Am I missing any of the decent prefabbed options besides MKTurbo, FM, or Begi?
Opti is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 639
Total Cats: 19
Default

Originally Posted by ryansmoneypit View Post
you dont have a miata yet, but it needs to be a 1.6? why? I dont understand. Is it because of the moar revier revs?
Id rather it not turn into a 1.6 vs 1.8 thread, but short version is old enough to be emissions exempt.
Opti is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 639
Total Cats: 19
Default

Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Avoid this.

As I see it, your best bets for what you are looking for (in order of personal preference) are MKTurbo and tune, or FM with doodoo box.

Obviously, you already know about supporting mods, so just determine how scared you are of tuning.
MKTurbo is the best bang for your buck.
Is the doodoo box terrible?
Opti is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:25 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 525
Total Cats: 77
Default

Originally Posted by Opti View Post
Id rather it not turn into a 1.6 vs 1.8 thread, but short version is old enough to be emissions exempt.
Buy 1.6 car. Throw 1.6 motor in the trash. Buy and install BP4W/BP6D. Win at life.

Or you could look for a 94 or 95. 1.8 motor, stronger diff, and OBD1 so no plug-in emissions.
dleavitt is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:31 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 639
Total Cats: 19
Default

Originally Posted by dleavitt View Post
Buy 1.6 car. Throw 1.6 motor in the trash. Buy and install BP4W/BP6D. Win at life.

Or you could look for a 94 or 95. 1.8 motor, stronger diff, and OBD1 so no plug-in emissions.

Id love to get a na8 but then I have to pass a dyno emissions test for at a minimum 2 more years, which is a huge pita now, because its pretty rare the dynos get used these days and if you can find one its probably down, or at a minimum out of calibration.
Opti is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:32 PM
  #12  
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 14,431
Total Cats: 1,340
Default

I am partial to the MKTurbo setup, but then again I make them. Yes you will have to tune the MSPNP-PRO. It will come with a basemap and then you go from that. It does come with phone support from DIY Autotune if you do need help tuning or have questions you can't find an answer to.
shuiend is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:36 PM
  #13  
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,987
Total Cats: 611
Default

Originally Posted by Opti View Post
Dang ive been feeling extra lazy lately.

Am I missing any of the decent prefabbed options besides MKTurbo, FM, or Begi?
Forget about BEGI.
For a proven street setup, you aren't going to beat the other two options.

Originally Posted by Opti View Post
Is the doodoo box terrible?
The honest answer is that it will work, but the MS is going to be much better all around.
One of the major benefits of the MKTurbo setup is the full 3" exhaust with Uber quiet muffler.
Don't discount that.
I completely understand the reasoning for keeping the 1.6. Obviously you know the 1.8 is better, so we won't go there.
Monk is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:48 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 639
Total Cats: 19
Default

Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
I am partial to the MKTurbo setup, but then again I make them. Yes you will have to tune the MSPNP-PRO. It will come with a basemap and then you go from that. It does come with phone support from DIY Autotune if you do need help tuning or have questions you can't find an answer to.

I understand you dont offer other mufflers, but would a kit, sans muffler, just straight pipe, be doable?
Opti is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 PM
  #15  
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 14,431
Total Cats: 1,340
Default

Originally Posted by Opti View Post
I understand you dont offer other mufflers, but would a kit, sans muffler, just straight pipe, be doable?
Nope. It's what I offer or nothing.
shuiend is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:51 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 639
Total Cats: 19
Default

Well, Ill say so far you have my GFs vote, mainly because you have kitty in your logo, and your slogan
Opti is offline  
Old 07-20-2017, 03:59 PM
  #17  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Woostuh, MA
Posts: 3,927
Total Cats: 109
Default

Your GF sounds smart.

There's also the Kraken manifold in the classifieds. It doesn't come with an exhaust though, so if you end up wanting a 3 inch exhaust with the fixins that lars offers, it's likely going to be far cheaper to get his kit instead of trying to have an exhaust come from somewhere else.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 11:21 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Sebring, FL
Posts: 115
Total Cats: 6
Default

I bought the MK kit, with intercooler. I've never tuned a car before and I'm not the best wrench in town. I managed to get it tuned, start well and idle by adjusting the base tune. It's not that hard. Kit fits great and has been reliable. I think going with the ms3 is the best way.
joe morreale is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:31 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kensington, MD
Posts: 580
Total Cats: -20
Default

Originally Posted by Opti View Post
Dang ive been feeling extra lazy lately.

Am I missing any of the decent prefabbed options besides MKTurbo, FM, or Begi?
Trackspeed?
huesmann is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 08:47 PM
  #20  
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,987
Total Cats: 611
Default

That's not a complete kit yet, although the parts are top notch.
Monk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.