Full Containment Seats - OMP vs. Cobra - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Race Prep Miata race-only chat.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #21
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 201
Total Cats: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreston View Post
Wow, that's a steal. I was already thinking about trying an HTE-R 400 and that may push me over the edge. Anyone close to KY wanna go halvsies on shipping with me?

They also have FIA HANS devices for cheap, and the lowest price I've ever seen on Schroth Enduro belts. Also Schroth Clubmans with 5-year FIA cert (and 2" lap belt, which you can't even buy in the US) for $185.
Like I said, everything is crazy cheap! I bought a Sparco steering wheel too. I believe we have Brexit to thank for this.
mx592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #22
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 201
Total Cats: 34
Default

Another note, UPS is charging a $141 brokerage fee. Still saving money, but kindof a PITA.
mx592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:30 AM   #23
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 201
Total Cats: 34
Default

Just wired a 240V, 30A circuit into my garage. Might have to pick up one of these little guys....http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...-wave-TIG.aspx
mx592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NorthWest NJ
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx592 View Post
Another note, UPS is charging a $141 brokerage fee. Still saving money, but kindof a PITA.
You can refuse it and do the Import paperwork yourself as far as I know. At least that is what I found last time I looked.
x_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 231
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx592 View Post
Just wired a 240V, 30A circuit into my garage. Might have to pick up one of these little guys....http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...-wave-TIG.aspx
Can't beat it for the money, especially when you look at what an equivalent Dynasty or even Thermal Arc unit sells for.
Supe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #26
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,905
Total Cats: 1,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_25 View Post
You can refuse it and do the Import paperwork yourself as far as I know. At least that is what I found last time I looked.
UPS only charges brokerage on their low-tier international options. Expedited and Express = no brokerage fee. Often times the difference is less than the brokerage fee would have been, and you get your stuff in half the time (or less).
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #27
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,853
Total Cats: 993
Default

Andrew, my HTE-R 400 is at TC if you want to check it out. I think it's going to become the go to fitment for non-chunky drivers in the NA/NB.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 701
Total Cats: 16
Default

Can anyone confirm or not the Racetech 4009 HR fitting?....I am very surprised to see above that OG Racing say it does...but being a New Zealand Brand makes a great option for us and would be perfect for my new track only lite weight build this off season....
mx5-kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #29
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 321
Total Cats: 39
Default

I know the RT4009HR fits, but not sure about the modifications required. I sat in one in a miata, so it's definitely possible.

Do most halo seats completely block off passenger side window visibility? If so, how does everyone get visibility back? I know it's a noob question...but wondering if all Halo seats cause that issue. When my wife sits in the Sparco Circuit she can see out the pass. window but I can't due to having a much longer torso.

To put the seat to good use, maybe I can convince her to try out a track day in my car after I get the other safety stuff in order
Dustin1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 231
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1824 View Post
I know the RT4009HR fits, but not sure about the modifications required. I sat in one in a miata, so it's definitely possible.

Do most halo seats completely block off passenger side window visibility? If so, how does everyone get visibility back? I know it's a noob question...but wondering if all Halo seats cause that issue. When my wife sits in the Sparco Circuit she can see out the pass. window but I can't due to having a much longer torso.

To put the seat to good use, maybe I can convince her to try out a track day in my car after I get the other safety stuff in order
In mine, I have excellent side to side visibility with the helmet on. With no helmet, I lose a bit from my head resting further back.
Supe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #31
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,706
Total Cats: 357
Default

If she can sit in the seat and look out the side window under the halo, she doesn't fit the seat.

For me, the Circuit (which has a very obstructive halo) blocked most of my view of the side windows. The solution is convex mirrors placed where you can see them without turning your head much. Set up right, you can view nearly the whole 360 of the car without moving your head more than about 10.

I have a Sparco Ergo in the office (the one with the removable halos) which I'll be trying next, but the jury is still out on that one (almost no layback so getting positioning right will mean lots of recline, requiring custom side mounts).

Last edited by ThePass; 07-27-2016 at 12:36 AM.
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 1,976
Total Cats: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
Can't beat it for the money, especially when you look at what an equivalent Dynasty or even Thermal Arc unit sells for.
You absolutely cannot compare a Dynasty to those two units. Whole different category.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #33
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 201
Total Cats: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmoneypit View Post
You absolutely cannot compare a Dynasty to those two units. Whole different category.
Agreed, its more comparable to a Diversion or Syncrowave 210.
mx592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #34
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 201
Total Cats: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
UPS only charges brokerage on their low-tier international options. Expedited and Express = no brokerage fee. Often times the difference is less than the brokerage fee would have been, and you get your stuff in half the time (or less).
They shipped UPS express saver. The total shipment value was ~$1300 so the brokerage fees were about 10%. However I ordered on 7/22 and they showed up on 7/25 so I would say they got here pretty damn fast...

mx592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 231
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmoneypit View Post
You absolutely cannot compare a Dynasty to those two units. Whole different category.
Sheer power output aside, I have yet to come across a single home or small business owner that NEEDED the pulse control adjustments of a Dynasty, and I've dealt with everything from welding of surgical equipment to machine welding applications for nuclear construction. At the end of the day, it has very few practical features for anything outside of welding very thin alloys. For at home automotive welding, any GTAW machine with AC balance, AC frequency, and pulse control can absolutely be bucketed with a Dynasty.
Supe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dousman, WI
Posts: 116
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Andrew, my HTE-R 400 is at TC if you want to check it out. I think it's going to become the go to fitment for non-chunky drivers in the NA/NB.
Dare I even ask about full containment seats for chunky drivers in the NA/NB, or should I just stick with Ultrashield?
mekilljoydammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #37
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 1,976
Total Cats: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
Sheer power output aside, I have yet to come across a single home or small business owner that NEEDED the pulse control adjustments of a Dynasty, and I've dealt with everything from welding of surgical equipment to machine welding applications for nuclear construction. At the end of the day, it has very few practical features for anything outside of welding very thin alloys. For at home automotive welding, any GTAW machine with AC balance, AC frequency, and pulse control can absolutely be bucketed with a Dynasty.
Fair enough. I use an old square wave Lincoln most of the time. The Dynasty was just a real treat when I got to use it.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 231
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
Dare I even ask about full containment seats for chunky drivers in the NA/NB, or should I just stick with Ultrashield?
Just a side note, the Ultrashield seat covers on certain models don't pad the sides of the thigh/hip area. It makes no difference in comfort, but does give a little looser fitment (in my experience) than an equivalently sized Kirkey. If you can test drive the Ultrashield seat of your choosing, do it. You may find yourself able to go an inch smaller.
Supe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dousman, WI
Posts: 116
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
Just a side note, the Ultrashield seat covers on certain models don't pad the sides of the thigh/hip area. It makes no difference in comfort, but does give a little looser fitment (in my experience) than an equivalently sized Kirkey. If you can test drive the Ultrashield seat of your choosing, do it. You may find yourself able to go an inch smaller.
I have both kicking around - honestly really like the Ultrashield roadrace seat in our T4 MX5, but it's not a containment seat and the NC isn't the NA.
mekilljoydammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #40
afm
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 535
Total Cats: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Andrew, my HTE-R 400 is at TC if you want to check it out. I think it's going to become the go to fitment for non-chunky drivers in the NA/NB.
Just bought one of these at Wine Country -- moving my Ergo to the passenger side. The HTE-R 400 is supremely comfortable for the non-chunky.
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sparco Suit Blow out sale!! orders over $100 free shipping. OGRacing OG Racing 2 02-07-2017 09:54 AM
Making Composite Parts 1993ka24det Race Prep 49 06-22-2016 05:26 PM
Car wont go in gear when hot Hificruzer226 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 3 05-16-2016 07:16 PM
Removing ball bearings from crank journals Madjak Race Prep 29 05-01-2016 10:21 PM
Questions for Best Setup Megasquirt Install drizzay222 MEGAsquirt 0 04-26-2016 03:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.