fuel level/consumption - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
GeneSplicer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,006
Total Cats: 147
Default

Yes master...

I'll dig into the tank and see which way the sock is pointing - looking at this pic - I can see the difference between the oem and aftermarket socks

Attached Thumbnails
fuel level/consumption-side%252520by%252520side.jpg  
GeneSplicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Oh. Ok. Sock orientation matters. Learned something new. :|

Seriously, thank you.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
GeneSplicer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,006
Total Cats: 147
Default

Yep - pulled mine and mine was 180 the other way... and squished. BUT that's the only way the aftermarket pump would allow it to go without modifying the bottom retaining plate that supports the sock and pump - which means my pump was not designed for the miata. Time for a new pump I guess
GeneSplicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: south texas
Posts: 1,419
Total Cats: 9
Default

i got my walboro form a dsm, and fits just like yours. no problems. I did however have a problem like yours about 2 years ago. i was thinking fuel starvation as well, but i could add fuel and it would still do it. while corner working a pca de/tt one day, i was describing the issue to an older guy that ran a shop in town. He suggested that i first try a new gas cap. He said he had cars in for repair that had bad gas caps and wouldn't keep the tank pressurised. my gas cap was the original on a '95 with almost 200k so i figured it was cheap and easy to try first. ordered one from mazda dealer, to make sure i got a good quality cap, can't remember how much it was but i think it was under $10. well, that took care of it because i haven't had a problem since. give it a shot.
spoolin2bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolin2bars View Post
i got my walboro form a dsm, and fits just like yours. no problems. I did however have a problem like yours about 2 years ago. i was thinking fuel starvation as well, but i could add fuel and it would still do it. while corner working a pca de/tt one day, i was describing the issue to an older guy that ran a shop in town. He suggested that i first try a new gas cap. He said he had cars in for repair that had bad gas caps and wouldn't keep the tank pressurised. my gas cap was the original on a '95 with almost 200k so i figured it was cheap and easy to try first. ordered one from mazda dealer, to make sure i got a good quality cap, can't remember how much it was but i think it was under $10. well, that took care of it because i haven't had a problem since. give it a shot.
That's a great fix. Thanks.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #26
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneSplicer View Post
Yep - pulled mine and mine was 180 the other way... and squished. BUT that's the only way the aftermarket pump would allow it to go without modifying the bottom retaining plate that supports the sock and pump - which means my pump was not designed for the miata. Time for a new pump I guess
Yep, that's definitely it. Walbro makes a direct replacement for sure, and I think the DW300 also has the same dimensions/mounts on the bottom.

The internal sock and such are important enough that if I ever need a huge boatload of fuel, it will be an in-tank Walbro/DW300 feeding an external Bosch 044. I don't ever anticipate needing more fuel than what a DW300 can provide, though.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
GeneSplicer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,006
Total Cats: 147
Default

Seems MAperformance is the main dealer for the DW300 - time to carry stock Sav, or is there no profit in them? Anyway - the DW has applications for both models of the NA body which I thought was strange - in my limited knowledge base, is there a difference in fuel tanks between the two?
GeneSplicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

My experience agrees with Savington's statement. I had a fuel starvation issue that would pop up on the track in the corners when I was at about 1/3 a tank. Long story short the previous owner did a less than stellar job retrofitting a fuel pump. I replaced it with a Walbro with the proper pick up filter (the main difference) and viola, no fuel starving problems anymore, even when the fuel gauge reads empty.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #29
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bay area, ca
Posts: 551
Total Cats: 19
Default

While we're on the topic of fuel starvation, has anyone had a problem with the fuel level reading low when you're out on the track?
orion4096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,311
Total Cats: 1,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion4096 View Post
While we're on the topic of fuel starvation, has anyone had a problem with the fuel level reading low when you're out on the track?
lulz. Mr. drift, your thread is ready.

Once we get our IQ3 and capacitive sender set up dialed on Crusher, I'll drop you a line.
We're using something like this with a bendable shaft. Scale it however you like in the IQ3. We tried a digital gauge with the stock sender and have struggled to get meaningful readings.

Attached Thumbnails
fuel level/consumption-fuel_level_sender1.jpg  
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #31
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneSplicer View Post
Yes master...

I'll dig into the tank and see which way the sock is pointing - looking at this pic - I can see the difference between the oem and aftermarket socks

I had similar problem with fuel starvation trying to run a supra pump. Bastardized in place even with an OEM sock on it very close to the stock position in the tank.

What I have learned is the fuel sock needs to be exactly like OEM and exactly in the OEM orientation and position or possibly just 1/4" lower for glorious fuel pickup to occur.

Installed a Detchwerks pump with Walbro mounting hardware and all problems went away. I have put more than 10gallons in without a fuel starve issue.

Bob
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #32
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default



We can get DW300s. Just haven't had time to get it onto the site. I'll be adding a bunch of stuff over the next couple of weeks.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
I had similar problem with fuel starvation trying to run a supra pump. Bastardized in place even with an OEM sock on it very close to the stock position in the tank.
That is exactly what happened to me (bastardized Supra pump, sock not exactly like the stock one). Amazing how much difference it made really.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #34
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,317
Total Cats: 1,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion4096 View Post
I'm probably the last one to figure this out, but the stock fuel level sensor is pretty useless when you're out on the track.
Didn't Bonni Weatherwax do some work in this area several years ago?

I haven't heard from her in forever.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM
"Chimney Ethanol" E100 MiataGarage Engine Performance 5 09-30-2015 12:04 AM
why is my car running like pewp? (tune/datalog) itsMikey MSPNP 3 09-28-2015 07:40 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.